RAILEX 2018 26 & 27 MAY

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

I once saw a bloke wearing shorts in Bath. Nothing too different about that I suppose but he had one natural leg and one artificial!

And he deserves to be added to my list of exceptions. Anyone who is prepared to show off a prosthetic limb like that gets my full admiration.

• RMweb Premium

And he deserves to be added to my list of exceptions. Anyone who is prepared to show off a prosthetic limb like that gets my full admiration.

A local one-legged worthy in our village fancied his chances in the annual football match.

All was well until he unleashed a mighty kick with the artificial leg, which was almost as fast as the ball at crossing the line.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A truly wonderful experience, thank you to David and the team for another absolutely top notch and utterly corking exhibition.

In fact I'd go so far as to say, for one reason and another, that for me that was the most enjoyable model railway exhibition I have ever been at, bar none.

There wasn't anything there that wasn't worthy of inclusion in the UK's premier show, as you can see from the excellent photographs that others have posted.

My photographs are a bit odd (no change there then) and reflect a certain "I 'ate you Butler" aspect of this most fabulousl event.

Before inflicting them on you innocent RMwebbers though,  few general observations, Burntisland, what an impressive piece of work and unlike on a previous outing the amount and high quality of the running was superb, and stock, not much out of a box there. A fascinating historical "document" and commentary from the gentleman in the topper was terrific, informative, interesting and delivered in a beautiful (if I may say so) Scots accent.

Hornsey Broadway, words fail me really, awe inspiring, nostalgia in spades, incredibly well observed and lots of moving trains too, great to see the Wibdenshaw team out together again - Huzzah!

post-19301-0-80143800-1527791269_thumb.jpg

post-19301-0-05485600-1527791297_thumb.jpg

post-19301-0-76396100-1527791319_thumb.jpg

Trains through the trees and a clever and delightful rural staging on Kyle of Sutherland, my favourite Rustons on The Mill, what a brilliant layout that is, and so on, not a duffer in sight across the whole show.

Evening social great, David takes so much care and it really shows, thank you very much.

And then there's the bus....

Room upstairs!

post-19301-0-45455900-1527791168_thumb.jpg

Your hosts Viki and Jac

post-19301-0-21345300-1527791194_thumb.jpg

I got to stand next to Viki

post-19301-0-08441300-1527791216_thumb.jpg

And the showmeister himself and his lady before the evening social

post-19301-0-58010800-1527791243_thumb.jpg

On the Sunday I got to go out on the first run from the show with Viki, Jac, Nigel and the others and did a bit of program and ticket selling, I think I hit my targets(!) I am not however at liberty to disclose any pictures showing me wearing the hat Viki provided, 'cos I look stoopid(er than usual). Move along the bus please.....

How fantastic is this hobby of ours?

Thank you again to all participants and visitors for making it such a special event.

Simon

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

An excellent exhibition and one I will remember.  

Highlighted building for me was the partially demolished one on the excellent Hornsey Broadway layout but Burntisland was my favourite and listening to the commentary was very informative.  The attention to detail and the seamless stone wall on The Mill was a delight to see - a first for me although I had followed the production of it by Chris and Jason on the web.

A comparatively small but superb piece of back scenery was the row of houses on Canute Road Quay and finding out how it was produced.

Lost the name of the 2mm gem, Foxcote New Pit, at the moment but found it rather high ... again senior moment ... for Jerry's wife who had to stand on tiptoe to operate the fiddle yard!

Strangely I was not aware of the humidity until I left ... just shows what a superb show it was - thanks.

Peter

Edit = layout names added

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lost the name of the 2mm gem at the moment but found it rather high ... again senior moment ... for his wife who had to stand on tiptoe to operate the fiddle yard!

A drawback of being attracted to the smaller scale.

'we're really pleased with the very positive feedback and the attendance figures were good but we're always looking to do better. We'd be interested to know of your thoughts on any improvements for the future and, in particular, why if you decided not to go if this was to do with the content, location, price or facilities (eg car parking) etc'.

David

• Like 1

'we're really pleased with the very positive feedback and the attendance figures were good but we're always looking to do better. We'd be interested to know of your thoughts on any improvements for the future and, in particular, why if you decided not to go if this was to do with the content, location, price or facilities (eg car parking) etc'.

David

Aircon

• RMweb Premium

I'm comparing with ExpoEM the previous weekend - a similar-sized show in a similar sports-hall venue, with many of the same traders and even the same exhibitors (though Jerry Clifford was thoughtfully exhibiting different layouts), similar visitor numbers, and on a similarly hot weekend. Both were well-organised and had excellent layouts, so my comments are purely about the merits of the venues and in no way reflect on the organisers!

