The Great Fusion 360 Thread

Thought it might be nice if we had a thread devoted to various software rather than having bits and pieces dotted about all over the place, and as I've just taken the plunge on Autodesk's finest, what better place to start! 

I've come to F360 from Sketchup - and it's a steep learning curve! I'm just about getting into the basics with much thank to Youtuber Lars Christensen whose excellent videos I've been watching all day.

(

)

So, lets have a roll call, who else is using Fusion 360?

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 3

I haven't been able to get my head around Fusion 360. I've been using AutoCAD for probably 20 years and I found it impossible to change how I think. I tried following some tutorials but got lost pretty quickly.

Yup, been using it for a while. I find it great and the workflow logical. Fantastic support from Autodesk's videos to the Fusion community. Link with CAM really useful, and with sheet metal coming soon it is my favourite 3D software.

Andy

Yup, it is different to AutoCAD which is still really a 2D drafting tool, even though it has 3D capabilities.

As I am very much a command line user Fusion is slower, but once you switch to the logic I find I can nearly be as fast as in ACAD.

Though when it comes to components and assemblies in building a whole model in 3D, with constraints and history, is where it excels.

Never used AutoCad, my pockets aren't deep enough. The last attempt I had at parametric solid modelling was with TurboCAD pro, which was a disaster. F360 is an improvement, although it's still based on the archaic 2D drawing, which is a real struggle when you're used to just being able to draw freely in 3 dimensions. I'm now trying to figure out how to draw a dome flare in F360, arguably the most important thing I'll need to be drawing! Easy in Sketchup, doable in TurboCAD, haven't figured F360 out yet! 

Managed it! Pretty simple once you've figured out where all the relevant commands are hidden. I initially couldn't get it to work with guide rails as I would in SKetchup, then remembered a little trick with lofting in TurboCAD whereby an additional circle is placed between the top of the flange and the base and icnluded in the loft, the diameter of which controls the radius of the flare. More art than science but very rarely are any dimensions for flares provided anyway, so yeh I'm happy! 

Won't be long before all my 3D needs are being served by Fusion. 

post-21854-0-88847600-1502215070_thumb.png

I have been using Fusion for around nine months having used Autodesk Inventor before, it took me a while to figure stuff out and the differences between the two programmes, but now love it and use it for work too as a client asked for a 3D image and found it was quicker to create in 3D then produce 2D drawings than using AutoCAD just as 2D.

I am using parametric modelling more and more as its so easy to change dimensions. 

I like the way the custom appearance can be added to faces such as brickwork etc.

To be fair I think I would use Fusion to create any 3D or 2D drawing, I like the way parts can be assembled to see if they fit.

David

post-186-0-64860600-1502216795_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

As I mentioned in another thread, I have just began using Fusion360, As an architect I am quite familiar with software like Revit, Archicad, VectorWorks and SketchUp. But Fusion is strikingly different from all these programs. So it takes some time to get used to it, especially the concept of parametric modeling. 

Still, after using the software for about 15-20 hrs, I have been able to model a engine driving wheel that is almost complete:

170812_ASEA_lokhjul.jpg

Only a few features of the prototype wheel needs to be incorporated in the design. I will also remove the tyre, as the digital model shall be used as a 3D-printed master for brass castings. A very nice feature of F360 is that export to .stl (the format used by most 3D-printers) is painless. 

I will probably use F360 for making 8-10 casting masters for my current engine project. The wheel centers have by far the most complex geometry, so the rest of the masters will be plain sailing. 

An very interesting feature just added to F360 is Sheet Metal. I think this is a feature that can prove extremely helpful in designing complex etched models. I look forward to hear from anyone that has looked into this feature. 

• Like 1

I'm nowhere near that level of F360 expertise, but I have managed some Kerr Stuart driving wheels in 16mm scale with Romford style square ended 3/16" axles. These are an experiment in CAM and will suit Tattoo and Haig type locos. 

