The Great Fusion 360 Thread

It might be an idea to draw your ground profile (your 12 degree line) and post out flat in one go with cross rails drawn in, all in 2d on one sketch, then extrude the lot as one entity from that. Chose to extrude symmetrically, select all the posts and extrude. Then repeat with the rails and bobs yer uncle. 

post-21854-0-61521400-1506289359_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-40960900-1506289356_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-21205500-1506289361_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-80132100-1506289362_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It might be an idea to draw your ground profile (your 12 degree line) and post out flat in one go with cross rails drawn in, all in 2d on one sketch, then extrude the lot as one entity from that. Chose to extrude symmetrically, select all the posts and extrude. Then repeat with the rails and bobs yer uncle. 

Thanks for the suggestion, some thing else to try at the weekend.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I've now had the time to try this approach, and it works !.

For anyone else wanting to do something similar, I created the posts as two point rectangles, but the rails had to be done by starting with a line (set the angle, 12 degrees in this case), then use a dimension the get the right meeting point on the post, then put in a second line (again 12 degrees), and another dimension to get the height of the rail, thus creating a parallelogram.

The design has been exported and sent to the printer, and it almost worked, but that is a separate issue.

Thanks again.

Adrian

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help and guidance from the fine chaps on here.

I've recently started trying to get to grips with Fusion as a progression from CorelDraw and 2D to 3D modelling. I have been able to make the transition fairly painlessly, and have had various small components successfully printed, but the one thing that has completely left me baffled and frustrated is how to model the flare on a chimney or dome, where it intersects with the boiler of a steam engine.

Can anybody provide any hints, tips or thought processes as to how to model this?

Thanks in advance,

Gaz.

.. model the flare on a chimney or dome, where it intersects with the boiler of a steam engine...

Use a method like the second post in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77750-drawing-a-loco-steam-dome-how-to-get-the-varing-flare/

John

PS I found with fusion 360 I had to make the two bodies which were intersecting into a single body, so I could select the edge to fillet (use Modify->Combine to do this). Then do Modify->Fillet and set Type to "Chord Length"

post-18674-0-69713300-1512493016.jpg

Edited by JohnGi

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Thanks for your time - I'll give it a bash later!

Gaz.

Use a method like the second post in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77750-drawing-a-loco-steam-dome-how-to-get-the-varing-flare/

John

PS I found with fusion 360 I had to make the two bodies which were intersecting into a single body, so I could select the edge to fillet (use Modify->Combine to do this). Then do Modify->Fillet and set Type to "Chord Length"

Very easy to do with Lofting, I'm uploading a video as we speak. 

Video now online: Basically you create an intersect to get the profile for the base where it joins the boiler, then a circular profile for the top and in between a circle that can be used to change the curve of the flare, which here I have made parametric. You can have as many as you like to truly nail down the correct curve profile, or you can use another intersect like the base if you want the flare to 'follow' the boiler.

https://youtu.be/9qE9yhgXfb4 

Edited by Quarryscapes

• RMweb Premium

Hi Quarryscapes,

I appreciate the effort, but unfortunately, the link is showing 404 not found!.

Gaz.

Very easy to do with Lofting, I'm uploading a video as we speak. 

Video now online: Basically you create an intersect to get the profile for the base where it joins the boiler, then a circular profile for the top and in between a circle that can be used to change the curve of the flare, which here I have made parametric. You can have as many as you like to truly nail down the correct curve profile, or you can use another intersect like the base if you want the flare to 'follow' the boiler.

https://youtu.be/9qE9yhgXfb4 

• RMweb Premium

Morning Guys,

Following your excellent tutorial - Thanks! - I've managed to bodge up the following;

post-1937-0-66902400-1512554944.jpg

There is no way I would have stumbled my way on to this - yet again, the Forum shows what an excellent resource it is, only because of Contributors like yourself taking the time to put your arm round the shoulders of us lesser mortals!!

Thanks again.

Gaz.

Thanks,
Seems to be working fine just now!
Gaz.

• 3 years later...