When TT3 was the next Big Thing

The two vans are Parkside; there's a kit for 9' underframe and one for a 10' underframe. Each kit will do a fitted or unfitted van or a fruit van; the fruit van is the one with roof vents. The brake van is Cambrian Models. Not sure about the cattle truck.

The Fish van (cattle?) has a brass baseplate and buffer beams so maybe is an etched kit or just a scratbuilt chassis? I only know as there is a little paint missing at one end, the wagons are too good to do anything else to. After removing the fitted couplings I will have to put a little packing behind the buffer beams to fit Tri-ang couplings on. Two wagons have 3 link which I find hard to do in 0 gauge never mind TT.

Garry

Hi Garry,

It's a fish van from the days, when it was conveyed in open/semi open vehicles for ventilation - to let the smell out? The GWR had some rather nice open wagons of which I have long intended to make a model . They had all gone by the end of 1927 (I wonder why?).

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5276

http://www.blokpost-nul.nl/Project_GWR_Tadpole_CDJ/Project_GWR_Tadpole_cdj.htm 

(In Dutch sorry) (I've found an add-on to Google Translate, but find it usually translates to Spanish for some reason. Knowing Italian makes this a relatively minor problem, but still a PITA.)

My EM stock has 3 link/screw couplings. They look good, but are fiddly and require minimal slop between wheel and rail and wheel anr axlebox coupled with wide radii to avoid buffer locking. The rest has some sort of automatic coupling.

David

The TADPOLE link appears to not work so I'll try again

EDIT It's come in bold for some reason but won't go away.

There are also designs with a guard's compartment. This must have been a popular job.

Edited by Il Grifone

The TADPOLE link appears to not work so I'll try again

EDIT It's come in bold for some reason but won't go away.

There are also designs with a guard's compartment. This must have been a popular job.

What has come up is a 6 wheeled 0 gauge 4 or 5 plank open wagon with the header Fish wagon which seems strange.

Garry

A nice bargain of a little J27 has appeared. Runs quite well without a clean so hopefully better when cleaned. It is scratch built around the Tri-ang Jinty chassis but fitted with smaller Romford wheels. Obviously it will get a repaint into BR livery sometime.  The tender centre wheels need some lateral play, or, have their flanges removed as some curves are too tight for the ridged wheelbase.

Garry

post-22530-0-15406500-1544638719_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-43039800-1544638743_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A nice bargain of a little J27 has appeared. Runs quite well without a clean so hopefully better when cleaned. It is scratch built around the Tri-ang Jinty chassis but fitted with smaller Romford wheels. Obviously it will get a repaint into BR livery sometime.  The tender centre wheels need some lateral play, or, have their flanges removed as some curves are too tight for the ridged wheelbase.

Garry

Looks like the old Blick dry-print transfers. What a boon they were in the late 60s/early 70s.

What has come up is a 6 wheeled 0 gauge 4 or 5 plank open wagon with the header Fish wagon which seems strange.

Garry

Hi Garry,

That's the beast!  (I couldn't find a photo of the prototype).  An open wagon for presumably fish in boxes.  ( I don't know why TADPOLE as tadpoles aren't fish. The later BLOATER for the vans was much more appropriate (not that logic seems to have played any part in GWR telegraphic codes). In 1942 it became FISH which is logical and uses less characters.

There were various designs of these things, including ones with a guard's compartment in the middle. They were vacuum fitted express goods vehicles, so presumably the standard goods brake was unsuitable. I thought a model in the 1912-22 crimson would be attractive. There is a suggestion going around that this wasn't applied to NPCS, but I don't see why. If the carriage colour was crimson, there wouldn't be stocks of brown, I would have thought. There is photo of a horse box (PACO!) around 1920, which is definitely crimson. All were scrapped by 1927 (many on Christmas day! - probably some legal/financial reason?).

David

Edited by Il Grifone

Looks like the old Blick dry-print transfers. What a boon they were in the late 60s/early 70s.

I still have some wagons lettered with Blick and/or Letraset. I have some dry-print Southern Railway ones I bought years ago for a Dublo R1 still to use.

