Lambourn Branch 1950s

• RMweb Premium

I am wondering if any fans of  GW /WR could help me identify the Collett coach shown in the attached photo?  The photo was taken at Lambourn station in the 1950s.

I suspect it is a Diagram E140 or perhaps a D109 but l can not tell if it is a composite brake or an all third brake, can anyone please help?

Fingers crossed

Bob C

post-404-0-81974700-1501332286.png

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it's an E140, which were always in 'B-set' pairs. Lambourne was fond of running single brake composites, so it may be one of the E145 'singles'.

It could be the same as

http://lambournvalleyrailway.info/stations+crossings/lambourn/1950s/File0492a.jpg

Thank you Miss Prism, that's interesting as l d not considered the E145. At least you ve answered one quest as to whether the single coaches were all thirds or composites, so l just need to find a photo of an E140 on the branch now!

Many thanks for you assistance

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

This may be a clearer image?  Dated to 1957.

attachicon.gifLambourn station 1957_rmweb.jpg

Thank you for posting this photo, is this an example of an E145 that Miss Prism mentioned?. The window corners look round to my eyes, making me think its a BR Suburban coach, but the end fittings and bogies suggest GW origins?

• RMweb Premium

It's a BR suburban foreigner.

Thank you Miss Prism, at least my eyes are not failing me quite yet. Just thinking about your comment re Non corridor coaches, from what l ve found so far it the corridor stock that seems to be far less common on the branch? I think l ve only found one Collett brake (Sunshine stock) so far

I don't think it's an E140, which were always in 'B-set' pairs. Lambourne was fond of running single brake composites, so it may be one of the E145 'singles'.

It could be the same as

http://lambournvalleyrailway.info/stations+crossings/lambourn/1950s/File0492a.jpg

The first pic is too pixellated to be clear but the recessed guard's door is visible.  The coach in the second pic does not have a recessed guard's door and is therefore not the same.  You may have been thinking of E147, some of which were able to run singly.  I do not think that E145s were thus equipped.

By the mid 50s the sets in which D109 brake thirds ran had been broken up and dispersed.  My money is on the coach in the pixellated pic being one of those.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The first pic is too pixellated to be clear but the recessed guard's door is visible.  The coach in the second pic does not have a recessed guard's door and is therefore not the same.  You may have been thinking of E147, some of which were able to run singly.  I do not think that E145s were thus equipped.

By the mid 50s the sets in which D109 brake thirds ran had been broken up and dispersed.  My money is on the coach in the pixellated pic being one of those.

Chris

Many thanks Chris,

I was wondering if it could have been a D109. I wonder if Lionheart/Dapol will release their D109 as single coaches?

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting Miss Prism, thank you for posting these two. Yes the 1st photo does look like a Hawksworth abet in maroon. its very interesting the range of coaching stock which ran on the branch in its last 6 years.

• RMweb Gold

It's hard with the pixelation, but I reckon I can discern the end windows of a Hawksworth flat ended non-gangwayed coach. and suspect that the 'recessed door' is in fact an open one.  Not nailing my colours to the mast on this, just saying what it looks a bit like to me...

• RMweb Premium

It's hard with the pixelation, but I reckon I can discern the end windows of a Hawksworth flat ended non-gangwayed coach. and suspect that the 'recessed door' is in fact an open one.  Not nailing my colours to the mast on this, just saying what it looks a bit like to me...

Thanks Johnster, that's an other coach l could add to my stock list then!!

Bob C

Always happy to help... Comet kits, I think.

If only.  The GW suburban kits made by Comet are of Collett parentage.

The OP's photograph seems clearer this morning for some reason.  I'l stick with D109.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

If only.  The GW suburban kits made by Comet are of Collett parentage.

The OP's photograph seems clearer this morning for some reason.  I'l stick with D109.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris

That's an order for a LHT631 going in this afternoon!

Many thanks

Bob C

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...