Westonzoyland Pumping Station Museum

JMK

Westonzoyland Pumping Station Museum, near Bridgwater, Somerset will be steaming up for Easter (See flyer below). We have a small section of industrial 2ft narrow gauge railway with an ex peat works Lister and a Simplex locomotive with a range of rolling stock seen moving fire wood from storage to the portable Marshall boiler. The boiler supplies all the steam to the museums large working collection of stationary steam engines and pumps.

Please come a long and see what we are all about!

Regards Jason

www.wzlet.org

flyer.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just say 'Thank You' for posting this - I was not aware of its existence until I saw your post.

I went on Easter Monday and spent a very enjoyable couple of hours pottering around - the use of the railway to move the wood around was most enjoyable :D

All the volunteers were very helpful and friendly as well.

Cheers

I went on Friday afternoon with Richard L.

A most interesting few hours nosing around.

The home made fruit cake was excellent.

I liked the narrow gauge with Lister and Simplex motive power.

The narrow gauge traverser was an interesting"find".

The railway is not passenger carrying but was being used to feed broken pallets to the very large portable boiler, and move stuff around the site.

An interesting mixture of horizontal and verticle steam engines ticking over along with a steam winch being demonstrated by a couple of younger members.

The main rotary pump is quite impressive. Given its capabilities it would be nice to see it being used in anger.

All in all a most enjoyable afternoon.

Gordon A

Bristol

Gordon & Jules,

I am glad you had a great time, I was volunteering all 3 steaming days so I probably saw both of you! The fruit cake is my mothers and is gratefully received by the museum.

The main pump unfortunately doesn’t have the ability to pump due to revised water levels by the Environment Agency. The new 2010 DVD by one of our members does show one steam day where the diesel pumping unit next door had broken down and there was enough water in the centrifugal pump to prime it and lift it. On this occasion they pumped until it was nearly full up, then letting it drain back into the rhyne as the connection to the river is cut off.

The DVD is available from our website if you are interested. Please pass the message on that we are around and that you had such an enjoyable time! I will be posting our May steaming events on here as well in due course.

Regards Jason

www.wzlet.org

Archived