RAILEX 2018 26 & 27 MAY

David Bigcheeseplant

Hello All

As we are now in to March, I have uploaded the Railex 2018 Advance Ticket Form to the Railex website:

www.railex.org.uk

Or download the below

attachicon.gifRailex2018AdvanceTicketForm.pdf 

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Planning to visit this year, so thought I'd investigate the advance ticket price.

Trouble is the saving is less than the cost of two postage stamps, thus it actually costs a single visitor more for an advance ticket :scratchhead:

'we're really pleased with the very positive feedback and the attendance figures were good but we're always looking to do better. We'd be interested to know of your thoughts on any improvements for the future and, in particular, why if you decided not to go if this was to do with the content, location, price or facilities (eg car parking) etc'.

David

As you've asked, please refer back to my earlier post (#20).......

Thanks

Well, having originally made an observation quute early on in this thread, which didn't attract a response, and then 'bumping' it when an open invitation for feedback was placed (all quoted above) which still didn't elicit a response I'm left wondering whether the requested feedback is of concern to anyone at all :(

Common courtesy would be at least an acknowledgement?

Hi Andy

Sorry for the delayed response, in regard to the advance tickets when we started to do this it give a discount on any tickets brought, but as you say for a single ticket and stamps the price does go above the entry price. We are looking into other ways we can do advance tickets but the effort and cost to administer this for what is a small percentage of total sales is something we need to keep in balance or decide is the effort worthwhile.

Next year we have to change the way we sell tickets on the day and this may involve credit card payments.

David

Hi Andy

Sorry for the delayed response, in regard to the advance tickets when we started to do this it give a discount on any tickets brought, but as you say for a single ticket and stamps the price does go above the entry price. We are looking into other ways we can do advance tickets but the effort and cost to administer this for what is a small percentage of total sales is something we need to keep in balance or decide is the effort worthwhile.

Next year we have to change the way we sell tickets on the day and this may involve credit card payments.

David

Thanks David,

For my twopenn'rth, whatever you decide to do, it should be stated clearly e.g. "Discount on advance group bookings"

Rgds

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could advanced tickets, be collected at the door or self printed? these are options I get when I go to rock concerts. The self printed tickets have a bar code which is scanned, to prevent duplicates.

Thoroughly modern idea - I’ve just printed off my car park, entry and members’ grandstand tickets for this weekend’s 24 hr race down the road - but the organising club there expects 250k visitors this weekend every year, and can afford the scanning technology. Not so sure Railex quite hits those heights.

Thoroughly modern idea - I’ve just printed off my car park, entry and members’ grandstand tickets for this weekend’s 24 hr race down the road - but the organising club there expects 250k visitors this weekend every year, and can afford the scanning technology. Not so sure Railex quite hits those heights.

The Shuttleworth Collection do scanning for their advance tickets and their maximum capacity is c7500.

They don’t use bar codes though

• RMweb Gold

Well, having originally made an observation quute early on in this thread, which didn't attract a response, and then 'bumping' it when an open invitation for feedback was placed (all quoted above) which still didn't elicit a response I'm left wondering whether the requested feedback is of concern to anyone at all :(

Common courtesy would be at least an acknowledgement?

Surely the main advantage of getting an advanced ticket is the convenience of not having to queue. If it costs a few pence more for postage, is that really a problem. I suspect the 'Yorkshire expat' in your tag line is superfluous! :-))

Jerry

• Like 1

Interesting comparisons.

An annual multi million Euro event, probably with in excess of 100,000 visitors and a permanent museum open throughout the year with full time staff. I don't know the price of Le Mans tickets (£150 plus?, normal ticket price for the SC is £15, more for events.

Surely it is unrealistic to expect the same level of "service" from a model railway exhibition, even an exceptional one like Railex, which are organised and staffed by volunteers. Or should ticketing be put into the hands of a third party like Ticketmaster, who charge a premium for their service? Given the usual moans about model show entry charges I don't think the latter wold be very popular.

Surely the main advantage of getting an advanced ticket is the convenience of not having to queue. If it costs a few pence more for postage, is that really a problem. I suspect the 'Yorkshire expat' in your tag line is superfluous! :-))

Jerry

Agree entirely, except that some of the advance ticket holders to like to get there early and form a disorderly queue at the door. "You can't please, etc."

• RMweb Premium

When I arrived at Railex on the Sunday morning about an hour and a half after opening there was no queue and it only took a matter of seconds to obtain my ticket. At exhibitions, swap meets and other events I usually turn up about half an hour after opening time and more often than not I don't have to queue. I have at some events pre-booked tickets where experience has taught me that it is advisible such as the spring event at the LTM's Acton Depot where the queue takes more than an hour to clear after opening time.

• RMweb Gold

We ‘advanced purchased’ our Railex tickets from the charming lady on the Routemaster bus to the circuit! There was a queue of less than ten waiting when we arrived, anyway, but it all adds to the fun. And am I permitted to say I don’t mind paying full whack when it is simply going to the organising club? Similarly, if I attend a preserved line, I tend not to seek a concession fare, often available to former BR staff, because the line needs the money. But I also recognise those with young families etc may have a tighter budget! I will not comment on people’s regional origins.

Jol - a general entrance ticket for Le Mans this year is €82, say £70. That gets you into the Test Weekend session a fortnight ago, both quali sessions this week, and of course the race weekend. Obviously it excludes grandstands. As Members, our total cost is only €338, say £300, including two Members’ Grandstand tickets and the Members’ car park. The Members’ Grandstand, opposite the pits, has 24-hr food and drink as well as a lounge, loo and showers. The food is actually cheaper than the same items from concessions round the circuit. Compared to F1, sportscar racing is very affordable, but other formulae are cheaper still, no doubt.

• Like 3

that would be a qr code but requires backroom it infrastructure (servers, scanners using phone would be a bit risky and someone to set it up and maintain it) they are easy to setup to act as a way of linking website or specific pages 

• Like 1

Jerry

I'm not overly concerned either way, I arrived on the Sunday at about 09:25 parked about 20yds from the main entrance, paid mi fee had a full breakfast and was about twentieth in the queue when I ambled along to the exhibition entrance at approx 09:55.

I was simply drawing attention to the fact and then latterly the lack of response to invited feedback (now addressed) :)

Given the above, early entry privilege through advance ticket seems rather moot. :yes:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2