My impression was that the Bracknell hall is both brighter and airier. I thought the former was due to more natural light but another commenter (Tim V, Clutton) thought it was just a better artificial light level. Neither hall has aircon; at both shows a loading door was open at one side of the hall; this seemed to have more effect at Bracknell. This might just be because the Railex weekend was more humid. I didn't have any real problem parking at either - though access to the Stole Mandeville parking is a bit more tortuous. 

Next year it'll be in the middle of a cold snap and everyone will be complaining the hall lacks heating... Anyway, I hope to be able to repeat my observations by visiting Scaleforum in September!

• Like 1

David

As you've asked, please refer back to my earlier post (#20).......

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

David

Hold it closer to Spain!!!

Mike.

I don't have any complaints, but I think if I didn't have a car I might have some! I think Stoke Manderville is an excellent venue in the wrong place with horrendous public transport. The concept of a vintage bus which doesn't work during a drivers break or a significant football match isn't a good one. That said it doesn't seem to affect this show too much but I bet it's a serious issue with Scaleforum which has a much smaller target audience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have visited this show for a number of years and I have always travelled by train, I stay in or near London and travel up on the Saturday morning, the vintage bus service is invaluable as the local bus service seems to be rubbish. The selling of the tickets on the bus has made a huge difference to getting in to the show as there is no need to join the ticket que. However, this year, I noted that Chiltern have cut back their service to hourly, which may have been inconvenient for some.

For anyone coming from the railway station to Railex if you walk up the bus station there is a bus every fifteen minutes the 300 to Wycombe also every twenty mins the 9 but who would not to travel by Routemaster.Our local buses are not rubbish but offer a very good network and timetables.Railex this year was an extremely pleasant show  to visit the layouts all excellent trade very good and useful how are you going beat it David?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

David

A very good show. As a first time visitor I didn't have many difficulties finding the venue though I thought I'd taken a wrong turning when driving through a housing estate to the venue. On that subject the signs were rather small and difficult to spot but as some local authorities are a bit sniffy about such signs it sounds picky to complain as it might be something forced on the organisers. I'm now looking forward to next years show. 

• RMweb Gold

One thing that did go down well was having plenty of chairs to use for a break scattered around various locations throughout the hall :)

Yes! And the gallery above the hall was a great place for a partner to sit while a modeller was taking it all in.

There were plenty of stewards in evidence at all times.

The bus service was fine, free and ran as advertised as far as we were concerned. Chiltern had reduced its services due to other commitments, but were the remaining trains overloaded? I don’t know. Our service circa 1600 ex Marylebone on the Saturday carried a worthwhile load but no more.

Add in affordable nights at Travelodge and cheap evenings in Wetherspoons and I can find nothing in the whole weekend that needs improving.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes! And the gallery above the hall was a great place for a partner to sit while a modeller was taking it all in.

Mind you, the steps down the gallery (with no handrails) are decidedly scary - I'm amazed a public building gets away with such an installation

I don't have any complaints, but I think if I didn't have a car I might have some! I think Stoke Manderville is an excellent venue in the wrong place with horrendous public transport. The concept of a vintage bus which doesn't work during a drivers break or a significant football match isn't a good one. That said it doesn't seem to affect this show too much but I bet it's a serious issue with Scaleforum which has a much smaller target audience.

We have Railex in Aylesbury as the R & D MRC is local to Aylesbury so we won't be relocating to another part of the country!

We have to have a break for the driver of the vintage bus as it is law, so try to ensure we time the break at a quieter time of the day. There are plenty of service busses that run every 20 minutes on a Saturday if people wish to use these and a taxi will cost £3.50.

There is a lift to the seating gallery if you don't wish to use the stairs.

I normally try to we have narrow gauge, modern or continental layouts and but as I have to book layouts a few years in advance I can't always get a balance or tick each box each year.

Air con would be nice but it is unlikely to happen, cant think of many sports hall venues that have it.

We always try to improve Railex and have some ideas for next year. Due to the management change at the stadium we will have to sell our own tickets next year rather than the front desk do it for us, but we may be able to take credit cards if this is the case, which is what visitors have been asking for.

Like any show we have to balance costs against income.

David 

• Like 8

I couldn't think of much to improve really. In the past I've used the train but this year, due to engineering works I couldn't and I very nearly didn't go. I ended up driving and found the venue very easy to find and got parked fine. It worked out a bit cheaper than the train so I'll do that next year. The hall is fine and the seating gallery is a nice place to go for a break and watch what's going on. The layout's were all stunning.

Looking forward to next year already.

Steve.

• Like 2

'we're really pleased with the very positive feedback and the attendance figures were good but we're always looking to do better. future and, in particular, why if you decided not to go

Speaking as an operator I don't think there's much can be done to Improve things. I particularly like the "scenery" on view out front.

Maybe you could supply earplugs for the Hotel?

P