The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Crossingman said:

An interesting layout and design, I like the way you are able to fold the circular piece of your layout. 

Its amazing how much wiring can go into a layout and your little Ruston engine looks great.

Thanks for that.

The folding loop is no more than a copy of a normal lifting flap, just joined together. 

As the main board will sit on the existing trestles, I didn't want a whole second board just for the loop, and a complete board would be almost 4' square, so this seemed a suitable compromise. 

( I'll wager it's still less wiring than DCC would be :)

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Uncouplers.

I purchased some bolts today, to replace the originals I'd previously cut ( for DM4MS v1) and were now too short.

These have again been cut to length, plus I took the opportunity to add a tap washer to the top to give some support.

20191007_191851.jpg.e7c84acb5c65f5172904fc06f47e4b4c.jpg

The first two are installed and the 3rd is ready.

Successful testing has been done for each, with a temporary supply, a length of track and a suitably enhanced wagon (it's got some iron wire stuck to the coupling hook).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Two of the sidings are now cut to size and the remaining cork stuck down.

Once the last uncoupler is in place I can then complete the track & uncoupler wiring, prior to connecting to the choc bloc.

One minor piece of advice - if you're going to use a 25-way plug & socket, source some 25-way cable first, that is capable of taking >1 amp current.

I have been offered some possibly suitable cable, but I might have to replace the 1 x 25 with 3 x 9 way instead.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

At the end of last evening's modelling, I was hunting for the 4.5mm drill bit for the M5 bolt for the 4th uncoupler. I knew I'd put it safe with the dingham's bits, in the small box in the larger 'track' box. But could I find it?

Just realised I put it in the plastic bag with the new uncoupler, in the box, in the box, which I'd lifted out to search... D'oh!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

At the end of last evening's modelling, I was hunting for the 4.5mm drill bit for the M5 bolt for the 4th uncoupler. I knew I'd put it safe with the dingham's bits, in the small box in the larger 'track' box. But could I find it?

Just realised I put it in the plastic bag with the new uncoupler, in the box, in the box, which I'd lifted out to search... D'oh!

Remember our discussion about the Stevenage club's "Box"?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a more positive note, the Ruston has definitely benefited from rolling round in circles.

It'll be the Peckett's turn next, plus one or two others, such as 4555.

Like others have found, it's quite therapeutic listening to a loco circulating. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

More wiring tonight.

The 4th uncoupler is in and all but the track is wired to chocblocs under the upper board.

Next is to lay the track and bridge, which will also mean adding the track feeds.

After this the upper board can be fixed in place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On Tuesday, October 08, 2019 at 14:27, Stubby47 said:

On a more positive note, the Ruston has definitely benefited from rolling round in circles.

It'll be the Peckett's turn next, plus one or two others, such as 4555.

Like others have found, it's quite therapeutic listening to a loco circulating. 

I tend to nod off........

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Re-wiring diagram.

This has been updated to match the changes to the Panel and the 25-way cable socket.

wiring_diagram.png.6081961118c70cfda76f2cbed8e658f5.png

The spreadsheet has also been expanded to keep track of wire colours between connection points.

baseboard_connections.png.081011c8ccac2edcce6f600373780c1e.png

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The auto coach is probably my longest item of rolling stock and is an option, with either a 14xx or 64xx, to trundle round the Circle until I've made the self-powered clay hood.

Other choices are a Class 118 pair in green whiskers or blue.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The auto coach is probably my longest item of rolling stock and is an option, with either a 14xx or 64xx, to trundle round the Circle until I've made the self-powered clay hood.

Other choices are a Class 118 pair in green whiskers or blue.

I am not sure blue whiskers would suit you.

It is worth giving the DMUs a run to make sure they don't bash the hinge in case they need to step up and replace the Auto coach.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am not sure blue whiskers would suit you.

It is worth giving the DMUs a run to make sure they don't bash the hinge in case they need to step up and replace the Auto coach.

For the avoidance of doubt, I "agreed" with both sentences.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1