RAILEX 2018 26 & 27 MAY

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Premium

Lovely ride up after escaping London, lovely weather albeit hazy.

I don't really know anyone on the 'scene', but it was nice to see Keith; always such a pleasant, knowledgeable chap.

C&L didn't have John on the stand. I met him at AP, I would have liked to caught up with him. Is he known as Hayfield on this site? Nice bloke, anyroadup.

It was quite easy to move around the venue, but it was thronged at Hornsey Bdwy, but once I caught sight, fully understandable. Pukka. A credit to Mr Hardy (and his team?) Inspired.

I may have another look tomorrow, but this time I shall desist from following signs for London which took me on a quite scenic route.

As a lapsed Fulham FC fan, the irony was not lost on me, of gridlocked traffic from Denham in, surrounded by Aston Villa fans incoming. It made the the journey a bit longer!

Many thanks to a particular visitor when I arrived, I wish him well for his kindness to an unemployed poor boy.

A great show, get there if you can.

Kind regards,

Bernie from Finsburyish

edited to add, the stewards in the car park were fantastic, always a space for a Goldwing, albeit a knackered old one!

Edited by Finsbury

Hello All

A couple taken at lunch time today.

post-7053-0-35637700-1527363811_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-63942000-1527363829_thumb.jpg

If you are going tomorrow please remember to purchase a programme when you arrive, as they will be gone by the time you leave!

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

C&L didn't have John on the stand. I met him at AP, I would have liked to caught up with him. Is he known as Hayfield on this site? Nice bloke, 

Yep, he's the one. I even saw him open his wallet at AP, although somehow I got the blame afterwards. 

• RMweb Gold

Did you buy it Ivan? :blum:

I’m sure a bachelor of Ivan’s standing never needs to pay for beaver.

Only those used to buy beer, the others were either left on the bus or at the show, some others are being scattered around various drinking emporia in London, except the Euston Tap, which wanted a minimum of six quid a pint.

Meanwhile, in Central Aylesbury, Wetherspoons have just sold me a decent pint of Greene Thing IPA for £1.99. We visit Railex in the morning.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

An important question ahead of tomorrow: how muggy is it in the hall? Need to decide whether to where shorts or not!

David

If you don't wear shorts could you at least have trousers on.....even a thong would be better than nothing....

I’m sure a bachelor of Ivan’s standing never needs to pay for beaver. ....

As long as I get a decent ride.....

An important question ahead of tomorrow: how muggy is it in the hall? Need to decide whether to where shorts or not!

It was fairly humid today. Not sure shorts would have provided relief.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornsey Broadway was the highlight for me, even though I'm no fan of 1970s period layouts. The burrowing down and under lines and high-level MPD are so inventive after the usual all-on-the-flat layouts. I went with a friend who was a spotter in the late 70s so far more expert than me on the locos - he demonstrated to my satisfaction that despite the opinion of other viewers, there were two pairs of 15s; though that was only after I'd said neither were a pair of 20s. At least I know those had the cab right at the end - pairs of them were a regular sight on the Sutton Park line on my way to school. He was a bit sniffy about the likelyhood of seeing a Hymek on shed so far east. His conclusion was the same as on Wibdenshaw two or three years ago - not enough 47s. (Hardly surprising since I assume it's mostly the same stock, perhaps augmented by a Deltic or two.) It's the mundane and ordinary that makes for a convincing model railway scene.

Was that the Fell on Kirby Stephen? Appropriate to the terrain, I suppose. The fells on The Summit were more the thing though, if not the trains. Really needs backdating to 1902 with 2632 heading south at the head of a Scotch Express of square-light clerestories, with Charles Rous-Martin in a first-class compartment, stopwatch in hand, ready to record those two miles at 92 mph on the descent from the Ribblehead viaduct...

Burntisland 1883 remains a favourite - it has sprouted a roundhouse since last I saw it. 

My friend commented on the complete lack of overseas layouts this year.

I'd done most of my shopping at ExpoEM...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re; humidity, your friendly shepherd will shear you now. All other fleeces should be deposited in one of the lockers. Have a wash though, ffs.

OT Very pleasant today, and non smelly/back packy, just a bit bargy in front of HB. Great gig.

Bernie back tomorrow.

Dave, I can't give a funny, informative, like, agree, thanks and a friendly click all at once.

B

• Like 1

....Was that the Fell on Kirby Stephen? ...

And there was another one on the Judith Edge stand. Some people are going to be very happy now this is almost ready for sale...

Burntisland 1883 remains a favourite - it has sprouted a roundhouse since last I saw it.

Did you spot anything unusual about the shunting horse at the front of the layout?

• RMweb Premium

And there was another one on the Judith Edge stand. Some people are going to be very happy now this is almost ready for sale...

A BR Black Fell (Mikes first off etch) appears on Chapel -en-le-Frith (and Herculaneum Dock) (built by Mike) a second etched one has now been finished in BR lined Green ( with later coupling rod arrangement and cab roof details by Nicktoix so should be available for the next outing for Chapel-en-le -Frith.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Excellent exhibition.  How could it be improved?  Add in lots of demonstrators such as those found at ExpoEM/S4um, plus the ExpoEM & S4um Bring & Buy Stands.  But then it wouldn't fit in the hall :(

And twice a year please :jester:

Only one layout which for me was a bit "train set" rather than "model railway".  In fairness a very nice train set though, so no great loss

Overall, first class :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Visited the show this morning - could only manage about two hours as had to be back in London but what an excellent show. The standard is always very high but for me I thought this one of the best from my previous 5 visits.

Primarily went to see Hornsey Broadway (superb) but happy to see lots of other quality layouts there too. Good to see some familiar faces too and have a quick catch up ;)

Here’s a few pics of my faves for anyone who couldn’t make it - interesting that exhibitors are happy to be asked when taking photos - as both exhibitor and punter to shows I see that as common courtesy.

Many thanks to the organisers and this is definately in the calendar to attend 2019... :good:

post-3290-0-64652200-1527437304_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-74275900-1527437359_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-97488100-1527437403_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-64472600-1527437454_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-64552700-1527437484_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-39103500-1527437518_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-56873200-1527437555_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-44738600-1527437587_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-50296000-1527437627_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-59412100-1527437669_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-59353600-1527437722_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-73733300-1527437763_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-91418800-1527437799_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-18018600-1527437856_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-26763700-1527437898_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-65612600-1527437950_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-87344400-1527437998_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-49767600-1527438094_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-54165600-1527438140_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Just a last point on parking, it does get busy at the stadium, and the carpark will fill up quickly, when this has you will be directed by our stewards to park in the overflow carpark in the hospital, and not before.   

When you arrive at the overflow carpark you will be given a ticket to display.

We a have limited number of stewards so please be patient with them as they will endeavour to find you a space as quickly as they can.

If unsure please double check where you are parking, as you don't want to end up with a ticket!

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

An FYI on parking... the private parking contractor at the hospital is a company called UKPC. UKPC are currently banned by the DVLA from access to their database, meaning that at the moment UKPC cannot find out to who owns a vehicle and whom they might attempt to hold liable for any tickets that UKPC have issued.

It is not known why UKPC have been banned, but they have been banned before. The last time it was because they had been caught falsifying the time stamps on photos of cars to make it appear as though they had been parked for longer than they actually had in order to issue tickets.

So, if you have received a ticket on your car from UKPC this weekend the advice is to ignore it and make no contact with UKPC whatsoever. They can can only find out who you are if you tell them.

HTH.

• Like 1