A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bleat Wharf. Breakfasts and Backwaters. The continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart.

• RMweb Gold

Still doing the cobbles and it really is quite relaxing.

I am pleased with how this is starting to look now.

A photo of tonights progress.

Rob.

post-14122-0-46523100-1537393412_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-02320900-1537393474_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I can just imagine the scene:

Late at night, every night, by the light of a sole, flickering candle, Rob Scratchitt sits hunched over his work, endlessly, endlessly repeating the same few movements, over and over again...

In the quietness of the night, above the scrape, scrape, scrape of the solitary needle, can be heard the faint sobbing of his daughter, having lost the only toy she ever had, a small, wooden rolling pin.

Mrs Scratchitt lies in bed, awake, unable to sleep, every scratch feeling like it's inside her skull, like some demented chinese water torture. The slow, black, crow black waters of the Taff are looking more and more inviting - but how to get the the shelf there ?

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Late at night, every night, by the light of a sole, flickering candle, Rob Scratchitt sits hunched over his work, endlessly, endlessly repeating the same few movements, over and over again...

In the quietness of the night, above the scrape, scrape, scrape of the solitary needle, can be heard the faint sobbing of his daughter, having lost the only toy she ever had, a small, wooden rolling pin.

Mrs Scratchitt lies in bed, awake, unable to sleep, every scratch feeling like it's inside her skull, like some demented chinese water torture. The slow, black, crow black waters of the Taff are looking more and more inviting - but how to get the the shelf there ?

Starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent...

Yes, I see where you're coming from.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent...

Yes, I see where you're coming from.

And that, Ladies, is why I do this in the garage......

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It takes a Welshman to know how a Welsh family might live.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But what if you're not a Lady?

And what if you don't have a garage?

And what if you're not a Lady and don't have a garage?

Can you have a bit of fruit cake instead?

I'm not a lady, don't have a garage, and don't like fruit cake.

I have, however, enjoyed a couple of delicious cupcakes this week.

The concrete looks spot on Rob, what did you do around the points? It looks like you covered all of the parts except the tie bar, that's something I'm struggling with, at the moment I've just left the moving bits open.

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have not touched Bleat for a month now. Any available modelling time has been spent on Mutton in readiness for its appearance at the Cardiff Show, last month.

I hope to start work again this weekend and will post progress accordingly.

Bleats first appearance in public will be here.....

The Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2019

Saturday 26th. January, 2019 10:00am – 4:30pm

Scout Association Headquarters, Fields Park Road,

Pontcanna, Cardiff   CF11 9HX

With a trade presence by Lord & Butler, Cardiff Model Rail Centre, Penarth Road, Cardiff.

Admission £4:00p adults.      Under 14s Free

Refreshments   -   Ample free parking

( At the time of writing, the adjacent car park is 'pay and display' on Monday to Friday, and free on weekends )

Public Transport – several Cardiff Bus services stop outside ‘The Halfway’ public house, Cathedral Road

which is less than five minutes walk to the venue.

A number of local modellers have agreed to exhibit their layouts whilst others will demonstrate a variety of modelling disciplines;

all, in a one day show.

Rob.

• Like 3

Hi Rob

I've been watching the progress of the cobbles with interest, for future . Will there're be cobbles on the infill between the rails? How did you lay the rail inside the running rail which forms the edge of the running area?

Looks like a visit to the Cardiff show may be in order....

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex.

I'm not sure yet regarding between the rails. Some will be cobbled but I'm thinking not all of it. The check rails were simply glued direct to the sleepers against the inner edge of the chairs before being infilled with DAS. It means the infilled area is slightly lower but not so as to notice.

Hope this helps?

Regarding the Cardiff show, whilst it would be lovely to see you there, I am hoping to have Bleat at Taunton in April.......mind you, I've got to get it finished for Cardiff.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I will definitely be at Taunton in April. Might Bleat be open to a visiting tram? (If the tram gets time off:) )

Of course it would, Alex. A J70 tottering about the place would be very nice indeed.

Rob.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

No updates for quite a while but Bleat in its original form is no more. 

A failure of one of the inlaid points meant it needed to be fully excavated. By the time this had been done, Bleat looked as if it had been visited by Hermann Goering's finest circa 1941 and that was the end of that. 

I simply didn't feel able to make good and I lost enthusiasm for the layout. 

However, Bleat may re appear at a later date but in a slightly different format. 

Perhaps a bit more rustic.....

We shall see............

Rob. 

20180613_190500.jpg

20180623_125505.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17