Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

Got out and visited a steam rally in Cheshire at the weekend and found just the model on the autojumble stalls that i've been looking for, and it's one to park up at 'Springsbury depot' It is a Dinky Ford D cab model, my Dad drove one for Lancs' County Council back in the 1960's early '70's, so as a kid i had this very model which was from memory one that came as a kit to put together yourself.  This was a good surviving example with all its tyres and its jewelled headlamps still in place, no dents or broken windscreen either so i paid £15. which i think is a fair price for a good example. I paint stripped it down on Sat' eve' then cleaned some molding lines and flash up with needle files and rubbed it all down with 2000 grade wet & dry paper on Sun' morn' and then White primed it all up in the afternoon. This morning i satin Black spray canned the chassis and cab seats up. Hopefully tomorrow i can give its final coat of Halfords Vauxhall Mustard Yellow.  

2019-07-13_16_24_29.jpg

2019-07-13_16_25_02.jpg

2019-07-14_14_49_21.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Got out and visited a steam rally in Cheshire at the weekend and found just the model on the autojumble stalls that i've been looking for, and it's one to park up at 'Springsbury depot' It is a Dinky Ford D cab model, my Dad drove one for Lancs' County Council back in the 1960's early '70's, so as a kid i had this very model which was from memory one that came as a kit to put together yourself.  This was a good surviving example with all its tyres and its jewelled headlamps still in place, no dents or broken windscreen either so i paid £15. which i think is a fair price for a good example. I paint stripped it down on Sat' eve' then cleaned some molding lines and flash up with needle files and rubbed it all down with 2000 grade wet & dry paper on Sun' morn' and then White primed it all up in the afternoon. This morning i satin Black spray canned the chassis and cab seats up. Hopefully tomorrow i can give its final coat of Halfords Vauxhall Mustard Yellow.  

I love seeing these old models being refurbished! Looking for suitable vehicles for some of my current projects has tempted me into buying a few old Matchbox and Dinky Toys models. Some I’ll leave as they are, others I am going to strip and repaint in liveries more connected to my Highland or Scottish themes! Hope you’ll post more photos?

Marlyn

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree! what price can you put on memories. Funny how the wagon my Dad drove for Lancs' C.C. was also Yellow, and so was the next D' series he drove for a local builders merchant, both i believe were ex' MOD. the LCC one being a six legger. He also drove quite a few Bedford TK's over the years so maybe a model of that type will be the next to find and spray up. ;)  The primer dried quicker than expected in the warm Sun on top of the wheelie bin yesterday, so i got the Yellow paint out, the mud guards were picked out in gloss Black by brush and a few B.R. stickers were added, another few evenings should see it looking a lot better than here and also well weathered and parked up on shed. Its nice to do something different, although it is still model railway related.:D

2019-07-15_09_43_34.jpg

2019-07-16_06_34_01.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 15/07/2019 at 12:48, Owd Bob said:

2019-07-13_16_24_29.jpg

2019-07-13_16_25_02.jpg

2019-07-14_14_49_21.jpg

My dad drove a few D Series Fords, the turbo versions leaked oil like a seive!

I'm doing a similar job on a cheap wrecked MF tractor with a bucket - coal yard loader.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Sounds great CME , i hope you post pics' of the tractor when its finished:) After a bit of hand touching up i posed the wagon on shed, it still needs a few bits like a load, decent wipers and wing mirrors adding, hopefully i can pick a few more bits up at the the next steam rally or autojumble i visit.

2019-07-19_09_03_05.jpg

2019-07-19_09_04_04.jpg

2019-07-19_09_04_34.jpg

• Like 11

I was looking through my old pics' the other day and found a few B.R. vehicles in the background, i've had to zoom right in so pardon the blurry copies. Hope they are of use to anyone.;) 

I now have a pic of a 'D' cab Ford but with a White painted front grille, so i've repainted my model accordingly. This one was parked at Springs Branch in about 1983.

The Bedford TK was at Reddish depot in 1981, i have just bought a Corgi made model which is yet to arrive that'll try and replicate into a BR version.

The LWB version Mk1. Ford Tranny van was parked at Springs Branch in the early '80's, it says re-railing equipment on its sides. I think Dinky did a Mk1 Tranny AA LWB version in the late '60's early '70's....i must go and find one now!  :lol:

1-3-2018_125tk.jpg

1-3-2018_08308trannymk1.jpg

1-5-2018_054139Dcab Ford.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
spelling
  • Like 5

The old Dinky (and not Corgi as i said and thought it was) Bedford TK coal wagon arrived this morn' apart from a bad repaint its all there with especially good windscreen glass and tyres. The single rivet holding the cab to the chassis was drilled out with a 4mm diam drill bit, the axles had plenty of spare length to them so i snipped the smallest end off each of them, i will file and round the sharp ends up later and i'll just glue them back in place on the chassis when its painted. Hopefully it'll all be paint stripped, sanded, filed and etch primed up by the end of today. 

2019-07-29 11.15.28tk.jpg

2019-07-29 12.25.04tk.jpg

2019-07-29 12.27.40tk.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Look forward to seeing how this Dinky lorry turns out in its BR livery, Bob! I’ve also succumbed to buying a few old Matchbox vehicles from the 1950s, hoping to customise them for dioramas or one of my layouts. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Folks.... its not all about the loco's is it? This hobby has so many other aspects to it and always lots of new skills to learn. To be honest me being a skin flint and a right tight wad the truth is i'm just ticking along at the mo' ...well until i've got enough saved up for another loco':mocking_mini: So until then its all about trying to get the small stuff finished off and the scene setting done.

