Weathered 1980s Blue - Locos and Stock

I did have Steve. But Photobucket dumped all the pictures. So I just have this running at the moment. Although doing this thread and getting some nice feed back has given me inspiration to build another small layout. So thanks.

Nice to see the latest.i also find it very inspirational and very helpfully with all feed back given on this sight. I really gives me the motivation to do more and better.

Go on get that layout started

Dan

I did have Steve. But Photobucket dumped all the pictures. So I just have this running at the moment. Although doing this thread and getting some nice feed back has given me inspiration to build another small layout. So thanks.

Be interested to see how the bullhead looks !

• 4 weeks later...

Very. very nice.

The silver buffer shanks on the vans look great - a small touch making all the difference.

Please could you tell me - it looks like you paint the Bachmann wheels.  Airbrush or paintbrush?  And what paint please?

CDF.

Hi CDF

Well I tried all sorts of methods some which worked well.

But I have settled on this.

I paint everything underframe buffers and wheels in Railmatch frame dirt.

I then use weathering powders various dirty brown rusty mixes and then black and/or rust to pick out details,

The buffer shanks are the last thing I do.

Pictures such as the ones I post are useful as they show up all the bad bits that you miss with the naked eye and it allows you to go back over and improve things. For example I have tweaked 47076 after putting the pictures up on this thread.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 1

Rob I see you are in Swindon, never seen wicker cliffs eh!

Although I think perhaps I should move the wicker cliffs for my next snaps

The cliffs and sea are just a dream from inside this post industrial hell.....!

• Like 1

Ah the post industrial hell - A sea of cookie cutter housing, Asda, Macdonalds interspersed with light industrial units.

Were you in Swindon when the works were still active?

No , I only came here 7 years ago as a defence against the house prices further up the M4 to where I came from in Bucks.

At least it still has up to two freight trains a day for the car and scrap works ...

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

Thanks for the positive coments

47076 Improved.

No wicker cliffs in these

post-17404-0-57696300-1506953213_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-36985600-1506953235_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-70043300-1506953263_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-68443000-1506953283_thumb.jpg

I have spent quite a bit of time reworking the dogfish as well.

Dapol´s 73124 in totaly the wrong blue and yellow should be with me soon. Ideally the thing would need respraying. So I am going to see if I can get the colours looking half decent and weathered using paint and powders. We shall see!

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 6

Dapol´s 73124 in totaly the wrong blue and yellow should be with me soon. Ideally the thing would need respraying. So I am going to see if I can get the colours looking half decent and weathered using paint and powders. We shall see!

More great stuff SB80's, thanks for posting - very inspirational.

I bought a Bachmann 37 284 recently and was mightily disappointed with the shade of BR blue, it was almost turquoise - well to my eyes!

Managed to tone it right down just using Tamiya and Humbrol powders. Looking great now.

Now I intend to address the underframe, tanks and bogies trying your methods as advised in post #40, so thanks for that information.

Just one more question - did you airbrush or brush paint the bogies etc?  And I am particularly interested how you do your wheels.

Many thanks.

CDF

CDF - I brush painted them.

I can use an airbrush, but I have very limited space at this time in life, so do not own one and so I have had to do what I can with paint and powders.

I will be interested to see how badly or well 73124 turns out. Good to know you had success with 37284 using powders.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Very. very nice.

The silver buffer shanks on the vans look great - a small touch making all the difference.

Please could you tell me - it looks like you paint the Bachmann wheels.  Airbrush or paintbrush?  And what paint please?

CDF.

The buffer shanks on those vans should not be silver. Buffer shanks on those vehicles even ex works are the same colour as the rest of the buffer, in service they get covered in crap and would be lubricated by C&W staff with oil/grease or a concoction of there own .

The only types of buffer you would see any "silver" on are hydraulic/pneumatic types (Oleo, Dowty).

Edited by 45125
  • Informative/Useful 1