Some are still available (Smiths sell a limited range), but they only have limited typefaces. There are some which would be fine for lettering  'SANTA FE' on Tri-ang passenger cars*, except they only do the large size.  :(  Decals from the U.S.,  would cost more than the rest of the vehicle.... My attempt at hand lettering was less than perfect!

* They are 'only' a scale 70 foot long for an 87 foot prototype, but have two advantages:-  1. cheap and 2. reduced overhang on sharp curves. I'll beg the usual H0 bodge of TT scale length.

• Like 1

I still have some wagons lettered with Blick and/or Letraset. I have some dry-print Southern Railway ones I bought years ago for a Dublo R1 still to use.

Some are still available (Smiths sell a limited range), but they only have limited typefaces. There are some which would be fine for lettering  'SANTA FE' on Tri-ang passenger cars*, except they only do the large size.  :(  Decals from the U.S.,  would cost more than the rest of the vehicle.... My attempt at hand lettering was less than perfect!

* They are 'only' a scale 70 foot long for an 87 foot prototype, but have two advantages:-  1. cheap and 2. reduced overhang on sharp curves. I'll beg the usual H0 bodge of TT scale length.

Hi David,

According to a Tri-ang's words in a booklet of theirs they made all their continental stock to HO scale so it would match in height etc to the British 00 they did so tunnels etc did not need larger clearances and models all looked "roughly" the same size.

Garry

Garry

Plenty of these in York like this photo on August 30th 1963 so this will be the number I will use when I repaint it.  No doubt I must have seen it along with a few others but as kids we did not take much notice of goods and tank engines unfortunately.

Garry

post-22530-0-66926300-1544693316_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi David,

According to a Tri-ang's words in a booklet of theirs they made all their continental stock to HO scale so it would match in height etc to the British 00 they did so tunnels etc did not need larger clearances and models all looked "roughly" the same size.

Garry

They must have had a flexible ruler (borrowed from a fisherman?). The passenger cars are H0 scale and match up well with U.S. models, but the R55 etc. diesels are rather generously proportioned. The C.P.R Pacific likewise. She measures 36mm wide and 55mm to the top of the chimney (approx.) about 10' 3" and 15' 9" in H0 which seems a tad generous even by North American standards (I'll have to see if I can find the actual dimensions). She stands taller than the Santa Fe tender she is presently coupled to (her own has succumbed to the acetate syndrome!). Not a lot but enough to see that they don't match. The sixties SNCF brake van was decidedly 00. but I would hesitaate to use the ferm 'scale' with the caricature it was designed to partner. Perhaps by H0 they intended 1:80 (sort of) like Rivarossi, though their North American models are all H0, excepting the wheels. (They run well on Peco Streamline and Formoway code 100, but I doubt they would be as happy on finer scale track.)

No dimensions but interesting and a picture of the real thing. My tender lloks like the one illustrated, just more beat up weathered. I liked (and agree with) the comment lower down of the chuff -chuff effect in the Gresley tender. Mine will not have one of these tenders, despite that I have a couple of spare bodies.(The first modification to my 'Flying Scotsman' was

to remove the chuff, by swopping wheelsets.

https://tri-ang.weebly.com/4-6-2-steam-loco--tender.html

Apparently the bell from the real 2335 was for sale. Mine won't have blinkers either!

At least the driving wheels are the right size (near enough).

http://mcmrailvideos.com/s-bell_2335.html

In all this off topic waffle, I've omitted to say I like the J27. Unless it's been varnished the dry-print should come off quite easily. (Letraset suggested, for colours not in their range, to paint the colour required for the lattering , apply transfers, and then paint over in the surround colour. Once dry, the lettering can be removed with sellotape. (Maybe even the Chinese rubbish will work!)

Once plain black, add numbers and a pair of starving lions. Doing it properly then goes on the 'roundtuit' list.

EDIT more :offtopic:

I've just noticed the tender in the bottom picture looks like the ATSF one. I could add the number plates on the locomotive and reletter the tender.... :)

Edited by Il Grifone

Once plain black, add numbers and a pair of starving lions. Doing it properly then goes on the 'roundtuit' list.