I'm getting the hang of the sofyware, but certain elements of the workflow I still find infuriating, like the complete inability to work with complex mesh files, try anything other than look at it and it throws an 'Invalid input' error. 

post-21854-0-75709600-1502575047_thumb.png

Edited by Quarryscapes

• RMweb Gold

Another one just starting to learn Fusion360, thanks to a mate of mine who is teaching me (I'm supplying him the Whiskey and Nurofen tablets!!!).  Early days, but getting there!  Having done all my laser cutting design as 2D Illustrator drawings to press, visualising in my mind how they all go together, I'm hoping for bigger and better things once I can use F360!

Rich

• Like 1

I'm a bit sceptical about Fusion 360. A few years ago we had 123D from Autodesk. It too was free. I tried to learn it, but by the time I did it was deleted by Autodesk. What assurance do we have that 360 will stay? Also how long will it remain free? How can Autodesk afford to develop it when it's free?

I disagree. They are developing it, and would not say it is half baked. Software development is changing and it isn't the world of annual releases, patches, or service packs any more, it is truly organic development and deployment.

Having been a beta tester of CAD and 3d software for over 20 years I have plenty of stories of what half baked is. Fusion360 is not.

User Centref Design and development is the best way for software to develop and evolve for the markets they have chosen.

At the end of the day it is just a tool, that gets a job done.

Currently, I prefer Fusion360 to a variety of CAD and CAM software because of the workflow.

Expressions are brilliant

ATB

Andy

• 1 month later...

Another Fusion360 newcomer here. Downloaded a couple of days ago and about 10 hours in to the adventure.

I use 2D AutoCAD LT professionally, so I am familiar with some of the tool names and icons, but a real change in mindset is required, so I think prior 2D CAD experience is no real advantage and shouldn't put anyone off. I think once you've got the basic workflow concepts fixed (such as the basic: create sketch, draw 2D on the sketch, push/pull & then modify), the basics seem to click. Advanced commands required much more trial and error and learning - surely no surprise.

I found the Lars Christensen Youtube channel excellent - this (and the two following episodes) seems like the best one to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bc9c3S12g

I started putting this model together for a station canopy support column (in N gauge). Much trial and error and reversing steps, especially around curved sections, but its getting there; a few tweaks and when grouped with some duplicates and some top / base supports added, Shapeways seemed to think it would print OK.

Canopy%20Lower%20Column_zps5yuswzpk.jpg

Edited by bill badger

• RMweb Premium

I've downloaded Fusion 360, and I've been trying to design something useful (in this case a section of fencing).

I've watched the tutorials by Lars Christensen (mentioned up thread), but they don't help me with this particular problem.  It is entirely possible that I've made a fundamental mistake to start with, but that isn't clear.  I started by creating the right hand most post, and then copy/paste to create the other two.

As you can see from the attached image, I've got three vertical posts, but I'd like the tops of them to be on the angled line, rather all at the same height.  When I select one of the posts to move, I keep getting asked to "Select Sketch Geometry to Move", but it doesn't seem to matter whether I select a face or an axis, I keep getting the message, and I can't move it.  How do I get the posts to move to where I want them ?

post-13511-0-48474900-1506178652_thumb.png

Thanks

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Adrian, there are probably several ways to do this but the way I would do it is:

Create a post and save it.

Make an assembly by starting a new design and saving it (I called it fence).

Drag a post from the file browser on the let into the fence design and click ok.

Drag another post into the fence design, this time move it to one side a bit before clicking ok.

In the Assemble menu select 'joint', click on a face on the new post and then double click on a face on the first post. This will 'mate' the two faces together. You can now move the new post around to where you need it then click ok. If you need to move it again you can edit the joint in from the timeline at the bottom.

post-29388-0-03078200-1506183400_thumb.png

post-29388-0-71901600-1506183437.png

Al

• RMweb Premium

Adrian, there are probably several ways to do this but the way I would do it is:

Create a post and save it.

