Seaton Junction Station Buildings

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Using a prototypical 4 rows of bricks for each quoin, I need to check the overall height of the windows & doors is proportionally correct. I'm not too concerned with the brick length dimensions, as I have a fixed width to the façade to measure and replicate. 

Thanks to Smithy ( & Mrs Smithy) for the photos - all are welcome !!

• RMweb Premium

Try contacting Peco - they had an N Gauge model of Seaton Junction at Pecorama for some years.

Much appreciated. Been there and done that several times and sadly with no result. Even spoke to two Peco Reps a couple of years back at the Derby Show still with no follow up response. We have also tried the Sheffield Club that had an OO layout of this, built in 1996 and even featured in RM. Several time got as far as the Secretary but again zero follow up despite very polite request reminders. 

Given up now and fortunately there is a 'friend' almost on site that has done a lot of work for us, Stu has been there in a Monsoon, I went there three years ago  and there is some info online. 

Everything will be excellent, now I just have to ensure the trains run.........

P

• RMweb Premium

Ayup, Phil and Stu, just found this thread from the parent thread.

post-26540-0-94192800-1532968498_thumb.jpeg

This book ere says Sir William Tite was the archytect for the Yeovil Exeter Line, plus the branch, and gives a few photos of SJ, but also drawings for Topsham, which was very similar. If you match that lot up, you should get on a bit further.

post-26540-0-79872000-1532968721_thumb.jpeg

post-26540-0-75743100-1532968753_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Dear A Friend,

Could you measure the chimneys for me? :)

No, all good thanks so far, apart from one question about the left-hand side store.

Did it always have a garage-type door, or was it re-built at sometime? The small window is out of style with the rest and the brickwork changes as well. Does anyone know when ( or if) this happened?

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, not happy.

post-7025-0-59626300-1533021587_thumb.jpg

I think I need to choose Plan B. Draw up the windows and use the cutter, then attach to a plain wall, spray paint with undercoat and then cut the white bits out of the wall.

post-7025-0-59626300-1533021587_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

They need a little cleaning up, but are much better.

Next I might try 5thou sheet, which I can also grade the size of the window aperture to help with the chamfered sides.

post-7025-0-66743400-1533071068_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 03/08/2017 at 07:14, Oldddudders said:
On 02/08/2017 at 22:50, Mallard60022 said:

Thought as much. I'm going to have to Join I suppose (tight wad that I be).

Philth

I also ought to be a member, but essaying their website some years ago I was somewhat dismayed about a distinctly minatory warning about who was and wasn't welcome there. So unlike SEmG, where welcome and free info abounds.

Their website doesn't seem to encourage visitors either?

Next meeting of The South Western Circle

Thu 01st Jan 1970

• Funny 1

• 1 year later...
On 21/05/2020 at 11:45, Stubby47 said:

Plastic has been delivered.

@Stubby47 - I’ve been looking into giving this a go myself but in N gauge. Obviously we’ve lost a lot of photos in various threads though.

Would you be able to repost a couple of the more recent ones for me please? 
I’m intrigued as to how you’ve gone about it.

Nick

Edited by Cowley 47521

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Currently drawing up the station building in Coreldraw, so I can cut the carcass from 4mm mdf.

Just the 16 different sized/shaped walls to join together, that's before I consider the doors, windows, roofs & chimneys.

image.png.65bb8f63665686de8148161364e3c65b.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

One of the latest Pics I have that is quite good for colour and clarity of at least the eastern end.

Late 59 so just right really.

423305994_SeatonforPhil.jpg.ba1827850a537cd7eccb2e44883cd1bc.jpg.5e9e99d76c24db7b4adc5375d03c0c80.jpg

Mr Duck,

Have you built the tall thin thing with waggly bits, for the train set, or are you modelling the station after a winter storm blew it down?

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2023 at 02:20, Siberian Snooper said:

Mr Duck,

Have you built the tall thin thing with waggly bits, for the train set, or are you modelling the station after a winter storm blew it down?

A really helpful chap that runs Grantham the Streamliner Years and Hills of the North, has built me that as a gift! Vert kind but we have horse traded quite a lot. He also did most of my sweeping Curve Geometry years ago as well using some Maths that I didn't understand and that's when I still had a functioning Brain Cell.

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2023 at 10:22, 60526 said:

I don't know if it is of any use but Southampton MRS are making a model of Seaton Junction in OO.

southamptonmrs@gmail.com

Ian Corps the secretary should respond, he is part of the layout team.

Thank you for that. I've contacted them on their FB site.

P

Edited by Mallard60022