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Agree 3

Just got the Yellow paint on before the rains came this morn' having masked off the flat bed part i sprayed the chassis in satin Black last eve'  I had to file down the headlamps they stuck out far too much and were originally like the pointed end of an Egg. It's surprising just how really good the castings are on these old models, 'cos when the thick original paint is removed all the little details are much crisper and are a lot better to see under the new but thinner layers of spray can paints.  :)

2019-07-30 11.21.34tk.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Plenty of weathering & detailing on both wagons still yet to do, e.g. wing mirrors, mudflaps, spare tyres etc. but i'm happy with the way they both came out for now and save the further enhancement jobs for the  long dark Winter nights. I'll keep looking around at the steam rallies and shows for a few more vehicles to paint up and some i can strip down just for bits. 

tk.jpg

2019-07-31_10_02_31.jpg

2019-07-31 10.22.50trucks.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Thanks Ian, it will be nice to pose and move them around or remove them completely at times, i think more than two vehicles posed at once may be a bit much on this small depot, i agree with what spotlc said on this very topic on on his brill' layout thread the other day. The bigger scale for me anyway makes it easier for me to repaint them, i don't think i could mess about with the 1/76ths '00' stuff. Who knows i might end up with a small fleet of  model BR vehicles one day soon, it looks like i'll need another can of Yellow paint at this rate! 

I liked the Mk2 Astra vans, there seemed plenty of BR ones around in the mid '80's.....and i drove a few myself in my job at the time, it makes me wonder where they all went, i can't say i've seen a single real one or a model version yet at any classic car shows yet....surely there must be some saved.:dontknow: Someone like Oxford Diecast could make them.;)...and maybe a Marina van/ Ital van...etc. etc. :lol: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Thanks Ian, it will be nice to pose and move them around or remove them completely at times, i think more than two vehicles posed at once may be a bit much on this small depot, i agree with what spotlc said on this very topic on on his brill' layout thread the other day. 

Bob, firstly, many thanks for your kind words! .  For me road vehicles are just as important as the railway, but too many of either can spoil things, and ringing the changes can be fun in itself. I like the TK, - brought back a few memories from my murky past!!

Best,  Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well i just could'nt help myself and bought a Dinky Mk1 Transit van last week, it's all stripped and primed, so today i'm hoping to get the Yellow paint on it. The side and rear doors were badly fitting so i've filed and sanded down a lot of flash on them and the van body and i've stuck them back on and set them shut with car chemical metal filler. Just to say that all the BR vehicle transfers i've used and will be using on this van are from Railtec. Treated myself for my Birthday last week to a new Dapol A-M Tank. I'll spray it matt Black and i'll paint wasp stripes on its ends and use it as a waste oil tank on the depot, similar but not the same type as an old tank that was always sat around Springs Branch depot in the '70's & '80's.

2019-08-10 13.59.05mh.jpg

2019-08-10_13_59_17.jpg

2019-08-10 14.06.26mh.jpg

2019-08-10 15.41.22mh.jpg

2019-08-09 13.00.37mh.jpg

1-5-2018_04440oiltanksp.jpg

• Like 11

Still a lot to do but i've broke the back of the Tranny van, i had to send for a replacement windscreen glass as the original was so brittle that it shattered in a dozen bits when i removed it. i'll base this van on the one pic' i have as seen above and will borrow some headlamps off a Lotus 7 car model i have to replicate the two spot lights the original van has.The Dapol AM tank was sprayed in matt Black and i started weathering the underframe, i started on the wasp stripes and only got one end done up to now,  i've started to rub the stripes down a bit with 1200 grade wet & dry paper to replicate some ware and fading. My health has'nt been up to much these last few months and the youngest Daughter is now recovering at home after a major op' last week, so i'm just about ticking over with these 'tea tray' modeling jobs and keeping my modeling hand in the best i can at the mo';)

DSC08222mh.jpg

DSC08223mh.jpg

DSC08224mh.jpg

DSC08220mh.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Still a lot to do but i've broke the back of the Tranny van, i had to send for a replacement windscreen glass as the original was so brittle that it shattered in a dozen bits when i removed it. i'll base this van on the one pic' i have as seen above and will borrow some headlamps off a Lotus 7 car model i have to replicate the two spot lights the original van has.The Dapol AM tank was sprayed in matt Black and i started weathering the underframe, i started on the wasp stripes and only got one end done up to now,  i've started to rub the stripes down a bit with 1200 grade wet & dry paper to replicate some ware and fading. My health has'nt been up to much these last few months and the youngest Daughter is now recovering at home after a major op' last week, so i'm just about ticking over with these 'tea tray' modeling jobs and keeping my modeling hand in the best i can at the mo';)

DSC08222mh.jpg

DSC08223mh.jpg

DSC08224mh.jpg

DSC08220mh.jpg

Hi Bob,

Superb modelling throughout as always.

Can I ask, did you strip the tank wagon's paint prior to the matt black application?

In reality I've seen BR and private owners just over paint and years later the old transfers, emblems and liveries start to show through.

Many thanks,

Atvb,

CME

• Like 1