Seaton Junction Station Buildings

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Thought as much. I'm going to have to Join I suppose (tight wad that I be).

Philth

I also ought to be a member, but essaying their website some years ago I was somewhat dismayed about a distinctly minatory warning about who was and wasn't welcome there. So unlike SEmG, where welcome and free info abounds.

I also ought to be a member, but essaying their website some years ago I was somewhat dismayed about a distinctly minatory warning about who was and wasn't welcome there. So unlike SEmG, where welcome and free info abounds.

Their turn of phrase even today (I have just looked) is, shall we say, a little 'direct'.

Edited to add… (the point of Mallard's question) … the question has prompted me to leaf quickly through my books: I hadn't realised that, for all the dozens of photos of SJ that have been published, nowhere is there a drawing of the building. Hmm… perhaps, despite the comment above, the SW Circle might be the only remaining source.

Edited by olivegreen

• RMweb Premium

Their turn of phrase even today (I have just looked) is, shall we say, a little 'direct'.

Edited to add… (the point of Mallard's question) … the question has prompted me to leaf quickly through my books: I hadn't realised that, for all the dozens of photos of SJ that have been published, nowhere is there a drawing of the building. Hmm… perhaps, despite the comment above, the SW Circle might be the only remaining source.

Many thanks 'Olive'. I also have various good photo's of the Up Building(s) and one of the Branch side of the Down Building. However, no drawings means guesstimates etc and if I'm getting the Buildings sorted then the builder should have drawings as well as proto photo's so they can get the things as close to the actual things as possible.

I'll maybe do some more digging, however in the past, both Peco (they had built an N gauge layout...no longer at Peco) and the Sheffield Club that had this layout a few years back, have never followed up on offers to help with drawings and that is disappointing

I'm not totally rivet counting about this but I'd like to get this bit of the layout really 'right'.

Phil 

Try this.

Go to the EDDC planning portal (their terminology, not mine!) at:

https://planning.eastdevon.gov.uk/online-applications/

In the "keyword etc." search box put Seaton Junction.

That will bring up lots of planning applications - look for the ones referencing "Station House" or "Station Building".

Specifically, there's one from 2014 & another - the original application that was allowed to lapse - from 2010, I think.

In the "documents" section of those applications you'll find, amongst other things, plans, elevation drawings etc.

Buried in there somewhere is at least one drawing of the main station building as it is currently.  Can't remember whether or not it has dimensions.

Sorry I can't be more precise but just haven't got time at the moment to dig through everything  -  got my hands full with Mrs DS who's recently been thrown out of hospital with her new bionic hip & needs watching as she tries to hop around the house  .  .  .  .

Good luck duck!

• RMweb Premium

I actually did that when you mentioned it before Graham, however there is a new application from June 2017 and the plans are there in all their glory. Have you seen the new ones? As Stu says, absolutely superb indeed. Must be some sort of 'sign' from Geoff, looking down and thinking he's had enough grief with his wires this afternoon and he provides this!

Thanks Graham. 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

The patient's been strapped in to bed & gagged so she can't cause a problem for a while (only joking, honest!) & I've been taking intravenous Speckled Hen & Smoky Black Grouse for the last couple of hours, so everything's peace & love down here in not-so-sunny East Devon.  Jack Ratt would have been appropriate but not the weather for it I'm afraid.  At least it's given me time for a bit of a furtle around the EDDC planning stuff.

The June 2017 application is just for a variance of conditions from the 2014 planning permission.

Basically the applicant has made - let's be kind to him & say "very little" - progress with the work & is clearly getting worried that the permission will lapse again, like the previous application in 2010.  If he lets it lapse for a second time I doubt that a third application would be successful.

If you follow the "related cases" link from the June 2017 variance application you'll go via the 2014 "conversion" application & will eventually get to:

http://tinyurl.com/yap2skvb

where you'll find lots of documents.  Hopefully this is where you've ended up and, equally hopefully, you've spotted that there are 3 pages of documents & plans.  With a bit of luck it's these that are getting you & Stubby so excited.

Now, just for information & to bring everyone up to date .  .  .  .

you will no doubt remember that someone from Colyton had been "given permission by the site owner" (hmmmm  -  I've got my own views on that!  ** see below) to spruce the site up a bit as it was becoming a real eyesore.  Well, there's quite a lot been done one way & another since then.  Most noticeable is that much of the jungle in the north-east corner of the site - between the station building & the Colyton road bridge - has been cleared.  In fact, the ground was dug out & a septic tank was installed in that area maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago.  I haven't had the chance to have a proper nose around, but I believe there's been quite a bit of clearing up of rubbish on the platform side as well.  Was speaking a fortnight ago to someone I know who had been shown round inside the station building the previous week & said it's in a terrible state.  That's not a surprise.  It possibly mirrors the eastern-most bay of the dairy/egg-packing complex which Stu & I waded through when he was down here last year.

** without wishing to appear rude, bigoted or anything else, it has to be said that the Colyton guy doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer & I fear that he (and his 73 year old mother who has helped him clean the place up) has been far too trusting & naive and has been royally shafted by the site owner who has used him as cheap - well, free! - labour to do the initial donkey work.  I may have misinterpreted the situation, I may have it completely wrong, but the nagging feeling won't go away.  Still, if he's enjoyed doing it, who am I to comment?

• RMweb Premium

Yo G. Stu was really hoping to find full details of the Toilet areas as he is fascinated by such things. I was just over the moonbeam about the Rail facing Elevation and the ground plan (for dimensions).

Thanks for the heads up as usual and I do hope the Patient stays calm.

All the best from cloudy Notts.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Yo G. Stu was really hoping to find full details of the Toilet areas as he is fascinated by such things. I was just over the moonbeam about the Rail facing Elevation and the ground plan (for dimensions).

Thanks for the heads up as usual and I do hope the Patient stays calm.

All the best from cloudy Notts.

Philth

Oi !!

I resemble that remark !

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't think there has been any changes to the size of the phone boxes for a long time.

Agreed, hence the suitability of images. There is an old phone box used as a free book exchange store, just outside the village. A quick trip with a tape measure should provide enough dimensions, although these could probably be found online as well.

• Like 1

I have a scale drawing somewhere of a type 6 box that I drew up over 50 years ago. There were in fact a number of minor variations, and several different casters of the basic metal structure, but the overall size was always the same. I will look it out for you, and post a copy, if that will help.

• RMweb Gold

Initial assessment of the main roadside portal.

This photo was taken in a torrential downpour, so is a little blurred.  Click for bigger image.

post-7025-0-67973200-1532860641_thumb.png

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

Flaming Ada Phil, - aren't you happy with one thread for us all to watch and keep track of? I struggle to keep track of my own and SOSJ, now there's a SOSJ sub variant as well!

However, rant over,  as this obviously merits its own sub theme, here's my two pence worth ( See I told you I was educated!)

These were taken as we passed by the Hallowed Ground a month back and I never got round to posting them on the 'other' thread..

post-10395-0-98574100-1532956352_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-41041400-1532956367_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-67784600-1532956396_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-41991500-1532956416_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-00094300-1532956429_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-15735500-1532956444_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-51592600-1532956458_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-26870000-1532956478_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-09988200-1532956511_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-03326800-1532956496_thumb.jpg

When I apologised to SWMBO for making a small diversion to visit the holy place and explained the purpose, she was very supportive - even made me get out of the car to do the job properly!

Pleasantly surprised to see that much of the old dairy is still standing and has not even changed all that much (although the shed that housed the filling equipment seems to have been knocked down in 1978).