Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

A box of the sea foam stuff arrived on Saturday so i picked out the largest clumps to try and make some self seeded Silver Birch look-a-likes to go in front of the long wall and partially cover the factory buildings. First i sprayed them with satin varnish, then i painted the trunks/stems with off White test pot emulsion. When the White emulsion was dry i sprayed them again with the varnish and sprinkled on some Woodland scenics fine dark Green turf(weeds) followed when dry over the top with another spray of varnish and a lighter Green covering of Scale Scenics scatter. 

The new class 37/4 arrived this lunch time, and that has cheered me up no end and got me right back in the modeling mood again, it should keep me interested and busy every evening this week.:D

2019-06-21 19.11.38trees.jpg

2019-06-24_09_42.484trees.jpg

2019-06-24 09.43.12tree.jpg

2019-06-24 13.05.34tree.jpg

2019-06-24 11.05.0937.jpg

• Like 14

Nice Helly 37 there Bob.

Could you please measure for me the total height of the 37 sat on Rails from a baseboard to roof?

I'm considering a foray to the darkside at the end of the year :crazy:   

Need an accurate measurement to see how a TMD structure I have started looks before financing Traction.

Cheers

Ian

No prob' its coming in at 10.5cm. or 105mm. Ian. ;) As someone who came down a scale from garden railways and skipped 'OO' and 'N'....i'm not sure its the 'Dark side' it's more like the 'Dear but warmer and drier side' :lol: 

• Funny 2

A few evenings work on 37 427 and i've got the 'Bont Y Bermo' name plates put on and the buffs painted up in Red, some diluted matt Black was painted into all the grilles. Had to mask it off last night for adding the missing Orange lines.

Ten working lamps arrived for the depot & yard on Monday bought off e-bay, so i've glued three at a time back to back and slid the shafts and wiring through the plastic tubes......another ten still needed! ;) 

DSC0801237.jpg

DSC08011427.jpg37.jpg

DSC08003lamp.jpg

DSC08007lamps.jpglight.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Only just caught up with this thread Bob - your artistry and skill have transferred really well into the indoors. Brilliant, atmospheric layout, so realistic in so many ways.

It must be good not to have to make everything waterproof, vermin proof, wind proof etc etc etc!!

• Thanks 1

Just finished the tree's as i had run out of lacquer to stick the scatter on them....i will plant them all later this aft'  Cheers Mike, only thing i battle with now is dust and cobwebs :D Just like to say the new Heljan 37 did'nt come with its supposed enclosed lamp brackets so i made my own from plasticard.:rolleyes:

2019-06-26_10_42_57.jpg

2019-06-26_10_43_03.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Fabulous finish to the 37 Bob. Where do you get your DullCote from? I have had trouble sourcing it - there was a change of formula a few years ago - is this a supply you have had for few years or some new "blue label" stock?

46 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Fabulous finish to the 37 Bob. Where do you get your DullCote from? I have had trouble sourcing it - there was a change of formula a few years ago - is this a supply you have had for few years or some new "blue label" stock?

I got some from Hobby Holidays at a show a few weeks ago, I think they've got a website.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

It was the last dregs of a Blue can i bought off the web about 12 months ago believe it or not it came from France!:D Cheers Steve good info' for another supplier as i'll need more soon.;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Owd Bob said:

It was the last dregs of a Blue can i bought off the web about 12 months ago believe it or not it came from France!:D Cheers Steve good info' for another supplier as i'll need more soon.;)

France??!!  I shall have to look harder! Thanks Bob

13 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

France??!!  I shall have to look harder! Thanks Bob

It's worked really well on all my stuff but it did cost me more in postage than the full can itself did.....might be cheaper in petrol money and ferry fees to go over myself next time.:lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Cheers for the links Barnaby, now at least those are a lot closer & cheaper to order from. For the small amount you get though it seems to be worth more than flippin' Gold :D

bcn pete, and the rest of you nice folks many thanks, finished it off last night by adding the very fiddly pipework to the buffer ends, it really means a lot when i get good & nice feedback, it spurs me on to the next daft project, i'm saving up now for a new Heljan 47, but by going off recent releases i should have enough to buy two by the time it supposedly comes out:rolleyes::D 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Thanks from me also - I see 1001Maquettes now have it in stock. I have used them several times for other things, but never saw the Dullcote before!

Finally planted the trees last night. I've got this blurry old instamatic pic' of some DMU'S re-fueling at Wigan S.P. taken in about 1979-80, it's not something i saw a lot of back then. I really do fancy making a kit of any DMU from this era (if i can find one) and of a class that ran in this area of the North West but i have'nt a clue on what class they are at all! DMU's were not a thing i took much notice or pics' of back then:D Any help on the DMU class in this pic' or any info' on any kits that may be available would be greatly received. Thanks!

2019-07-04_09_47_05.jpg

2019-07-04_09_51_13.jpg

2019-07-04_09_38_50mh.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Bob, I have to say, this layout is looking better & better all the time.
The trees & greenery look superb, and have added colour and texture, and it's all looking so "natural"

The 37 is nice & grimy too - just how I remember them :)
Top work good sir :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, the link is superb, i shall enquire about those kits, always nice to find new sites and new models/classes i never saw or knew about before. Cheers Marc, the trees do look a bit regimental all in a row but thats how they are on the real thing and in an old pic' Thankfully i've not many more Green bits left to add, maybe a couple of big trees, one at each end/corner to hide the angle.  I seem to have caught up with a lot of stuff over the last few weeks so its all going to go quiet around here for a while again until i restock with some more bits and bobs to mess about with. ;)  

• Like 1

On 27/06/2019 at 10:33, Owd Bob said:

Using the warm weather and the early morning light i got the new 37/4 airbrushed and Dullcoted this morning, this loco' brings my depot layout right up to my time frames limits that it is set in......lets say it's the 9th Aug' 1986. :rolleyes: 

2019-06-27_09_02_28.jpg

2019-06-27_09_02_41.jpg

2019-06-27 09.21.0137427.jpg

2019-06-27 09.20.13427.jpg

Superb Bob, glad to see you getting into airbrushing.

On 27/06/2019 at 20:27, Mike Storey said:

EDM models or Hobby Holidays. I've found it consistent in use over the years, but tbf most of mine is black label. Army Painter version is quite good too.

• Informative/Useful 1