A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bleat Wharf. Breakfasts and Backwaters. The continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart.

• RMweb Gold

Typically flamboyant American..........note the far more restrained British combover. Far more manly.

Rob.

post-14122-0-22286100-1525530035_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-35773400-1525530052.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos from t'other night. Again, my apologies, they're not the best but I hope they give an idea.

I think this will work out okay you know.

There will be a fair amount of green dotted in between the buildings and I am hoping this will give a nice open 'coastal' feel to proceedings.

Rob.

post-14122-0-33585200-1525716518_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-46155700-1525716666_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-26786600-1525716698_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-58901700-1525716727_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Will there be seagulls?

No. May well have a Dodo though.

R

• RMweb Gold

You did well to catch and hit that. They are normally quite quick on their hooves, especially up North.

Hats off to the driver Spams old chap.

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

My family camped by Lake Bala in 1966. It rained most of the few days we were there. Including the day all five of us sat in the car with my small transistor radio pressed against the side window to get the best signal, as we listened to the World Cup Final. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My family camped by Lake Bala in 1966. It rained most of the few days we were there. Including the day all five of us sat in the car with my small transistor radio pressed against the side window to get the best signal, as we listened to the World Cup Final.

It's still raining there now and you have to do the same with a mobile phone.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Baa laa?

Yes, on the way back. The A5 was closed yesterday afternoon so we had to make quite a big diversion across country to Shrewsbury.

Did you go through Knockin? And is the village shop still open (that is called, obviously, the Knockin Shop....)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. No reports to make at present. However, I did antucipate a second Peckett coming my way soon but I see Hornby have put back the two I was looking at until Aug and Feb19 respectivly.

So, with the B4 likely to arrive in the next eight weeks, I think the focus will be that of Somerset and some plucky Midland types.

In terms of run arounds, these will allow for a 3F tender loco ( maybe a 2P...)

When I start/finish the Pug this will form a stategic reserve but will see occasional service.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

This BH weekend we was mostly in Welsh Wales. 

We were in Shropshire from Monday to Thursday and were passing close to Llangollen on Tuesday, but the nature of the trip meant that it wasn't possible to go away from our route.

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear that Welsh Wales is most agreeable to you types.

In a fair swap type of way, this Welsh type finds certain railways of the West Country most agreeable.

And scones.........pasties.....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These have been posted on the main thread but I pop them here for continuity.

The photos are of the latest mock up of Bleat Wharf and probably not too far away from how it will look.

Rob.

post-14122-0-77691400-1527410704_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-25811200-1527410725_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have revised the back story to Bleat Wharf. As follows;

Bleat Wharf

{ Ex-S&DJR Goods only branch }

British Railways 1955- 1962

Bleat Wharf is a small inland quay 'somewhere in Somerset' and is at the end of a spur off the Highbridge branch of the S&DJR, set in the 1950s.

Goods only, the area is run down and approaching closure. Traffic is mostly vans or covered carriage trucks serving the few remaining quayside businesses. Services run as required and haulage is provided by wheezy ex-Midland 3F tender locos with the occasional 4F or 1P 0.4.4T.

The origins of the name' Bleat Wharf' are not what you might expect. The name evolved from the original name for the area, 'Scheepswerf' which is Dutch for 'Ship yard or boatyard'.

In the early years of the 19th Century, Jan Van Der Plank, a Dutch shipwright set up a small boatyard in the area. The boatyard closed when Van der Plank returned to Holland following his retirement in 1840 but the name for the area was adopted by the locals.

With the arrival of the railways to the area in 1850, a short branch from Highbridge Whard was created to what later became known as Bleat Wharf, named after Ebenezer Bleat, a local business man and importer of manufactured goods. Other cargoes handled early on were minerals and agricultural items, including livestock.

Both world wars saw extensive use made of the wharf and few original buildings remain with successive alterations being made over the years. During the Second World War, a number of tin buildings were erected by the Royal Air Force who operated a couple of Air Sea Rescue launches from there to patrol the Bristol Channel.

Moving along to the period modelled, the main industry is ' C K Maddocks ', a small precision engineering firm who took over the buildings previously occupied by the RAF in 1944/45. The original buildings of Maddocks were bombed in January 1941 by a lone Junkers 88, later brought down over the Bristol channel by Pilot Officer Stein of 263 Squadron flying a Westland Whirlwind out of Exeter.

After the war, things settled down and a general air of peaceful neglect descended on the wharf.

Maddocks continued to be a well respected producer of quality engineering but freight traffic was light, running as required by the time of the period modelled.

Overall size of the layout is now confirmed and will be 7ft x 2ft.

Baseboards will be my now usual IKEA shelfage.

Track will be PECO Code 75.

Buildings will be a variety of Ready To Plant from Bachmann and Hornby.

Locos will, as mentioned above, be ready to run Midland types from Bachmann. Rolling stock will also be ready to run. All stock buildings etc will be weathered accordingly.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2