Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

Thanks CME.  Heres a few more recently cropped cheapo camera instamatic pics from 'The Branch' about '77-'78. Bad pics' but good memories. :rolleyes: I'll leave you with these as i'm off and away for several days....and just like the '70's i don't use or have a phone or tablet of any kind :bye:

1-3-2018_00540.jpg

1-2-2018_002sp.jpg

1-3-2018_01240.jpg

• Like 6

You are not alone CME. I too wish I had taken more photos in bygone years. Worse than that - I chucked away a lot of the photos I did take! :(
I think I was fearful of those "other beings" (as Bob called them) discovering said photos. Same with my old Locoshed books! What was I thinking? :o :( 

When we're younger, I think we all suppose that the things around us are going to be there forever. I never thought we'd see the day when a 37 was a rarity in South Wales - that sounded an impossibility, even a dream. Of course, now I know it is reality, or perhaps a nightmare? So we can all understand how & why you didn't take more photos. It's only those who understood back then, that nothing is really permanent - who thankfully recorded what they saw every day for future generations to enjoy.....

Bob, you describe these photos as "Bad pics, but good memories" - and that made me smile (which isn't an easy task of late)
And that's a great description, but actually, I don't think they are "Bad" as such - they used the technology that was available at the time, and are therefore limited by the constraints of that technology / equipment. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they capture the essence of the age, and help to evoke memories of the era. I can still recall eagerly waiting in the queue at Boots (or Davies Colour of Cardiff) to see if all my photos had turned out as I wanted, thinking in the back of my mind - "should I have used a faster 400 ASA film, as it was a bit dark that day?

If these photos were "perfect" high resolution, sharp images - we'd probably all suppose they were taken yesterday, on a digital camera, at a preserved railway, or perhaps they'd been faked in Photoshop.... ;)
Keep 'em coming mate :)  Moreover, enjoy your mini break.... and please come back envigorated and energised into doing more on this fab layout of yours
See it at a show? I want to bunk that shed as soon as the foreman's not looking ;)

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, marc smith said:

You are not alone CME. I too wish I had taken more photos in bygone years. Worse than that - I chucked away a lot of the photos I did take! :(
I think I was fearful of those "other beings" (as Bob called them) discovering said photos. Same with my old Locoshed books! What was I thinking? :o :( 

Me too, I gave away loads of photo's and railway stuff when I moved out of my parents house all those years ago, one of the worst things I ever done, I'd love o be able to look through them now. :(

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I still have a few now tatty shed books left but no note books at all, and at least half my 35mm negs have gone missing, yet i'm still left with the bad 110 & 120 negs' which i still have to scan, so i've plenty of stuff to look forward to seeing again. I never did go all 'Nerdy rivet counter' in any hobby i have had an interest in, i just enjoy it for its face value and don't dig too deep into things, i'm a simple lad :crazy::sarcastichand: The only way i could tell a 40 from a 37 in the early days of spotting was that the 37 had a Yellow valance around its buffers...so i got really confused when i saw any 37 at a distance once they started to cut them off!:D

Got the nerve up to take a scalpel to my new 40, i first trial fitted some split head-code boxes with Blue tack that i made from plastic card to get an idea of size and looks, after removing various sticky out bits i then flatted off both front ends after first filling all the not needed holes up. 

2019-04-03_09_57_49.jpg

2019-04-10_16_33_51.jpg

2019-04-10_18_55_36.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

alastairq!.....its already done at both ends:crazy: Brave or just stupid Marc & Ian! Too late to stop me now :pardon::D The 4 blocks are stuck on and filling around them has just started. I should be filing and wet & drying them down this evening. Lighting holes are drilled cross eyed fashion. Watch tomorrow for the next installment.:bye:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

135 Bob or 129?

Not 126 :no2:

Ian

129 Ian....and deffo' not 126, so glad they scrapped that one despite efforts by some idiots to save it. I have pics of 40 126 as it was always sat around the branch. I had a big argument with some on a landy forum about the old landies that still survive from that robbery....enough said!  :mad:

• Agree 1

Basic bits are stuck back on, there's more minor filling and some fine tuning left to do later today and then hopefully it'll be ready for some filler primer, and final painting over the weekend. 

2019-04-12_07_36_11.jpg

2019-04-12_07_36_37.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Yellow ends now added, i'll spend this week weathering the whole loco' up and adding its 40 129 identity with Railtec Models transfers. Found some more class 40 pics' showing the split head code boxes, the marker light White dots differing positions, and other detail differences. 

Pics' of 40 128 at SP.  40139 stabled in the snow at Manchester Victoria station. Scrapped 40 134 at SP. 40 140 at Reddish.

2019-04-14_09_50_57.jpg

2019-04-13 08.27.29128.jpg

2019-04-13 08.27.0840140.jpg

2019-04-13 08.28.08134.jpg

2019-04-13 08.29.02140.jpg

• Like 4

Transfers are now added and the weathering did'nt really take as long as i thought it first would, but i've still some minor tweaks to do, and of course the chassis and bogies are next for a makeover. I'm very happy with it...it's as good a standard i can possibly manage....so phew! thankfully it all worked out ok in the end, well both ends!:mocking_mini: 

2019-04-15_13_35_38.jpg

2019-04-15_13_36_15.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 84B Oxley said:

Only just come to this thread, I wish I had the courage to convert my 40 into a split box....

You want 40s at Springs Branch?

Regards

Jeff

40033.25235-20.11.83.jpg

40172_21-9-80.jpg

40196.25235.40195.40033.08423-20.11.83.jpg

MMP do some super detailing parts in their mainline diesel detailing sets.

