DJLC - A Few Ideas

Echo

• RMweb Premium

Closer to home, there are a number of photos of mixed gauge points at Zell-am-Zee, Austria on this page of Dave F's photos topic (scroll up and down and enlarge as required):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98009-a-few-of-dave-fs-european-railway-photos-updated-8th-august-2017/page-27&do=findComment&comment=2561212

There is a full mixed gauge point where both routes are mixed gauge, one where the standard gauge diverges from the mixed, and one where the narrow gauge diverges from the mixed. However, the narrow gauge diverges away from the shared rail across the standard gauge rail, the opposite to your diagrams.

Edited by Ian Morgan

no catch points planned ( i can not recall seeing any evidence of one  on the  EKLR pre 1948 )  perhaps you  have  mis- interpreted my basic plan which I have incorrectly drawn  I have not made it  clear eg   standard gauge to branch narrow gauge strait ? 

as a aside please retain this thread  although if  possible perhaps renamed  to DJLC so we can see what others are thinking prior to their own threads  ( its only a idea) :scratchhead:

Nick  

edit for yet more pp English from me

Sorry, I obviously misinterpreted your plan.

The idea of creating this thread was for anyone to use it. I was a bit worried to start with that maybe no one else was interested, but resistance seems to be wearing thin now ;)

'DJLC' on its own as a title sounds a bit austere. I will leave it as it is for now.

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

still unsure but its small enough to build it and work out if its suitable with plenty of time to tweak and fettle   ( i.e.  make sure it works)  I'm tempted to make this  as a back to back with line No4 linking the two at home with a short fiddle yard although it may be easier to rework the train table.   One of the attractions of this is I find small layouts boring to operate and prefer talking with people, given my 2mm stuff is DCC the NG part would be DC and incorporate a basic shuttle to keep something moving 

My other idea although more involved was a railway in a heavily urban environment probably SR 3rd rail with the buildings restricting the views ideally as a roundy roundy ( at that I realized the off stage bits would dwarf the prime and scrubbed the idea

Nick

I had thought about something that would eventually make a roundy-roundy too.

Trains could easily be longer than the scenic portion. Thinking about a number of railway locations though, including my idea for Dudley, you would never see more than a few feet (in 2mm scale) of train anyway, no matter how long the train actually was. Particularly in urban areas, totally unrestricted views would be in short supply. The idea, often circulated, that trains should only occupy so much percent of a layout's length couldn't always apply.

I will in any case substitute cassettes for 'the rest of the layout' during the interim. 

• Like 1

I note there seems no restriction on height. One of those locations where track runs at three different levels would be an interesting prospect.

When at school we built a club layout that was just straight double track in a cutting 8ft long. Totally devoid of derailments all day, and pretty much lacking in interest to the viewer as well. Should have done an embankment in hindsight. 

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

I note there seems no restriction on height. One of those locations where track runs at three different levels would be an interesting prospect.

When at school we built a club layout that was just straight double track in a cutting 8ft long. Totally devoid of derailments all day, and pretty much lacking in interest to the viewer as well. Should have done an embankment in hindsight. 

Chris

I did think about Chesterfield, where 3 railways and a road intertwine at different levels - but there was no way a sensible extract could be squeezed into 2 sq ft

Just a note to say that I decided to go for the "Dudley" option in the end, mainly because I shall have a little more modelling time than I originally thought. I shall be calling it "Sadley Knott" - partly because of the compromises necessary to fit in the DJLC's maximum dimensions, but mainly to indicate my strong desire not to win anything. All I want to do really is have a go at finishing a layout.

post-26366-0-96674700-1501427139.jpg

I need to do a lot of background research before I take too deep a plunge. I will start a separate topic in due course.

It looks very interesting John, but be careful! Rice's sketches are sometimes extremely difficult to convert into workable models. This one might be very challenging for a beginner, with its reverse curves, tightly spaced pointwork - and a 3-way turnout too.  ;)

• RMweb Premium

Just a note to say that I decided to go for the "Dudley" option in the end, mainly because I shall have a little more modelling time than I originally thought. I shall be calling it "Sadley Knott" - partly because of the compromises necessary to fit in the DJLC's maximum dimensions, but mainly to indicate my strong desire not to win anything. All I want to do really is have a go at finishing a layout.

post-26366-0-96674700-1501427139.jpg

I need to do a lot of background research before I take too deep a plunge. I will start a separate topic in due course.

how are you planning the turntable

at a discussion at the last area group meeting I suggested the DJLC entries would be  and provided Jerry Clifford does not enter the Tucking Mill extension !   :jester:

1/ a diesel shed

2/ a steam shed possibly with a turntable

3/ a classic Inglenook industry

4/ light railway

given my predisposition,  my own if I enter  will be light railway possibly as suggested earlier with a  Narrow gauge feeder  ( just at the moment life is a bit awkward to commit  and I detest not meeting commitments   :stinker: )

Nick

i do not think this will scale down  the run round would be unusable

please prove me wrong 

Nick

When the DJLC was conceived it was acknowledged that it would not be possible to fit a sensible run-round within the scenic area.That's not to say that you can't have a run-round loop, just that one end would have to be off the board end.

Andy

at a discussion at the last area group meeting I suggested the DJLC entries would be  and provided Jerry Clifford does not enter the Tucking Mill extension !   :jester:

1/ a diesel shed

4/ light railway

given my predisposition,  my own if I enter  will be light railway possibly as suggested earlier with a  Narrow gauge feeder  ( just at the moment life is a bit awkward to commit  and I detest not meeting commitments   :stinker: )

Nick

Nick, the map shows an earlier period than the one I want to model. The turntable and the large carriage/loco shed next to it disappeared during WW2. By the era I am modelling there were just 4 sidings in open air - often used for Palethorpes Sausage vans. The TT was very small anyway, I believe so not much use with post-war locos.

My model will look more like this, heavily overgrown with weeds too!

post-26366-0-39928500-1501427135.jpg

You have some interesting ideas. I suspect that loco sheds would have to be mainly off-scene/low relief if you are going to fit pointwork on the baseboard too - unless it is of the one loco kind, of course. Another idea I thought of was to do just the interior of a loco shed, with one of the side walls cut away. There are normally no turnouts inside loco sheds though!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

1/ a diesel shed

4/ light railway

Nick

The extension to Tucking Mill,, William Smith's Wharf, is too big for the DJLC.

I am toying with an idea for an entry and it does fall into at least one of the above categories!!

Jerry

• Like 1