Hornby Maunsell Coaches - Crimson Cream set 247

nnich

My set of four crimson cream Maunsell coaches making set 247 arrived today.  I was surprised and pleased to see that the corridor first coach (S7212S Catalog R4797 is a model of low window stock (as previously seen in the Somerset and Dorset 3 pack in green).  The rest of the set are the more common high window variants.  I don't think this has been previously mentioned.     I just checked on the well known retailers web sites and the corresponding SR Green set has the high window variant

Norm

Edited by nnich

• RMweb Gold

My set of four crimson cream Maunsell coaches making set 247 arrived today.  I was surprised and pleased to see that the corridor first coach (S7212S Catalog R4797 is a model of low window stock (as previously seen in the Somerset and Dorset 3 pack in green).  The rest of the set are the more common high window variants.  I don't think this has been previously mentioned.     I just checked on the well known retailers web sites and the corresponding SR Green set has the high window variant

Norm

Yes, another complete set is welcome, especially with the mix of types. Less wonderful, however, is the fact that this set only contained S7212S until 1951, by which time it cannot have worn blood and custard livery for very long. The BTKs, 3777 and 3794, were retained in the reduced set 247, with composite 5691 replacing the two intermediate vehicles.

Norm

Maunsell 4-Coach sets 241-247 were formed in 1933, all BTK-TK-FK-BTK.

241-243 were composed entirely of high-window stock, however 244-247 utilised older low-window 1sts in the set. As already stated these sets were all reduced to 3-Sets in 1951, with a composite replacing the FK and TK.

Interestingly Hornby were to have produced the High window stock in lined SR livery back in 2011: Catalogue numbers R4506-11 covering six different types: BTK6, BTK4, TK, FK, CK and BCK.

Thankfully (for us pre-WW2 SR modellers) set 243 has arrived in its lined green finery at last.

Glenn

Maunsell 4-Coach sets 241-247 were formed in 1933, all BTK-TK-FK-BTK.

241-243 were composed entirely of high-window stock, however 244-247 utilised older low-window 1sts in the set. As already stated these sets were all reduced to 3-Sets in 1951, with a composite replacing the FK and TK.

Interestingly Hornby were to have produced the High window stock in lined SR livery back in 2011: Catalogue numbers R4506-11 covering six different types: BTK6, BTK4, TK, FK, CK and BCK.

Thankfully (for us pre-WW2 SR modellers) set 243 has arrived in its lined green finery at last.

Glenn

Strangely the numbers you mentioned R4506-4511 never appeared in any of the catalogues from 2010-2012, the only way i ever know of existence of those numbers, are from the Hattons product database where they are mentioned as announced in 2010.

Never seen these in real , otherwise i would have bought them.

Especcially the BTK4 only 2 of these ever produced in 2009 in Maunsell lined.

These are my most wanted on the moment.

For now i'm happy with the new 243 set , i am going to order.

I have the books of Mike King and David Gould, very helpfull, but even then it is difficult with al the differences between the coaches to find, so many differences.

But with many of you, all the little gaps are closing  :declare:  

There is potential for even more Maunsells from Hornby, in Blood and Custard.

All the low window range ( another S&D set ) and the more recent open third.

And a plea for a Maunsell catering vehicle, original or buffet conversion.

While echoing - yet again - the need for a Maunsell catering vehicle ( or three ) ...... there's also the possiblity of early style red & cream with a red band at the eaves : not many coaches carried that - but it looked good, judging by photos, of course ....... tricky to apply on the corridor side of high window stock - but then that's exactly why B.R. dropped the idea !

Not being an expert on Maunsell stock, I had been wondering why Hornby hadn't gotten round to doing any low window ones in blood & custard, now I know why, not many hung around long enough or were they converted to high windows & then painted blood & custard? Either way I'd better snap up one of R4797

Cheers, Mike C

• 3 years later...

I was thinking of getting Hornby set 247 but found that it was reduced to a 3 car set in 1951, does anyone know how I could find out what happened to the 4th coach S7212S? Also does anyone know where I could find out which 4th coach was added to the set in the mid 50’s when 247 was reformed. Thanks Fred 

• RMweb Gold

For Set 247 CK 5659 replaced 5691 in 1955, according to Gould. As for 7212, by 1951 Maunsell stock - 7212 was now 24 years old - was being bumped from main-line services by the influx of new Bulleids and then Mk 1s. Secondary services and branchlines have scant need of FKs, a CK typically being more than sufficient, so it was loose. Carriage sidings in those days were awash with mature coaches that saw relatively little service. Excursions were more numerous then, and these vehicles tended to be the mainstay. FKs might well have been used in race-day specials and the like. 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Thanks that’s great Ian, do you know by any chance when see 247 got repainted in br Southern Green? Fred

No, sorry. My guess would be not before 1958 or 9, as Maunsells would have been towards the bottom of the priority list by then. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Thanks again for that Ian. Do you think Hornbys r4345a of S5635S will be the same as S5659 and S5691 if I buy that and renumber it. Fred

Nearly. They are all from the same batch, but from 5652 onwards they had two lavatory vents. If that bothers you, then......

• RMweb Gold

Prior to 1951,  Set 247 was a 4-set formed BTK + FK + TK + BTK so the CK replaced the separate First and Third.

Reducing 4-sets to 3-sets seems to have been an on-going process on the Southern Region as many of the BR Mk1 3-sets (BSK + CK + BSK) had previously included a SK.

John