Make an assembly by starting a new design and saving it (I called it fence).

Drag a post from the file browser on the let into the fence design and click ok.

Drag another post into the fence design, this time move it to one side a bit before clicking ok.

In the Assemble menu select 'joint', click on a face on the new post and then double click on a face on the first post. This will 'mate' the two faces together. You can now move the new post around to where you need it then click ok. If you need to move it again you can edit the joint in from the timeline at the bottom.

Al

Al.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it works.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Al.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it works.

Adrian

Adrian,

while walking the dog I thought that there must be a better way, turns out there is:

Create your fence post, then draw a sketch with the 12 degree line.

post-29388-0-51580300-1506198747_thumb.png

On the Create menu select pattern>pattern on path, a menu will appear.

On the menu for Pattern Type select Bodies and then click on the fence post you created.

Select Path on the menu and click on the line in the sketch you drew.

Drag the blue arrow to space it out a bit.

Play around with the Distance Types to see what works best for you.

post-29388-0-01678400-1506199386_thumb.png

The really cool bit is you can draw a path with lines and arcs and the pattern will follow it!

post-29388-0-32961600-1506200163_thumb.png

Al

• RMweb Premium

Adrian,

while walking the dog I thought that there must be a better way, turns out there is:

Create your fence post, then draw a sketch with the 12 degree line.

attachicon.gifFusion 360 1.PNG

On the Create menu select pattern>pattern on path, a menu will appear.

On the menu for Pattern Type select Bodies and then click on the fence post you created.

Select Path on the menu and click on the line in the sketch you drew.

Drag the blue arrow to space it out a bit.

Play around with the Distance Types to see what works best for you.

attachicon.gifFusion 360 2.PNG

The really cool bit is you can draw a path with lines and arcs and the pattern will follow it!

attachicon.gifFusion 360 3.PNG

Al

Thanks again.

The good news, I've managed to get my posts to where I want them.

The bad news :

• I've acquired a fourth post that I don't want, and I can't get rid of it, no matter how many times I select it and delete it.
  • I'm trying to put the rails in that link the posts.  I can create one of the right cross sectional size, but when I extrude it, it comes out at 90 degrees to the post, whereas I want it to come out parallel to the 12 degree line (if I try and extrude to the next post, it tells me that it can't because it will miss it).  I've tried select move, and then rotate, but I either get a variety of warnings (can't select item for various reasons), or it sort of rotates, but my rail gets truncated to a wedge (the union of the old position and the intended position).  That is assuming that it hasn't made the rail and post into one object, in which case it rotates the combined item.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again.

The good news, I've managed to get my posts to where I want them.

The bad news :

• I've acquired a fourth post that I don't want, and I can't get rid of it, no matter how many times I select it and delete it.
  • I'm trying to put the rails in that link the posts.  I can create one of the right cross sectional size, but when I extrude it, it comes out at 90 degrees to the post, whereas I want it to come out parallel to the 12 degree line (if I try and extrude to the next post, it tells me that it can't because it will miss it).  I've tried select move, and then rotate, but I either get a variety of warnings (can't select item for various reasons), or it sort of rotates, but my rail gets truncated to a wedge (the union of the old position and the intended position).  That is assuming that it hasn't made the rail and post into one object, in which case it rotates the combined item.

Adrian

Adrian,

Extrudes are always at 90 degrees to the sketch plane. Have a play with 'Plane at Angle' and 'Plane along Path' in the construct menu.

If you can't get rid of the unwanted post you can always sketch a rectangle around it and extrude through it with the Operation set to 'cut'.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Adrian,

Extrudes are always at 90 degrees to the sketch plane. Have a play with 'Plane at Angle' and 'Plane along Path' in the construct menu.

If you can't get rid of the unwanted post you can always sketch a rectangle around it and extrude through it with the Operation set to 'cut'.

Al

Thanks for the suggestions.  I probably won't have time to have a go until the weekend.

Adrian