The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Hah, a plaster, and a whack with a plastic mallet.

Both now sorted.

Oh how I miss your humour, usually at Hayle show but sometimes at Bodmin as well, here's to getting back to as normal as it gets in Cornwall soon :jester:. Simon

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The motors shown are a selection of test prints, so are not all 100% correct - this is fine as these can be heavily weathered and stuck in the repair / scrap pile.

I also have 9 'new' ones, 3 in each size, to paint up and put in the 'just arrived, ready for distribution' section.

I need to make some pumps and monitors (water jet nozzles) now as well.  Plus some lengths of conveyor belt, stacks of bearings, rolls/coils of pipe and some pipe fittings.  Plus other stuff as well, probably.

https://www.goodwoodscenics.co.uk/ - usual disclaimers apply.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You just need to build the conveyor to go with it ;)

converyor.png.8a044f610bdaad527f26cc8d839b89d1.png

My company's name removed to protect the innocent, plus it's one of my drawings so it probably won't fit without some onsite bodgery :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

More ground works in the yard.

The mirror is helping to set the clearance for the rolling stock as the ground raises slightly.

The Wills cobbles are in place and glued,  the next decision is whether to drop the yard floor by 5mm again before the building - this will make the yard access easier around to the left , but also complicates the contour modelling.

20200816_120754.jpg.6ca5277809e56a7ab33d20ba6941e63a.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Looks like you’re a couple weights missing :P

There are two cans on the right, stacked. 

However, these are No2 Son's preferred flavour, so I don't really care how many are missing as long as there are enough for my use :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark, though that particular flavour of cider is consumed by No.2 son - it was just handy.

The paint has dried, so I tried a light sanding to bring back the tops of the cobbles.

I got a bit too enthusiastic in parts, hence the white gouges, but a further touch up will cover those.

1653579124_20201009_0913422.jpg.4883d49866a0c8a6a006136155a86325.jpg

As the layout is up on the garage framework, for this modelling I need to stand on some domestic steps.

This has got me thinking as to the ideal viewing height, and that at that height the cobbles will hardly be seen.

However,  as part of the unseen scene (like the BCB cottages) they will make up the overall ambience of The Stores, so care and diligence won't be wasted.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2020 at 14:08, Stubby47 said:

T-CATS is now on the other end of the frames, under the strip light and with the backscene temporarily in place.

20200718_140439.jpg.329450ed7fae85590ade13a38bd5e9ee.jpg

20200718_140449.jpg.fcea8e71da230151f7001211f0bc39e9.jpg

Stu, I would hate to break up the flow of your account, but could you tell us a bit about how you painted your backscene? It seems to have just the sort of nondescript air about it I want for my own layout.

- Richard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Full credit must go to @Andrew P and his superb tutorial  

Basically it's a sheet of pull-up roller display plastic, with some pastel blue chalky paint sprayed on, in random patterns leaving the lower sky white.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

10 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Richard,

Basically it's a sheet of pull-up roller display plastic, with some pastel blue chalky paint sprayed on, in random patterns leaving the lower sky white.

Thanks for the mention Stu, and you've done a cracking job, well done.:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Richard,

Well - I have watched Andy's superb tutorial and I think I owe it to myself to have a go. It has got to be best to try to make your backscene if you possibly can. So - I have a ply backscene already in place. I will try to paint this white (I have some white eggshell paint), and then try adding the Ford Olympic Blue paint. I only really need a sky, the setting is supposed to be fairly desolate and I will do my best to make it minimal.

- Richard.

• Like 3