The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Starting to think about the buildings on the main street behind the stores yard.

As I've said previously, these will be based on ones in Chacewater, a little village not far from Truro.

These are some examples, I quite like the little bay windows on the Post office and the Bakery, and the larger ones on the ex-shop on the right.

chacewater_1.JPG.87e91ee6ea22ed8efb21dad94ee13f09.JPG

I accept that the different finishes to the walls are probably more modern than my potential operating era (s), there are plenty of examples further along of more traditional stonework.

The library might make a nice focal point.

chacewater_library.JPG.ee279e5b9e9463c67c73a3f36b72b9c6.JPG

I'll need a corner shop (or a shop on a corner).

chacewater_2.JPG.20728f29192b04f7d19e1e3ade369362.JPG

and there's always a need for a pub

chacewater_pub.JPG.4f859c65436b71a4c9457e0f8b2ea9da.JPG

Hmmmm, like this too, but not sure if there's room...

chacewater_3.JPG.97a099aac96d973f760bd829ccab72cd.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Starting to think about the buildings on the main street behind the stores yard.

As I've said previously, these will be based on ones in Chacewater, a little village not far from Truro.

These are some examples, I quite like the little bay windows on the Post office and the Bakery, and the larger ones on the ex-shop on the right.

chacewater_1.JPG.87e91ee6ea22ed8efb21dad94ee13f09.JPG

I accept that the different finishes to the walls are probably more modern than my potential operating era (s), there are plenty of examples further along of more traditional stonework.

The library might make a nice focal point.

chacewater_library.JPG.ee279e5b9e9463c67c73a3f36b72b9c6.JPG

I'll need a corner shop (or a shop on a corner).

chacewater_2.JPG.20728f29192b04f7d19e1e3ade369362.JPG

and there's always a need for a pub

chacewater_pub.JPG.4f859c65436b71a4c9457e0f8b2ea9da.JPG

Hmmmm, like this too, but not sure if there's room...

chacewater_3.JPG.97a099aac96d973f760bd829ccab72cd.JPG

Thanks, Stu, for these photos of the everyday rather than the exceptional.

Whether you have room for the cottage or not, that milestone is crying out to be modelled.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not the best lighting for these, but a couple of images of the Ruston with it's new coat of blue paint.

I'll be quite heavily weathering this, so the few areas of red paint have been left to help the rustying.

blue_ruston_1.jpg.eaa9e3855f5d53feea8df7f6411bd233.jpgblue_ruston_2.jpg.c52e98eed1f335513c7c4ef3449ad041.jpg

The handrails need repainting, the chimney and buffer heads need weathering and the whole lot needs rust and china clay adding.

Plus a pit & tip logo.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:09, Stubby47 said:

I thought with the wasp stripes and white doors, there's less to paint blue. I know it's not prototypical, but for shuffling a few wagons around an imaginary store's sidings, it should be acceptable.

No doubt I can find some 'tip & pit' transfers from somewhere as well.

Edit:  These will do: https://fox-transfers.co.uk/ecc-international-stainless-steel-bodied-tanker-logos-64192

Hmm, went to order these and noted the 60p surcharge (no mention of what for) on orders less than £6.00.

If that's all I need to buy, why should I pay extra ?  Ok, 60p is not the end of the world, and I guess processing a small order makes it less economical for the supplier, but I've not ordered for the time being.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Hmm, went to order these and noted the 60p surcharge (no mention of what for) on orders less than £6.00.

If that's all I need to buy, why should I pay extra ?  Ok, 60p is not the end of the world, and I guess processing a small order makes it less economical for the supplier, but I've not ordered for the time being.

Hi Stu

At a guess that is what the bank charges them for small transactions. I agree they should say why.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been trying to find a suitable 'location' for the layout to fit with the existing railway infrastructure around the clay pit area.

I was under the impression that the existing 'Drinnick Stores' were never on the rail network, but looking at Google Earth images there appears to have been, at one time, a rail connection to the west end of the stores compound.

stores_line.JPG.759c0be8e2e28621967f5002280adc86.JPG

In fact, a street view of one of the lanes still shows a 'Beware of Train's sign.

trains_sign.JPG.964761c814ae1a358614f9efb473e05b.JPG

However, this doesn't fit with the topography of T-CATS, so I need to find somewhere else.

The Circle needs to be on the main route into/out of the clay area, to justify both the endless clay hoods train and the optional DMU passenger train, whilst The Stores needs to be a logical extension to the existing network.   

I have one or two ideas, but am fully open to suggestions.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I've been trying to find a suitable 'location' for the layout to fit with the existing railway infrastructure around the clay pit area.

I was under the impression that the existing 'Drinnick Stores' were never on the rail network, but looking at Google Earth images there appears to have been, at one time, a rail connection to the west end of the stores compound.

stores_line.JPG.759c0be8e2e28621967f5002280adc86.JPG

In fact, a street view of one of the lanes still shows a 'Beware of Train's sign.

trains_sign.JPG.964761c814ae1a358614f9efb473e05b.JPG

However, this doesn't fit with the topography of T-CATS, so I need to find somewhere else.

The Circle needs to be on the main route into/out of the clay area, to justify both the endless clay hoods train and the optional DMU passenger train, whilst The Stores needs to be a logical extension to the existing network.   

I have one or two ideas, but am fully open to suggestions.

How about doing what I've done on the Mid-Cornwall Lines and change history so that the Burngullow - St Dennis Junction line becomes the main route to Newquay? The Stores could be on a spur from that, rather like the old set-up at Drinnick Mill but passing over the "main" line instead of underneath.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How about doing what I've done on the Mid-Cornwall Lines and change history so that the Burngullow - St Dennis Junction line becomes the main route to Newquay? The Stores could be on a spur from that, rather like the old set-up at Drinnick Mill but passing over the "main" line instead of underneath.

I do like that idea,  it had sort of occured to me when perusing the map.

There is a potential site at Foxhole, but the main is straight not curved. The spur would come off  northward then swing west then east in a clockwise direction around the two ponds, then cross the main to the stores.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking in more details at the Nanpean  / Drinnick Stores sidings, I found some photos on the Cornwall Railway Society website.

The small building between the tracks at the junction appears to no longer exist - but might be included if I have room as it's a quirky shape. 

Also, the National Library of Scotland map for Nanpean shows the Wharf sidings and the reverse line to the ECC Power Station, running under Drinnick Mill Station.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After what has been a month of complete inactivity, except for a bit of internet surfing, I have today ordered a High Level Kits Fly Shunter unit, to fit inside a clay hood.

I'm hoping one will be sufficient to move the whole train, but if needed a second one would certainly provide enough power.

I also picked up a couple of 'John Lovering' wagons from KMRC last week, as I have the Dapol set of 4 clay POs, plus a couple of other local wagons, so I could run the inglenook with just those and a pannier, whilst a 14xx & auto coach trundles around underneath.

I am not at all tempted by an all blue, large logo Class 37. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, a model of the Literary Institute has been started.

chacewater_library.JPG.1d30dff7c50fb8b8e469e474efcdf02e.JPG

main_walls_1.jpg.040d0b301ea269a5333cb4f5de38f19a.jpg

I'm intending to create a few building shells that need windows making using the cutter, so I can do them all from one sheet of 5thou at the same time.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 9