RAILEX 2018 26 & 27 MAY

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

And in any case, those who complained about knees, both specific and in general, are only jealous of those of us who brought a pair of shorts - so there!

It was a super show and I had a really good time. An interesting journey up, met loads of chums at the show, got virtually all my shopping done and awarded Top Bloke of the Traders to Tim Horn.

• Like 6

Some cunning plans turn out to be not so cunning.  When I saw the proximity of Hornsey Broadway to the main entrance it seemed obvious to loiter nearby until opening time, stride purposefully to the layout and claim a space.  The flaw was that I had an advance ticket and so was among those corralled next to an entrance at the other end of the hall.  Fortunately I am still capable of short concentrated bursts of energy and reached Hornsey Broadway with space to spare.  Having waited eight years to see it I was not disappointed and it was well deserving of the trophies that it was awarded.

When I read this I first thought, it can't be 8 years you must be confused with Wibdenshaw, surely 8 years have not passed that quickly.

But indeed they have, April 2010 Wibble posted his first entry on this majestic model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There were far too many people there who asked far too many questions and prevented me from watching trains. I think that this exhibition should be on for 3 days, 1 of them reserved for exhibitors, traders and demonstrators to walk around and watch each other do their stuff.

Discuss.

:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

......and I'll only be going if we can be assured that those knees are accurate, superdetailed versions of the real thing :jester:

I'd have thought their authenticity is beyond dispute, so long as they don't turn up attached to someone other than CK. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

There were several pairs of knees out on Saturday. Not a pretty sight though, in the circumstances, most practical.

My own knees (on Sunday) were only just out, as my "shorts" barely qualify as such. :jester:

I was very glad I wore them though; and for having a car with aircon for the trip up and back.

John

• Like 1

There were far too many people there who asked far too many questions and prevented me from watching trains. I think that this exhibition should be on for 3 days, 1 of them reserved for exhibitors, traders and demonstrators to walk around and watch each other do their stuff.

Discuss.

To be fair this only really happened on Saturday morning. After that, it thinned out, and it was actually possible to see the layouts. Except maybe for Hornsey Broadway, which was so attractive I only got a clear view of it from about 3pm onwards.

I thought Burntisland was very good, cellophane water apart. My mistake with it was to notice the two-legged shunting horse, and the shunter figure trying to hold up the front end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Discuss.

Mick thanks for the weathering demo my friend Steve and I (Bob) thought it was most informative.

Btw did the chap come back for his Mogo Van?.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mick thanks for the weathering demo my friend Steve and I (Bob) thought it was most informative.

Btw did the chap come back for his Mogo Van?.

Bob,

Yes, he did come back, and couldn't understand why it was so dirty!  :prankster:

• RMweb Gold

Those blokes that prefer to get their trousers from cheapskate tailors, tend to have bits of knotted string hanging out of the bottom of them.

I wonder what that might be for . .  .   .    .     .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Discuss.

And yet, for me it was still only a 3½ hour exhibition, let alone 3 days. I don't do the social stuff, and with a relatively small number of layouts, it doesn't take long to see them.

• Administrators

And yet, for me it was still only a 3½ hour exhibition, let alone 3 days. I don't do the social stuff, and with a relatively small number of layouts, it doesn't take long to see them.

Each to his or her own, but I feel if you don't ask a few questions then you don't get the full value from a show. Exhibitors are (generally) always happy to chat about their models and answer questions making shows a great source of information to help your modelling. 

I wasn't even exhibiting and people stopped me to ask questions, providing many interesting chats. 

• Like 5

What a bloody brilliant weekend!

A huge thank you to Dave for the invite way back when to have The Mill at RailEx this year. Also, another huge thank you to Dave & his team for putting together & running such a top draw exhibition.

The standard of the layouts was (as always) exceptional & the range of traders in attendance was excellent. London Road Models managed to make the most significant dent in my funds by way of a LNER K2 kit.

Both Friday & Saturday evening saw Jason & myself in the pub enjoying plenty of the available refreshments. It was great to get to meet & chat with many of the other exhibitors & traders over the two evenings & thanks again to Dave for arranging the Saturday evening Social. Very much enjoyed the vintage bus ride to the pub that evening.

post-19016-0-08465200-1527550739_thumb.jpg

A snap of The Mill late on sunday afternoon.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 10

A certain Captain in shorts is, however, not a sight to be relished.

Quit knocking those knees.

I'm old enough to remember when British summers were both long and warm enough to warrant a corner of the hall be set aside for the Patellae Formation Display Team.

This recently discovered 1949 image of the team shows that in those less enlightened times, good old British reserve and modesty meant most team members would endeavour to keep the cap area covered as full frontal displays were much frowned upon, although as can be seen, one member of the team could be guaranteed to be a little more racy.

post-508-0-21210400-1527544699_thumb.jpg

66% of the Croft Depot operating team attempted to recreate those long gone halcyon days of the display team at the weekend but obviously failed to impress those of this more modern generation.

At least our nether regions were appreciative of the extra ventilation. It was enough to make one tremble.

P

P.s. It was a bl**dy good show.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh, please! Really? Who is this person, do tell. I can tell you that my knees, which I was happy to display following receipt of several no requests, are award-winning and had been highly polished prior to the show.

Don't worry, I'll get the knees out at Scaleforum.

Another show off the list.....

That has altered my travel plans also!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Some viewers whom stopped by to view Canute Road Quay apparently took longer to get to the venue than others, I can neither confirm or deny any names...

post-243-0-58667100-1527581263_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some viewers whom stopped by to view Canute Road Quay apparently took longer to get to the venue than others, I can neither confirm or deny any names...

attachicon.gifRailex_1.jpg

Well, I can see Paul Cram, Andy Scales and John Redrup. There is also some other person who looks vaguely familiar, but as he didn't come over over to LRM to say hello, I am not sure if it is who I think it is.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 1