RAILEX 2018 26 & 27 MAY

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

Very much looking forward to exhibiting at Railex this year with Canute Road Quay (especially as the show venue is a whole 15 minutes up the road from me!) stand 61 for those playing the where on the plan game.

post-243-0-21350100-1523610397_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-78724700-1523610546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 7

number 37...Croft Depot

Looking forward to a weekend in the deep south, we've got our visas sorted so were not expecting any trouble on our way thru Yorkshire. I've bought a brand new analog satnav from the OS...https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/mapsheetfinder.html#mapsheet-viewer...and the trains are being cleaned, polished and then dirtied again...

Hello

As last year we have setup a competition in conjunction with UK Model Shops, for a chance for you to win one of four adult tickets to Railex.

This can be seen on their website below:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/

You will be able to enter the competition from today until Saturday12th of May.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

I attend this show every year, and am sure I will be there again next month as it is without fail a show of the utmost quality with the best selection of trade pretty much anywhere but Warley.

From my perspective just one slight disappointment looking at the attending layouts - lots of 4mil but just one 2mm layout and no N at all?

Roy

I attend this show every year, and am sure I will be there again next month as it is without fail a show of the utmost quality with the best selection of trade pretty much anywhere but Warley.

From my perspective just one slight disappointment looking at the attending layouts - lots of 4mil but just one 2mm layout and no N at all?

Roy

Roy, you've pretty much summed up my feelings too.

Very much looking forward to exhibiting at Railex this year with Canute Road Quay (especially as the show venue is a whole 15 minutes up the road from me!) stand 61 for those playing the where on the plan game.

attachicon.gif170929 Canute Rd Q IMG_2524 WEB.jpg

attachicon.gif170929 Canute Rd Q IMG_2477c WEB.jpg

Hi,

Looking forward to helping Muz out with Canute Road, looking like a good show!

Simon

....From my perspective just one slight disappointment looking at the attending layouts - lots of 4mil but just one 2mm layout and no N at all?

It is supposed to have a finescale bent, so maybe it should have more 2FS rather than N (unless you mean Continental N).

It is supposed to have a finescale bent, so maybe it should have more 2FS rather than N (unless you mean Continental N).

The track gauge in British N gauge is closer to scale than OO. There are some superb N gauge layouts out there. Guess a lot depends on what is available though.

Roy

I try and get a balance although some years it will be 4mm heavy other times it may be 7mm or 2mm. I think the last couple of years we only had one or two 00 layout in a sea of other scales and gauges. When booking layouts it may be 2-3 years in advance so its not till I first start the floor plan 9 months before the show I get an idea on what layouts are attending for that show.

David

• RMweb Gold

Roy

I’d actually say that for me, it’s the best trade including Warley. And given the choice of attending Railex or Warley, Railex would win every time.

And I find that I don’t think of shows in terms of scale representation. For me, the question is whether there is modelling that I will admire, and which will excite and inspire me. And that’s got nothing to do with scale.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Intend to visit this year. I have noted somewhere that buses will be every 30mins on Saturday and every hour on sunday from the station. If there is some kind of bus timetable, it would be helpful in planning what day and what train to get from London Marylebone. Thanks in adavnce

I’d actually say that for me, it’s the best trade including Warley. And given the choice of attending Railex or Warley, Railex would win every time...

As far as trade goes, at this time of year, it's got to be ExpoEM and RailEx.

Having sampled Warley once, I'd never go up there again.

As far as trade goes, at this time of year, it's got to be ExpoEM and RailEx.

Having sampled Warley once, I'd never go up there again.

And S4North for those modellers in northern latitudes. I spoke to quite a few 2mm and 7mm modellers this year, so it doesn't just attact the 4mm brigade.

Gauge/scale isn't the only criterion for finescale. I think RMJ has a bit of a finescale bent too but that's where I found my favourite articles by Frank Dyer and about Bradfield Gloucester Square. 

number 37...Croft Depot

and the trains are being cleaned, polished and then dirtied again...

Doing the same with my budgie smugglers. Do you reckon it's worth packing my pulling pants?

P

What are you hoping to pull? A caravan?

If it is, one thing is for certain. I'd be speedier than the majority of those mobile road blocks that are due to clog up our roads and countryside this coming weekend.

D

Your scale might not be at Railex this year but remember it has the finest layouts in any scale that you will see this year its always been the same since it started many years ago.How about a plaque on the site of the Civic Centre commemorating the start of this great show.

Doing the same with my budgie smugglers. Do you reckon it's worth packing my pulling pants?

P

...best to pack your 90s stylie pulling pants Mr Mane...as Shootpool (Aylesbury's finest music venue) has a Bon Jovi tribute band on on Friday 25th and a Nirvana tribute band on on Saturday 26th.

...also, you could easily pass for Dave Grohl's dad...

...and, I've heard there is a damn fine model show on all weekend, with a vintage bus service from the town, a collection of some of the countries finest model railways and a plethora of people selling everything you will ever need to make trains with.

...and lastly...both bands are free as is the vintage bus service...oh yeah, and Aylesbury has the best taxi's this side of Jupiter (flat rate fairs)...handy for when the power of the pulling pants wears off...

...best to pack your 90s stylie pulling pants Mr Mane...

Found em!

Complete with enhanced 1970's Brentford Nylons static for that additional "get up & go".

post-508-0-42846600-1525465239.jpg

...  and knowing of the practice of certain model railway operators and their ilk to dress smartly for exhibitions (matching shirt & ties, embroidered polo shirts and the like) I found this old print of the Crock Croft Depot operating team (plus one guest) showing off their operating attire. Those desert boots still turn up occasionally!

post-508-0-69441100-1525465313.jpg

Shootpool (Aylesbury's finest music venue) 

Going of the last visit, I thought that was where the local worshipers of Pugilism carried out their venerations.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane