Weathered 1980s Blue - Locos and Stock

10 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Hi Steve - some ideas for you

I would pick out the curved rain gutter with a hint of dirt underneath.

They look good. I sometimes tend to put  a hint of more rusty brown in to capture that dirt/brake dust.

There is some great wagon reference here, showing how often the locos and wagons had that rust brown on them

I also tend to use a stiff bush and work it in the direction that the water would run off the roof and push in more dirt where it would collect along drainage channels, vents and so on.

The Silver is a test of another technique. Dry brush paint onto masking take and apply in strips across the roof and then peel off and it leaves a stippled effect.

DSC00122.JPG.66908eafd44c5d8f0f38060b26d87c85.JPG

Ive used this "silver print" effect on a lot of my coaches too,realy effective with over lay of light brown airbrushing.

The careful brushed in with rust effects...:good:

Thanks Steve, some good ideas there, I saw a discussion about buffers on your thread, I never know whether they should be silver or not. With that shark I'm trying to work from a photo, so I need to look at that, although I find it difficult to translate the colours in the photo to paint colours. I'm getting there though and finding a lot of inspiration looking through your threads.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks Steve, some good ideas there, I saw a discussion about buffers on your thread, I never know whether they should be silver or not. With that shark I'm trying to work from a photo, so I need to look at that, although I find it difficult to translate the colours in the photo to paint colours. I'm getting there though and finding a lot of inspiration looking through your threads.

Steve.

Yes I went a bit mad with the silver paint at one point :)   So all my stock is now correct. And like you I now go to reference photographs to see what type of buffer was fitted and how it looked in real life.

Saxo Kid. Yes that is a good example of what I was testing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve, I've been looking back over your thread and some time ago you posted pics of some air braked vans with faded liveries, I was wondering how you did them, did you use your powders? I've tried a couple using an airbrush which I'm trying to get the hang of but it's a bit hairy! One slip of the finger and there's too much paint gone on! 

If you use the powders unsealed do you find the fade wears off at all? 

Steve.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/03/2019 at 04:45, sb67 said:

Steve.

If it is an OLEO or Dowty buffer the shank will be silver as it is polished hydraulic/pneumatic ram. All the other should be oily, greasy, grubby or rusty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/05/2019 at 20:16, SouthernBlue80s said:

Hi all. I am away from railways for a while. Will return later in the year.

This is occupying me... it will go to bed for the winter in October....and then the weathering powders come out.

903596787_60139514_330565314300471_6214099923852328960_ncrop.jpg.be153621b13b41e21b6dbd9ee46e6da3.jpg

Another great pass time this one

10 hours ago, saxokid said:

Another great pass time this one

It's gathering dust. It saw a lot of action in 2019. Donnington Park in March 2020 was its last outing just as the virus was taking hold. At the same time my income stopped due to Covid. 

It needs the downpipe welding and rear areo improving for high speed bends. But apart from that it is good to go. But who only knows when it will see daylight again!

It's a one off extremely specical car. With 10 years of engineering development in it so it isn't going anywhere.

So back to weathering for a year or two. Currently working on 56040. Will post up pictures soon.

A few parting shots of it in 2020 before it was put into I guess long term hibernation.

IMG_20200312_151803.jpg.3f002583a17f931b27c618d87a583bbc.jpg

Will post up my 56040 efforts soon

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Weathering of 56040.

1. Etched nameplates are on. 

The Fox nameplates are smaller than the Hornby ones. So I had to remove the Hornby transfers.

These were difficult compared to others I have done. So had to get the Tcut out.

Had to really work away at them. So not a perfect job but nothing a bit of weathering won't hide.

IMG_20210107_115700.jpg.bf85ae294c94483ee71885d0bad4f901.jpg

This image will just not display the right way, after all sorts of attempts. So here it is upside down!!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

It's gathering dust. It saw a lot of action in 2019. Donnington Park in March 2020 was its last outing just as the virus was taking hold. At the same time my income stopped due to Covid. 

It needs the downpipe welding and rear areo improving for high speed bends. But apart from that it is good to go. But who only knows when it will see daylight again!

It's a one off extremely specical car. With 10 years of engineering development in it so it isn't going anywhere.

So back to weathering for a year or two. Currently working on 56040. Will post up pictures soon.

A few parting shots of it in 2020 before it was put into I guess long term hibernation.

IMG_20200312_151803.jpg.3f002583a17f931b27c618d87a583bbc.jpg

Will post up my 56040 efforts soon

Cheers

Steve

Looks very nice Steve,i to play with cars and have odd trackday out when i can with my classic metro or mini cooper.

most of my older cars ive had from my youth back in early 1990s:sungum:

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Looks very nice Steve,i to play with cars and have odd trackday out when i can with my classic metro or mini cooper.

most of my older cars ive had from my youth back in early 1990s:sungum:

Yes I guess we will see what the track day/Motorsport scene looks like after Covid. Who knows. Mini cooper - cracking little things 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, SouthernBlue80s said:

Yes I guess we will see what the track day/Motorsport scene looks like after Covid. Who knows. Mini cooper - cracking little things 

Yer covid had realy messed things up at the moment with day to day life,got that many car things on hold along with our closed model railway club house.

no idea when things wil go back to normal..

• Agree 1

2. Buffer beam detail. Well how easy this is to fit varies from nightmare to very easy.

I thought, good a newish model. Shouldn't be a problem. The pipes were covered in thick paint and did not fit the holes.

So two options drill out the holes or thin the pipe ends. Given the nature of the pipes material, I drilled out the holes.

Lots of swearing and a bit of super glue later all in place.

Again not perfect. But I know from experience that paint and weathering powders will fill in gaps and blend it in.

It will be fairly heavily weathered unlike my 56001 which I did a light job on. 

A few pics. Holes drilled. Bogie sides off. Buffer beam detail in eventually.

All ready for the paint stage.

IMG_20210107_124308.jpg.d37f20c8e356113069ab9b6271a0eef1.jpg

IMG_20210107_131030.jpg.7b190556cd97f114ad23eccc22b82f60.jpg

IMG_20210107_134507.jpg.ad95e4ba7f54217c61d674e4de0bcf99.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nice work.

frustrating aren’t they ? I don t know any RTR diesels where you get 1/ enough/ correct pipes 2/ enough/ big enough holes.

the Bachmann 37 bufferbeam is the work of JK Rowlings imagination .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Nice work.

frustrating aren’t they ? I don t know any RTR diesels where you get 1/ enough/ correct pipes 2/ enough/ big enough holes.

the Bachmann 37 bufferbeam is the work of JK Rowlings imagination .

Agree. It's the only part of the process I don't like. Even just on a high detail model like this, it's a dogs dinner.

If I wanted it as an ex works model it would look a bit of a mess close up. 

However it's going to get mucky so no problem.

• Like 1

3. Paint stage. Railmatch frame dirt on the buffers and underside. 

I find this is a great base coat for the layers to come. A bit like painting your base board green brown before you static grass it.

I give this several passes and also vary the thickness. For example I notice that on the real thing even with a lot of muck on the red of the buffer beam still shows through a bit. So a thinner layer is on these.

I usually put black paint on the roof. But, after looking at pictures of 56s, I am going to give it a miss on this one.

The silver paint for steps, buffer shanks, chipped windows I leave right to last.

IMG_20210109_163313.jpg.ad7ab071e2f6658b5c421b8b8d58d203.jpg

IMG_20210109_163257.jpg.3ed3267e4cffd2dce65baa7f82ed9764.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2