Uhlenbrock Decoders - Opinions please

JZ

I'm looking around for a 5/6 function 21 pin MTC decoder and there appears to be a dearth of them available at present. However, I did come across an Uhlenbrock 75330. At around £26, is this a bargain or not? And what are peoples opinion of Uhlenbrock?

FWIW it's to go in a Dapol Class 122.

I have Uhlenbrock decoders and find them good.  Some have been in use for years and I have never had one fail.  Motor control on the latest versions is very satisfactory.  I agree with Dutch Master's assessment.

• RMweb Gold

I know nothing about Uhlenbrock but in the original post a dearth of suitable decoders is mentioned. I have fitted the Lenz Silver 21+ in my Dapol 122. Many of the retailers seem to imply the decoder has 4 functions, it has 5. All of the lighting features work. Only departure from the Dapol leaflet is that the interior lighting is F5 as F3 and F4 are used for other things with the Lenz. Also I paid £25.68 for the Lenz. If you do go for the Uhlenbrock I would be interested to know how well it works in the Dapol.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

I have a Silver 21, was hoping to keep it for my Bulleid diesel. But I have fitted it in the 122. Gosh those lights are bright, can they be turned down with the Lenz?

As for the dearth of 21-pin decoders, tried all the usual suspects, only had Bachmann 557s, not my favourite.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Silver 21, was hoping to keep it for my Bulleid diesel. But I have fitted it in the 122. Gosh those lights are bright, can they be turned down with the Lenz?

As for the dearth of 21-pin decoders, tried all the usual suspects, only had Bachmann 557s, not my favourite.

The Silver 21 + can have the front and back lights dimmed with CV 55 and 56. Full brightness is 255, reduce it for dimmer. I have not done this yet but do intend to! I program mine with JMRI via a Sprog and I think Lenz Lighting is an option on the menu bar.