A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Newbridge Engineering

I thought it was about time I added Newbridge Engineering to the list of Cameo Competition entries.

The track plan is that of the basic Inglenook which is being built on a Tim Horn 4ft x 15 inches base board.

post-7071-0-19954500-1501503494_thumb.jpg

The track plan may vary during construction.

The track will be built to P4 standards. I have bought an assortment of LCut building parts for the main industrial buildings.

Gordon A

• Like 1

The current state of play.

post-7071-0-86576300-1501543411_thumb.jpg

The canal has been cut into the baseboard. The top cut out lowered to act as the canal bed.

The girder bridge is my third attempt, which I am still not very happy with, but will do for the moment.

Gordon A

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon,

On the basis that you're not entirely happy with the bridge at this stage and therefore I'm not creating additional work, what about adding the function of a swing or retractable bridge, bit like the one on the Bristol Docks next to the Ostrich? Could add a further (if a little precarious) headache to the shunting puzzle! :-)

Gordon,

On the basis that you're not entirely happy with the bridge at this stage and therefore I'm not creating additional work, what about adding the function of a swing or retractable bridge, bit like the one on the Bristol Docks next to the Ostrich? Could add a further (if a little precarious) headache to the shunting puzzle! :-)

Thanks for the thought but I am trying to keep it simple, except for the gates.

Gordon

Edited by Gordon A

• 4 weeks later...

A little progress has been made.

The bridge is now sat on its support pillars.

post-7071-0-99900200-1505240429_thumb.jpg

Reinforcing the bracing under the base board where I have cut through and removed sections of the bracing for the canal.

post-7071-0-57032100-1505240451_thumb.jpg

Gordon A

post-7071-0-12695100-1505240412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Had a good few hours modelling in the MMRG clubroom today.

Firstly finished off laying the track templates.

post-7071-0-34613600-1510345184_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-41863300-1510345216_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-86689100-1510345252_thumb.jpg

Then settled down to laying the timbers for the two points with a break for lunch (We have a café on site!)

post-7071-0-35967900-1510345406_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-44838200-1510345429_thumb.jpg

A very satisfying few hours.

Gordon A

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haven't got that far yet. There is access from the top as well.

Best of luck with it, anyway.

I couldn't work on a layout without access from all sides, which is why I will have to make my own boards when I eventually start work on my cameo entry.

• 1 month later...

Some progress has been made on the track front.

All the sleepers have been laid.

I am experimenting with some alcohol colour felt pens to colour the sleepers.

post-7071-0-92218400-1517004661_thumb.jpg

I used the brown felt pen to colour the template and a couple of the sleepers.

The two on the left hand side of the picture.

The other sleepers have been coloured with a grey felt pen.

I am planning that all the other sleepers will be buried out of sight.

To position the first rail on the sleepers I use a gauge originally produced by Alan Gibbson.

post-7071-0-90861800-1517004895_thumb.jpg

I thought I had lost my gauges box. Luckily Collin found the milling template and produced me some more.

I produce a gauge by assembling two gauges together with loco frame spacers, then add an end stop no deeper than the thickness of the sleepers that I am using.

The gauge straddles two chairs at a time.

post-7071-0-03828000-1517005110_thumb.jpg

I use the gauges to lay the first rail at a fixed distance from the end of the sleeper.

You need to be consistent in laying the sleepers.

post-7071-0-74448200-1517005441_thumb.jpg

The chairs are glued to the sleepers using butanol.

I use a weight on the gauges to maintain pressure while the glue is doing its job.

Progress.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

It is about time I updated this topic.

post-7071-0-81725700-1525772741_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-43596600-1525772776_thumb.jpg

This was the state of play late Monday morning.

I have not made as much progress as I had hoped, with all the sleepers having been stuck in place and rails to the long and short siding added.

The long sided has been ballasted and the sleepers coloured using a couple of felt pens.

I have also been thinking about the structure of the main works building using LCut components.

An all day session on BH Monday has resulted in most of the components for the first point having been fettled with assembly started and most of the components for the second point having been bent and filed. A good days modelling. 

Gordon A

post-7071-0-26538900-1525772705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Further progress.

post-7071-0-61378200-1527264512_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-01848900-1527264549_thumb.jpg

All the main rails have been added to the first point. Just continuos check rails and stretcher bar to add.

The second point started.

The start of Newbridge Engineering's buildings using L Cut components.

The guards van is an Oxford Railways six wheeled Toad.

Conversion was done by swapping Oxford Rails wheels from their axles then fitting Alan Gibson wheels to the axles.

I tested the van on Clutton at Expo EM where it performed with one derailment. 

Gordon A

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Newbridge Engineering.

(My aims – liable to change.)

The layout has been constructed as an entry for the Cameo Layout competition and to give me a small shunting layout to play with  test any stock I build or convert.

Newbridge Engineering is an industrial Inglenook style shunting layout set in the 1950’s.  The scene is that of an engineering works with a couple of sidings at the end of an industrial line.

The setting is nowhere in particular but influenced by some of the industrial settings that can be found around Bristol. Bristol was served by both the GWR and the Midland / LMS railways. There were also several industrial loco builders in the city as well as the docks railway.

The track has been hand built to P4 standards using full thickness ply sleepers, C&L and Exactoscale chairs along with some 0.6mm copper clad.

The locos will be a mixture of RTR modified and kit built fitted with P4 wheels.

The wagons will also be a mixture of RTR and kit built fitted with P4 wheels.

Coupling will be by Alex Jackson couplings with four electro magnets strategically located for uncoupling.

The two points will be operated by two Cobalt point levers with a third operating the gates into the yard from the fiddle yard. The gate also limits the length of line available for shunting moves. The points and gates will be actuated by radio control servos using the Mega Points system.

Control of the locos can be either DC or DCC depending which controller is plugged into the board.

The main factory building is being constructed using LCuts components.

One step forward, two steps backward.

As shown in some previous pictures I had laid the Templot templates followed by the sleepers.

I planned to fit the two shorter sidings and the track in with continuous check rails so vehicles could use the same route into the works.

I threaded the outer rail through the requisite number of check rail chairs and glued to the sleepers. Big mistake!

When I came to add the second check rail it proved virtually impossible. The lesson I learned was to thread both rails through the chairs

before gluing the chairs to the sleepers.

My "fix" was to remove all the check rail chairs with a scalpel very carefully.

I then threaded ordinary chairs for every other sleeper and glued to the sleepers.

The gaps left were filled by pieces of 0.6mm copperclad superglued to the sleeper.

I then added the check rail gauged off the opposite running rail, which was soldered to the copper clad chairs.

Having sorted my self out I am know making progress.

The switch blades and stretcher bars to the points.

post-7071-0-29409700-1531501736_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-59332200-1531501934_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-04514600-1531501959_thumb.jpg

Gordon A

• Like 3