The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MarkC said:

As for the ship detentions - there is going to be more of this - but if other countries still refuse transit pax, or enforce crazy restrictions or outright bans on arrivals from certain areas, what can one do?

Mark

..Not deliver stuff to and from said countries.

The shelves emptying is a big motivator!

Kev.

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

M'yes, but unless everyone did it, it wouldn't work. Remember what I said about modern day 'crimping agents'?

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

I doubt that would make any difference particularly in view of Mark's earlier comments about modern day equivalents of crimping agents.   Quite what goes on with the detained ships sounds a bit odd to me as presumably there's no particular problem getting crew members off ships in Uk ports and around the coast (and there are an awful lot of large cruise ships involved plus several not so large) because from what JJB has posted in the past there seems to be no UK problem about letting crew members off ships in order to get to an airport to travel home.  I wonder if the problem is at home or intermediately which would block their journey or is it basically because the ship owners are doing nothing to get their people home?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I doubt that would make any difference particularly in view of Mark's earlier comments about modern day equivalents of crimping agents.   Quite what goes on with the detained ships sounds a bit odd to me as presumably there's no particular problem getting crew members off ships in Uk ports and around the coast (and there are an awful lot of large cruise ships involved plus several not so large) because from what JJB has posted in the past there seems to be no UK problem about letting crew members off ships in order to get to an airport to travel home.  I wonder if the problem is at home or intermediately which would block their journey or is it basically because the ship owners are doing nothing to get their people home?

In the overwhelming majority of cases it's the home states and/or intermediate countries that are the problem. Yes, there are some bad owners, but in this particular case I understand that it's <home authority> primarily to blame.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all,

Bit of plea for identification here. I’ve got this wonderful old book by Daniel Kinnear Clarke from 1893, and it has the some excellent illustrations of the engines and boilers of the S.S. Coot.  Unfortunately the internet seems to be devoid of any such ship, so I am asking if anybody on here might be able to find it. She was constructed by the Central Marine Engineering Company  of West Hartlepool, at some point before 1895. Other than that I know nothing, except everything about her power plant.  

thanks,

Douglas

image.jpg

image.jpgEdit: there are more drawings if anybody wants to see them, but that’s the only one of the boilers I think.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Hi all,

Bit of plea for identification here. I’ve got this wonderful old book by Daniel Kinnear Clarke from 1893, and it has the some excellent illustrations of the engines and boilers of the S.S. Coot.  Unfortunately the internet seems to be devoid of any such ship, so I am asking if anybody on here might be able to find it. She was constructed by the Central Marine Engineering Company  of West Hartlepool, at some point before 1895. Other than that I know nothing, except everything about her power plant.  

thanks,

Douglas

Edit: there are more drawings if anybody wants to see them, but that’s the only one of the boilers I think

A snippet of information here:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/SS_Coot

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A snippet of information here:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/SS_Coot

I just found her dimensions in the book. 
L: 270 ft

W: 37 ft

draught: 18 1/2 ft

carrying 2650 tons

Edit: This is the S.S. Rissa, of the Cork Steamship Company, she might have been similar.

image.jpeg.0acf3d468a675b124161968ca799cdc9.jpeg

• Like 2

Another strange ship from the north east.

Turbinia was the first steam turbine-powered steamship. Built as an experimental vessel in 1894, and easily the fastest ship in the world at that time, Turbinia was demonstrated dramatically at the Spithead Navy Review in 1897 and set the standard for the next generation of steamships, the majority of which would be turbine powered.

I just love the way they got the attention of the Admiralty.

Parsons' ship turned up unannounced at the Navy Review for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria at Spithead, on 26 June 1897, in front of the Prince of Wales, foreign dignitaries and Lords of the Admiralty. As an audacious publicity stunt, Turbinia, which was much faster than any ship at the time, raced between the two lines of navy ships and steamed up and down in front of the crowd and princes, while easily evading a navy picket boat that tried to pursue her, almost swamping it with her wake.

Gate-crashing the party and avoiding the bouncers.

More in an excellent Lindybeige video.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

There is a basic ref in Graces guide that the owner was the Cork Steamship Company.  The Coot was built c1885 The only other ref that I could find was a wreck off the Florida coast dated 17 December 1942  of a 154 GRT freighter with the name of 'Coot'.  (www.wrecksite.eu). No further details of the ship though, could well be a different one of course.

From Graces there is a link which I have not checked but it references the vessel on page 93 of 'The Engineer' magazine for Jan 29th 1886, p93.  See here for details https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1886/01/29

Ref to the Coot is halfway down the page.

also here https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1886/04/16  which apparently contains significant details of the machinery on the vessel.

Two prev replies came in while I was typing this one, sorry if it's a repeat.

Happy hunting

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

You could try on "more than just a crew list"  at https://www.mun.ca/mha/mlc/toolkit/idsv/ 

They have (Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland) the majority of the surviving records of the red duster fleet.  No, I don't quite understand why MI got them, but they have them...

