Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

On 12/08/2019 at 12:07, Owd Bob said:

Still a lot to do but i've broke the back of the Tranny van, i had to send for a replacement windscreen glass as the original was so brittle that it shattered in a dozen bits when i removed it. i'll base this van on the one pic' i have as seen above and will borrow some headlamps off a Lotus 7 car model i have to replicate the two spot lights the original van has.The Dapol AM tank was sprayed in matt Black and i started weathering the underframe, i started on the wasp stripes and only got one end done up to now,  i've started to rub the stripes down a bit with 1200 grade wet & dry paper to replicate some ware and fading. My health has'nt been up to much these last few months and the youngest Daughter is now recovering at home after a major op' last week, so i'm just about ticking over with these 'tea tray' modeling jobs and keeping my modeling hand in the best i can at the mo';)

DSC08222mh.jpg

DSC08223mh.jpg

DSC08224mh.jpg

DSC08220mh.jpg

I have one of these old Dinky Transits in my to do box but without a windscreen, can you tell me where you got your replacement from?

Thanks, Pete. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, toplink@()1989))(( said:

I have one of these old Dinky Transits in my to do box but without a windscreen, can you tell me where you got your replacement from?

Thanks, Pete. 

A guy on e-bay sells the replacement parts he's called 'Acme 3000 model restorations' Had a look for you but i can't see any listed for sale at the mo' best to get in touch with him in case he makes them to order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

A guy on e-bay sells the replacement parts he's called 'Acme 3000 model restorations' Had a look for you but i can't see any listed for sale at the mo' best to get in touch with him in case he makes them to order.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinky-407-Ford-Transit-MK1-Van-Reproduction-Repro-Clear-Plastic-Window-Unit/254197619847?hash=item3b2f5bdc87:g:pnIAAOSwv0tVZusF

Is this it?

• Thanks 1

Had a good day out on Saturday at the modern image show at Rawtenstall, and got myself a few supplies in which should last a few weeks. I needed some more pallets and oil drums but the main thing i wanted was some corrugated sheet to finish off my half covered cardboard made garage/Wesleys shed. Finally bought my first couple of white metal figures to mess about with, a pair of loco' jacks and an inspection platform for the shed interior detail. I had to get a couple of bags of grass scatter stuff as mine has already faded in the Sun. I must put a lid over the layout or chuck a blanket over it all.:rolleyes:

2019-11-03_11_24_32.jpg

2019-11-03_11_27_35.jpg

2019-11-03_11_27_42.jpg

• Like 9

Cheers OOman! It's always better to have something to look forward to doing and not sitting around festering for too long.:lol: The garage has just had its last roof panels put on and primed up, not much bothered about the inside being seen as it's going to be put up on the dark corner above the tunnel. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I could say its about time we had a few shows up here but what with the Leigh show in April we are now getting spoilt rotten.:D It was a great show and the MIOG Group should be congratulated on getting the main dealers and manufacturers up here to the show. The group looked to have come a very long way from the small tables they were crammed around at Leigh back in April.:o

I got the basic shell of the garage painted up last eve' I had a small length of guttering left over from another building and the door framework was made up from matchsticks, i will finish and weather it up tonight, that's if a trip to the Dentist gos ok in an hour! :O

2019-11-05_09_10_38.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Yes. It was a very good exhibition with some interesting exhibits. I like the BR tickets given out on entry. Rooms a bit confusing exhibitors have to go somewhere but that’s schools for you. Could’ve spent well into 4 figures but my lad has an advisory sensible side to him. Those Tower Jock 37’s were very tempting. 

Ian 

• Agree 1

I liked the ticket as well Ian:) I steered well clear of owt i could'nt afford and the new centre headcode box class 40 has got me wondering who and where do i next rob the cash from for one of those. :crazy_mini: It's a trip out that sure has made my small wants list get a bit longer and shoved the 47 and 56 to the bottom.

The garage is nearly finished and has been trial fitted up above the tunnel, i had to make a new length of stone wall up from plastic sheet off cuts to try to hide the layouts ply end some way or another, it's held in place with bluetak until i think up owt else to add to it. Must thank Rob for the number plates he made up for me, all are now fitted to the fleet:drinks: Going to have to go out and buy some more paint and supplies this aft' to finish/weather these recent doings off better.

2019-11-07 09.27.01wall.jpg

2019-11-08 09.10.07wall.jpg

2019-11-08 09.09.30shed1.jpg

2019-11-08 09.09.56garage.jpg

2019-11-08 09.11.13wags.jpg

2019-11-08 09.56.09tik.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Long while since i posted owt different on here so i'm pleased to say and show you that another loco' has at last been ticked off my short wanted list this week with the purchase of the later version of the Dapol 08. After making a few minor changes to the un-numbered Inverness version by painting the buffer beams yellow, followed by stripping off a few bits and adding a few extra handrails, i've also started on the weathering. Up to now i've given it a dirty brown coating in all the cracks, crevices and on top of all boxes and running boards by brush, then a thin matt black coating was added using the air-brush. Just another couple of evenings work in toning some bits down and adding a bit more detail in places. It's a good start so far, and leaves me just eleven weeks, three days and four hours of isolation time to fill. :D

2020-03-22 11.30.07.jpg

2020-03-22 11.30.13.jpg

2020-03-22 11.29.46.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

A bit of each M, it's my own dirty black/brown paint mix went on first with the brush then it had an all over waft with matt black, i've done a bit more to it over the last few evenings and it's as good as finished. I've given this one a more black finish as i'm modelling it on the one in these pics' when it was stabled and used at Bickershaw Colliery for a month or so back in the early 1980's, there was'nt a lot of paint fade on it to be honest, or i just could'nt see it for the black muck on it. :lol: How's your 08 coming along CME? Any more progress or additions to it?

Here is 08 925 with No;7 saddle tank behind shunting at the exchange sidings at Bolton House Rd. Jan' 1983. I believe it was given a white roof and red buffer beams later on, but it must have been done after my Springs branch spotting days had finished due to my new found interest in Beer and sex and chips and gravy.:D

1-3-2018_072_(2).JPG

1-3-2018_06708925bickershaw.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pasting tables! Why did I never think of that? Ye gads! We have one for ...ummm... pasting, but it has started to sag in the middle. Perhaps use a couple of bolts to give it a bit of a prop up and prevent the sagging?

Coming late to this series my thoughts are:

Add and extra set of legs to one side of the joint.

Bodging together with nuts bolts and penny washers to try and stop the sagging board just postpones the inevitable of reinforcement of the basic structure, by adding legs,  battens or side rails.

The fact the table may be sagging tells you that as a basis for a model railway that you may work on for 15-20 years, a little more expenditure is definitely required.

A good CADCAM baseboard will last for years and made from modern materials with be dimensionally stable in most conditions. Build it from recycled plastic and it will also be rot/worm and bomb proof as well as lightweight and resistant to most environmental influences.

Remember at sometime you will lean on your baseboard and put a considerable point load onto it, will you proposed choice of base survive that kind of test?

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...