GWR Collett 2251 Class

cctransuk

I am currently building Puffers chassis for two Mainline / Bachmann 2251 0-6-0s, and I intend to add as much detail as possible. I have sourced a lot of fittings from Martin Finney.

Firstly, I need a photo of the backhead, so that I can apply all of the detail parts to the basic casting.

My prototypes are 3215 and 3216 as running on the S&DJR in 1961. The former had a Collett 4000 gallon tender and the latter a 3500 gallon tender.

Does anyone know the numbers of the tenders attached to these two locos in 1961.

Does anyone have a photos of the rear of Collett 3500 and 4000 gallon tenders?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

Are you sure about the 4000g tender? The 2251's ran mainly with Collett 3000g and some with Churchward 3500g tenders.

The only photo I could readily find of 3215 on the S&D shows it paired with the usual long valance Collett 3000g type.

Attached are a couple of images of the 3000g tender from 3205 taken at Buckfastleigh last summer whilst running with 3803. Hope they are of use.

Regards,

Andy.

post-7049-126979741075_thumb.jpg

post-7049-126979742564_thumb.jpg

Are you sure about the 4000g tender? The 2251's ran mainly with Collett 3000g and some with Churchward 3500g tenders.

Seems I'm showing my ignorance of GWR tenders.

What I am referring to are the two types of tender that have been supplied with the Mainline / Bachmann 2251.

3215 had this :-

post-2274-126985479479_thumb.jpg

3216 had this :-

post-2274-126985481004_thumb.jpg

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

The most common tender found behind the 2251's was the Collett 3000g type as supplied by Mainline/Bachman and as you have pictured for your model of 3215 (version shown in my images posted yesterday).

The other black varient you have pictured looks to be an older Churchward 3500g tender (with the shorter valances) that a few of the 2251's inherited from withdrawn Aberdare locomotives. I did not realise Bachmann had produced this tender RTR (must pay more attention)!

Be aware though that the longer valanced Churchward 3500g tender (as found behind 43xx & 28xx) and also produced by Bachmann, was more common behind 2251's than the earlier version. I'm sure the latest weathered black release from Bachmann has this type.

I can't seem to unearth a picture of 3216 around 1961 to say for sure which version it was paired with. If I was a betting man though I would have thought it more likely to be the longer valanced Churcward type as the earlier tenders were withdrawn quickly.

There.....clear as mud! GW tenders are a minefield and just to confuse things more, many of the later build Churchward style tenders were actually built during Collett's tenure as CME mainly to go behind his 2884 class.blink.gif

Regards,

Andy.

The other black varient you have pictured looks to be an older Churchward 3500g tender (with the shorter valances) that a few of the 2251's inherited from withdrawn Aberdare locomotives. I did not realise Bachmann had produced this tender RTR (must pay more attention)!

Be aware though that the longer valanced Churchward 3500g tender (as found behind 43xx & 28xx) and also produced by Bachmann, was more common behind 2251's than the earlier version. I'm sure the latest weathered black release from Bachmann has this type.

Ohhh dear - I'm confusing myself now !! I hadn't realised that I'd posted a picture of a short valanced tender - it depicts a Nu-cast tender.

The tender that I have for 3216 is Mainline / Bachmann :-

post-2274-126986383094_thumb.jpg

As you correctly point out - this is the version attached to the latest Bachmann release :-

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

John.

post-2274-126985481004.jpg

That is a 3000 gallon.

post-2274-126986383094.jpg

That is a Churchward rivetted 3500 gallon with a later-pattern underframe.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Now - back to the original query - does anyone know of a photo of a 2251 backhead or can quote the numbers of the tenders attached to 3215 & 3216 in 1961?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Good stuff.

I have the latest weathered version and I have been looking for some colour pictures of weathered black ones to help me enhance the weathering but no luck yet, but happened upon the cab shot :-)

I have the latest weathered version and I have been looking for some colour pictures of weathered black ones to help me enhance the weathering but no luck yet.

Garry,

There is a nice shot of 2253 at Old Oak Common in Ian Allan's 'Heyday of 81A and its Locomotives'. It is in pretty filthy condition if that is your desired finish! Later in the same book is a fantastic image of 2875 in work weary black that has provided the inspiration for many of my freight loco's.

Good colour photo's of 2251's in black are few and far between, with the lined green Cambrian and S&D loco's seeming to hog the limelight.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Best I can manage - thus far - is as follows

From Postcards

2251 Apparently new but definitely ex-works, Churchward tender, 'Great Western' in full on tender

2204 Apparently new. Churchward tender with 'shirt button'

3206 1952 (it says on the card) ROD tender, large emblem

Haresnape's book

2285 ROD tender lettered GWR - no date.

2223 August 1948, Collett tender lettered 'British Railways' in GWR's typeface.

3200 August 1954 black, Churchward tender, large emblem

3218 August 1962 unlined green, Collett tender.

3210 August 1961, lined green, Collett tender.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

John,

How did you get on with this project, any photos of the finished loco?

I am in the process of going to town on the detailing of a Bachmann 2250, and would be interested to see how others have tackled the improvements. Would in particular be intersted in which Finney bits you were using.

Cheers

John,

How did you get on with this project, any photos of the finished loco?

I am in the process of going to town on the detailing of a Bachmann 2250, and would be interested to see how others have tackled the improvements. Would in particular be intersted in which Finney bits you were using.

Cheers

Like most of my projects, this one was deferred pending retirement. Between the daytime job and supplying transfers, there was no time left for modelling!

Retirement now having arrived, and the fitting out of my office / workshop completed, modelling has recommenced.

However, I have a number of partially completed projects that I've promised myself will take priority. Principal amongst these is a full rake of Kitmaster Midland Pullman kits, obtained via Ebay at considerable cost, that MUST be completed before the Bachmann model is released. I know that it'll never see the light of day if the arrival of the latter precedes completion!

The 2251 Finney bits are almost exclusively cab interior fittings, as far as I can recall - though there's definitely replacement brass chimney and topfeed / safety valve from some source or other. Obviously a turned brass smokebox door dart and sprung buffers have also been obtained.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived