Gairloch (a slight change of direction)

andyram

1 hour ago, calvin Streeting said:

a place to look is under the rail where the elec contact goes as cgravel there under contact can do that as it pushes the contact up so it hits closing rail..  have a look.. :) and good luck

Capture.JPG.3f551491813fb7ff9355d46de6964854.JPG

Thanks. I will check that out this evening when I get home from the shop. The last thing I want to do is have to rip up the point and replace.

14 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

a place to look is under the rail where the elec contact goes as cgravel there under contact can do that as it pushes the contact up so it hits closing rail..  have a look.. :) and good luck

Capture.JPG.3f551491813fb7ff9355d46de6964854.JPG

Had another look at the offending point today. The lack of content is not at the point where the arrow is, but on the opposite side (the inside). I have cleaned out the ballast but the point still will not switch fully. The slight gap between the rail and the closing rail. It looks like I may have to rip it up and start again.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

Dam.. :) there are a few more places. As pulling up a turnout is a git. Down the side of tie bar. Especially near the spring. Also do the blades turn properly or just bend as I once glued the pivot by accident :)

Thanks I will check. Normally I have managed to fix such issues but this has beaten me thus far.

• 1 year later...

It has been quite some time since I posted an update on Gairloch. The problems with the point succeeded in eroding the modelling mojo, and then family issues got in the way. We began the process of applying to become foster carers last year, completing the process in August 2019. By October we had the first child placed with us which meant a massive reshuffle of the spare room. Gairloch was evicted to the garage for store and there it remains with no further work having taken place. 

We have since had two different children placed with us, with the second placement ending in July. After difficulties with the social workers, we have opted to put our fostering career on the backburner until next year at least. The spare room has been redecorated and I have permission to bring Gairloch back inside once more so hopefully I can start to report progress again soon. With a bit of luck the model will be back in-situ within a couple of weeks and the first job will be to try and fix or replace the troublesome point. The problem will be that, to remove it, I would also have to remove the Y point too. I do wonder if I can run an electrical feed from one end of the point through into the loop to allow for the power to be continuous. It may be easier than ripping up the points and relaying them. Plenty to think about. Hopefully more to report soon.

• Friendly/supportive 2