When TT3 was the next Big Thing

Here is a nice Duchess I bought last year.  It has now had the LMS painted over and is awaiting BRITISH  RAILWAYS wording on the tender and a BR number.  The coaches are again my own PC drawn and printed ones of mainly porthole stock.  It is getting a new name, City of Nottingham.

Garry

City of Coventry 1.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Buildings in this scale are a little issue as there are only some of the old Biltezzi prints left.  These do not look attractive so I have made some from card and used the Biltezzi windows and doors.  The relief paper is from Country Scenics and although it is embossed wallpaper it looks fine.  Roof tiles are from York Model Makers.

Garry

Parcels_office.JPG

Hotel and shoe shop.JPG

Attic house.JPG

2 offices.JPG

Goods shed.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Before and after views of the end of the layout where the tracks leave/enter the single bore tunnels to the station.  The original was Wrenn track just laid on cork, now it is Peco streamline.  When I bought the layout there was no connection between the inner and outer lines so there is now a trailing crossover at each end.  There is still some scenic work to do but a lot better than the plain end I think although that was supposed to represent a layout built in the 60's but I wanted to be more realistic as such.

The signal box here is a Hornby 00 one which does not look out of place.

Garry

Terrace 1.JPG

Station corner 1.JPG

Station end before me.jpg

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 9

Hi Garry,i have quite a lot of N scale Bilteezi sheets which I printed when i was a colour photo copier engineer.I could probably scan a few &put them on here or in a message from which you should be able to scale up & print out if ideally,you have an A3 printer.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I am in the process of editing our weekly Newsletter (Leeds MRS CIO). It contains part 1 of an Article by Alan Smith aboout Lydney. Possibly the most well known TT layout ....

Takes me back a long time..helping to operate it at Wakefield Show in the Unity Hall...

Baz

• Like 2

Hi, I have the RM editions following Lydney right up to the last one in the early 70's.  I used to love seeing it from its initial small layout to what it turned out like, a far cry from its origin.  I saw it a few times at York, Leeds, Wakefield etc.  A true inspiration.

Garry

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 30 April 2020 at 16:18, Silverfox17 said:

Here is a nice Duchess I bought last year.  It has now had the LMS painted over and is awaiting BRITISH  RAILWAYS wording on the tender and a BR number.  The coaches are again my own PC drawn and printed ones of mainly porthole stock.  It is getting a new name, City of Nottingham.

Garry

City of Coventry 1.JPG

Do you know who built the 'Duchess' Garry?

I remember seeing a very fine unpainted one built by the talented young Jeremy Suter at a 3mm Society meeting at Hazel Grove about 1977, I wonder if that's it?

Dava

• Like 1

Sorry Dava, I cannot help with the answer as I have no idea.  I bought the loco off Ebay about 6 months ago.  It has been very nicely constructed, especially the rivet detail.  Looking at the bogie wheels it suggests quite a long time ago as I have not seen those for sale for a long time.  Also it is fitted with a K's motor which is a little noisy but I can cope with it.  I did want to do it in BR blue but the boiler bands are too thick to put a transfer on top and so neatly done I do not want to file them off so it will be 1948 BR black.

Here it is in action.

Garry

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

I am in the process of editing our weekly Newsletter (Leeds MRS CIO). It contains part 1 of an Article by Alan Smith aboout Lydney. Possibly the most well known TT layout ....

Takes me back a long time..helping to operate it at Wakefield Show in the Unity Hall...

Baz

My (our) first Leeds Show in 1976 - I operated New Lydney for pretty well the whole time.

A couple of views of the station canopy.  It is not in position now as there is still a lot of work going on where it will get in the way.  On one photo you can see how the baseboard joins were which prompted me to relay everything.  I did have to put 3 new boards down in the fiddle yard as that area was very poor and I struggled to get just one line working in each direction.

Garry

Station canopy 1.JPG

New canopy.JPG

• Like 7

That's right Sarah, these were what I had a long time ago on my old 00 layout but were sold/lost. When I needed some last year I noticed most were plastic, later design?  Then I saw someone selling them individually and thought about it but then new boxed sets in pairs cheaper than an individual column, £4 for two canopies with 4 columns so that was it, a few boxes bought. 

Garry 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 11:22, Silverfox17 said:

Buildings in this scale are a little issue as there are only some of the old Biltezzi prints left.  These do not look attractive so I have made some from card and used the Biltezzi windows and doors.  The relief paper is from Country Scenics and although it is embossed wallpaper it looks fine.  Roof tiles are from York Model Makers.

Garry

Parcels_office.JPG

Hotel and shoe shop.JPG

Attic house.JPG

2 offices.JPG

Goods shed.JPG

Hi Garry, 

can you give more info on the Country Scenics embossed paper? A Google search doesn't help!

Many thanks

David.

On 02/05/2020 at 11:22, Silverfox17 said:

Garry

Parcels_office.JPG

Hotel and shoe shop.JPG

Attic house.JPG

2 offices.JPG

Goods shed.JPG

For buildings it's worth knowing that the Jouef and MKD ranges are generally small to scale for H0, I think MKD (now a Hornby brand) are generally reckoned to be around 1:100 scale which is almost spot on for 3mm/ft . The buildigns are based on French prototypes but it wouldn't take much to anglicise them. I noticed that the Portsea Harbour layout in 3mm scale used the jouef "Mairie" (town hall) building as a Royal Naval HQ buiding and it looked right.

• Like 1

A few people have used the Teignmouth station building for TT models.  I have the Heljan signal box which only needs a couple of mm off the bottom but don't need it for this layout.

Converting foreign buildings to English is not for me but I have seen Portsea in magazines and know the owner having helped him operate one of his layouts.

I have one of the Hornby station variations as my main one as it seems far too small for 00 but it is not one of their N gauge ones and looks okay for TT.  The two signal boxes are both Hornby Skaledale ones which again do not look out of place.  The church is a Hornby Skaledale, (as is the Pub and school) but it is the same size wise as the Biltezzi TT one.

Building mine from card and embossed paper is cheap and I can build it to fit where needed.

Garry

• Like 4

These are Hornby Skaledale 00 buildings which do not look out of place.  An old school is like a church with very high roofs and windows so this looks fine.  These photos were before the track was lifted and replaced with Peco.

Not all buildings look right as the waiting room was far too big so it is a question of getting what looks right.

Garry 

New station building 2.JPG

Church Comparison.JPG

Scene 2 - Copy.JPG

Ground level box.JPG

York South box 2.JPG

Schools.JPG

• Like 4

Can anyone remember a range of buildings for TT-3 that included a "modern image" station building. It came in a slightly cream coloured injection moulded plastic and I was struck (actually a bit disappointed if truth be told)   by the very simple shapes.

I had the kit in the late 1950s- early1960s when I was trying to get TT-3 to work but can't remember who made them. 

• Like 1