EDIT more :offtopic:

I've just noticed the tender in the bottom picture looks like the ATSF one. I could add the number plates on the locomotive and reletter the tender.... :)

This loco like the others will be stripped in the Caustic Soda and done properly. 

I have just received another J72 so a couple more smokebox plates have been ordered with the new J72 being 68686, another York loco but in plain black this time.

Garry

• 3 weeks later...

A collection was delivered today with some interesting examples in it. A couple of green A4's and one blue one, this needs a repaint into the correct shade. The 2P has been fitted with the K's tender power unit. A couple of the M/N cab-Brit body conversions although one has a standard Britannia tender. A well painted GW Castle, some Mk1's in Teak livery and 4 Blue and Grey coaches. I would not buy these specifically as I am not into these colours but they may find their way onto the layout. The DMU's are in various states but most locos need cleaning and most likely a repaint. A few interesting Jinty liveries too.  There are quite a few with open spoked wheels too which is a bonus.

Garry

post-22530-0-92435600-1546635871_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-24021700-1546635914_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-59253500-1546635978_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

A start has been made on the 3 A4's I received recently. The paintwork was not too good so it has been rubbed down and the joint filled. I decided against a full strip on these for a few reasons so will be brush painted instead of sprayed. All have spoked wheels and when finished the blue one will be sold, hopefully I will get some LNER blue at the Pontefract show this weekend to get on with it, the Teak coaches have already gone. I was not going to keep the green ones but may well do depending on how they turn out.

Garry

post-22530-0-43712500-1548341653_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry chaps but I have had enough of this site since it has been updated and bombarding me with e-mails.  Once it was back I had to reset my password, then it timed out, then I had to reset my password again.  I am not going to start to go through every thread to set preferences. 4 times to log in and 4 times to reset password, no, this is not for me. A good site spoilt. To make it secure I have removed my address as the people I speak to have it now. 

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

You don't need to set preferences for every thread. You can stop receiving email notifications quite easily.

Must be me but there are things on the new system which are far quicker than in previous incarnations.

The site is now more secure..unlike your email address...

Baz

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Only problem I've had is that for every thread I get a question asking if I wish to receive notifications from the site. Have been getting  this more with a number of other sites as well. Finally I decided to look into it and found that the actual question was from the browser (Firefox) presumably after a request from the site. Quick change of Firefox settings, dead easy, and I'm now free from the annoying question. And the notifications. For all sites.

Nigel

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm sorry to see Garry give up on the site, but understand his decision and have some sympathy for it.  Others may have different views, which I accept and respect, but for me the changes and "upgrades" are more a pain the bum than a benefit. Now I'm past 70 I have an increasing preference for letting well alone if things are working OK, as I have a lot of things I'd still like to do in this life, and don't want to spend precious time wrestling with technology change for little return.  It may be that there were underlying technical issues with the site that needed addressing. But it seems that many of the changes, small and large, to the "look and feel" of the site, have resulted in a lot of irritation and frustration among some users.  I don't want to dump on those who did the work - it was no doubt hard and thankless.  But my preference would have been for fewer changes, implemented in a way which had minimal impact on the users.

I hope Garry comes back in time.  His contributions on this and other threads have been both inspirational and of practical help to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

Sorry chaps but I have had enough of this site since it has been updated and bombarding me with e-mails.  Once it was back I had to reset my password, then it timed out, then I had to reset my password again.  I am not going to start to go through every thread to set preferences. 4 times to log in and 4 times to reset password, no, this is not for me. A good site spoilt. To make it secure I have removed my address as the people I speak to have it now. 

Garry

I don't know what went wrong with your setup, but all I can say, its working perfectly for me. No repeated requests for log in or endless email notifications (which I detest).

The site seems to be working better for me, especially when I'm out and using the mobile. 

• Agree 1

Updates are always a PITA.

I don't know why they can't leave things alone ( I LIKED XP...). Fix what needs fixing and that's it!

IF IT AIN'T BROKE. DON'T FIX IT!    (Shouting intentional!)

• Like 1