(I will note, my diploma is from MI...)

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Turbinia was essential viewing for us young engineers in Tyneside - I presume she is still in the museum.

And judging by the video above has at last received the extensive overhaul and far better explanatory condition than was the case when we saw her a few years ago although at that time there was part of a turbine  on separate 'sort of' display - i.e it was there to be seen but you'd only know what it was if you already knew what to expect

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2020 at 12:13, MarkC said:

Today (25th June) is, of course, the international "Day of the Seafarer".

Mark

I expect that this year 'Crew Rotation/Relief Day'  will be far more important to many seafarers than any sort of international or otherwise 'Day of the Seafarer' - best of luck to all who await that day.

• Agree 4

If anyone needs an Edwardian one piece propeller, then there are plenty for the taking down on South Georgia Island. There is also a pair of whale chasers, and the Trawler Viola, which I'm sure most of you have heard of. As well as the maybe-not-really salvageable wreck of the SV Brutus.

image.png.64d1c312751d154c7aeb5cb7baf376d0.png

• Like 3

Well, some of us - only the Western Europeans - are escaping tomorrow (28th). However, for our Russian and Indonesian shipmates, the wait (disgracefully) continues. Mind you, if the USA decides to shut its borders in the next 22 hours as I write, then we'll be going nowhere.

We didn't want to let anyone know the good news was confirmed until our reliefs were safely in their hotel - we berth at 0830, taxi to airport is booked for 1130.

25 weeks on board for 3 of us. The other 3 who are leaving joined a few weeks later.

One Apprentice was supposed to depart too - but as he hasn't got a US Visa he was going via Canada. His permission to do so hasn't been received, so he's not going anywhere either :(

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Well, some of us - only the Western Europeans - are escaping tomorrow (28th). However, for our Russian and Indonesian shipmates, the wait (disgracefully) continues. Mind you, if the USA decides to shut its borders in the next 22 hours as I write, then we'll be going nowhere.

We didn't want to let anyone know the good news was confirmed until our reliefs were safely in their hotel - we berth at 0830, taxi to airport is booked for 1130.

25 weeks on board for 3 of us. The other 3 who are leaving joined a few weeks later.

One Apprentice was supposed to depart too - but as he hasn't got a US Visa he was going via Canada. His permission to do so hasn't been received, so he's not going anywhere either :(

Mark

I thought that the captain was traditionally the last to leave?

...which reminds me of the airline captain briefing a new First Officer on the emergency procedures:

"In the event of an emergency, the Captain is the last to leave the aircraft. If I pass you on the way out, you will assume the role of Captain".

• Funny 5

7 hours ago, MarkC said:

Mark

Hurrah! Wouldn't the apprentice have a college course to attend next?

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

If anyone needs an Edwardian one piece propeller, then there are plenty for the taking down on South Georgia Island. There is also a pair of whale chasers, and the Trawler Viola, which I'm sure most of you have heard of. As well as the maybe-not-really salvageable wreck of the SV Brutus.

The wreck of any ship is sad, even more so a sailing ship.

However, I saw a television documentary a few years ago. On South Georgia there are so many bones of Great Whales that the programme really made me cry.

Who do we humans think we are?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, MarkC said:

Mark

Best of luck. Then you can come and enjoy a County Durham summer with us all.

(Well, perhaps not yesterday or today, but last week and the week after next!)

• RMweb Premium

There are a few posts on the Forum Jokes thread that referred to Star Drek shirt colors and it reminded me of this and I thought that I would share it here also:

Did the shirt colors have anything to do with their work? When I was on the Kitty Hawk (CVA-63) attached to RVAH-6, I noticed that different flight deck specialties had different color shirts. Mine was brown for squadron level plane handling, green was squadron level aviation maintenance, purple was ship-level fuel handling, red was all ordinance, yellow was ship-level plane handling, white was safety. There may be (probably were) a few others but they escape me now. I know that there were designated medical personal for the flight deck but have no idea what they wore, but  probably something with a red cross on it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some from Dad's archives, sorry details are a bit thin.

Empress of Scotland

empress-of-scotland-1a.jpg.4d4412e1ab7a57192fd6d938e6b4ed2e.jpg

empress-of-scotland-2a.jpg.c9f79aa6b94df4860e78f08b7cda0ddd.jpg

Thames at Greenwich

greenwich-2a.jpg.2f305bb53c17d4d441aaceb4c3020c17.jpg

Javenese Prince

javanese-2a.jpg.5e2ff749effe9be008b600653e8bf0a8.jpg

Stronghold

stronghold-2a.jpg.3ea6d73e872f3e64e809c9a00dc8e98f.jpg

Manchester Port

manchester-port-1a.jpg.104f3f9730fe3b96d503031d8b087519.jpg

Adrian