Old GE Cattle Wagons

In An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons by Bixley et. al., Volume 2, page 85 is a drawing (and a photo) of an ex-GER cattle wagon which ended up on the Isle of Wight. To my mind a very pretty little vehicle. (There's a drawing of an equally nice ex-GER van on the same page).

The cattle wagon does not show up in Tatlow, so I presume all had gone by 1923, indeed the Wight example is said to have been bought between 1904 and 1909. Does anyone happen to know when the breed became extinct on the GER itself?

Reason for asking is I quite fancy a model of one of these but it would have to be GE in the absence of a Solent bridge. Interestingly, the photo shows a handbrake on only one side, and yet the wagon also has Westinghouse brakes. Though the arrangement of brakes in the photo looks much simpler than that in the drawing.

• Like 1

Without a diagram number and/or a build year, it might be difficult to identify the specific wagon mentioned. Cattle traffic declined in GER times, but new wagons continued to be built until 1916. All appeared to have gone by nationalisation, but there would be plenty passing into LNER ownership in 1923.

As with all similar matters, the Great Eastern Railway Society should have plenty of information.

I am having real difficulty in making sense of the photo. But there does seem to be a Westinghouse operating cylinder in place. 

I thought that one of the reasons the acquisition was attractive to the Isle of Wight was that these were Westinghouse fitted.

I would have thought so. However, the actual arrangement of brake blocks on the wagon in the photo baffles me somewhat. It is certainly simplified and less logical than the arrangement shown on the drawing. Of course, we do not have the context for the photo. It *might* have been in the works, awaiting repair/modification or even scrap.

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly that seems to be another design again. The one in the Southern book has diagonal crossed external framework (as in a saltire each side of the door) , different buffers, and a different end. 

There are a few more designs in the GER section. I like the look of a few of the other drawings.

Marc

There are a few more designs in the GER section. I like the look of a few of the other drawings.

Marc

• Like 1