On 14/04/2019 at 11:09, Owd Bob said:

Yellow ends now added, i'll spend this week weathering the whole loco' up and adding its 40 129 identity with Railtec Models transfers. Found some more class 40 pics' showing the split head code boxes, the marker light White dots differing positions, and other detail differences. 

Pics' of 40 128 at SP.  40139 stabled in the snow at Manchester Victoria station. Scrapped 40 134 at SP. 40 140 at Reddish.

2019-04-14_09_50_57.jpg

2019-04-13 08.27.29128.jpg

2019-04-13 08.27.0840140.jpg

2019-04-13 08.28.08134.jpg

2019-04-13 08.29.02140.jpg

Who's yellow did you use OB?

Lovely work BTW.

3 hours ago, 84B Oxley said:

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Great pics Jeff' it was always too dark for my cheapo camera to take decent pics' in that shed, could be a good bet that i was skulking around somewhere in those pics' :rolleyes: CME  i used Humbrol Yellow spray the exact shade i know not! I'd used it before on my garden loco's so i knew it was just about right for the ends, to be honest i know nowt about any 7mm detailing parts availability or their makers, i did do a search and found nothing for split head code boxes in 7mm, but never mind cos' as usual if i can't buy it i'll try and make it myself anyway, but knowing there may be an easier way CME is most welcome. Thanks.

The first posed pics' on shed!

2019-04-16_08_32_59.jpg

2019-04-16_08_33_35.jpg

2019-04-16_08_36_20.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
bad spelling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Great pics Jeff' it was always too dark for my cheapo camera to take decent pics' in that shed, could be a good bet that i was skulking around somewhere in those pics' :rolleyes: CME  i used Humbrol Yellow spray the exact shade i know not! I'd used it before on my garden loco's so i knew it was just about right for the ends, to be honest i know nowt about any 7mm detailing parts availability or their makers, i did do a search and found nothing for split head code boxes in 7mm, but never mind cos' as usual if i can't buy it i'll try and make it myself anyway, but knowing there may be an easier way CME is most welcome. Thanks.

The first posed pics' on shed!

2019-04-16_08_32_59.jpg

2019-04-16_08_33_35.jpg

2019-04-16_08_36_20.jpg

Thanks OB, I may have some of that here?? I need to match in details on my HJ 37. Do Humbrol put code numbers on their rattle tins??

typo

Maybe the colour code was once on the lid CME but that from memory just had a bar-code on it, and it got chucked away years ago, there are batch numbers underneath but nothing else on the can at all. I'll see if they have another new can in the local shop and see what code number & or colour it's called. 

• Thanks 1

Looking really good Bob, and really enjoying all the prototype pics that are being posted.

The yellow looks "right" to me. Of course, it's all a bit subjective anyway, as paint fades - yellow generally more so than blue due to their wavelengths (Yellow absorbs more of the shorter wavelengths than blue). Plus, paints in days gone by had less UV protecting components.... so they were prone to fade anyway, especially as locos were out in all weathers, and given some of the places they had to go and materials they were in close proximity to. Also, I've used "correct" colours in the past, that have ended up looking not quite right. (IMHO, of course).

A long deceased relative of some pals of mine used to tell a nice tale about railways and correct colours. As a young lad many years ago, he used to hang around Ely station in Cardiff (long gone).
He spent a lot of his holiday time there, and knew the staff really well - they even got him changing signals and doing odd jobs for a few pennies. It was in GWR colours at the time, and he'd been asked by the station master to do some fence painting. Members of staff were set about painting the valencing, in contrasting light & dark stone....

"There's not enough Light stone" came the cry from one of the staff. "Well, mix some of that white in with the dark stone then!" was the station master's reply.....Precision colours, eh? ;)
Really enjoying this whole thread Bob, and other contributors :) 

Edited by marc smith
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Maybe the colour code was once on the lid CME but that from memory just had a bar-code on it, and it got chucked away years ago, there are batch numbers underneath but nothing else on the can at all. I'll see if they have another new can in the local shop and see what code number & or colour it's called. 

Thanks, OB, yellow pigment/paint is my nemesis Im always looking for better, simpler, quicker ways of doing things......

2 hours ago, marc smith said:

Looking really good Bob, and really enjoying all the prototype pics that are being posted.

The yellow looks "right" to me. Of course, it's all a bit subjective anyway, as paint fades - yellow generally more so than blue due to their wavelengths (Yellow absorbs more of the shorter wavelengths than blue). Plus, paints in days gone by had less UV protecting components.... so they were prone to fade anyway, especially as locos were out in all weathers, and given some of the places they had to go and materials they were in close proximity to. Also, I've used "correct" colours in the past, that have ended up looking not quite right. (IMHO, of course).

A long deceased relative of some pals of mine used to tell a nice tale about railways and correct colours. As a young lad many years ago, he used to hang around Ely station in Cardiff (long gone).
He spent a lot of his holiday time there, and knew the staff really well - they even got him changing signals and doing odd jobs for a few pennies. It was in GWR colours at the time, and he'd been asked by the station master to do some fence painting. Members of staff were set about painting the valencing, in contrasting light & dark stone....

"There's not enough Light stone" came the cry from one of the staff. "Well, mix some of that white in with the dark stone then!" was the station master's reply.....Precision colours, eh? ;)
Really enjoying this whole thread Bob, and other contributors :) 

Agreed Marc. That story or similar was duplicated 'inside' at the works many, many times over. LOL! I try to paint what I see. I only use tin reference numbers when someone like OB has hit the spot easily and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Yellow is an awkward pigment at times.

Atvb

CME

• Like 2