lcdr scotchman class drawings

I've always been very fond of William Martleys 'small scotchman' 0-4-2 tanks of 1866, and would be interested in modelling one (or two!), if anyone could point me in the direction of drawings for this very handsome class of engine, I would be most gratified.

post-29975-0-45525400-1505586433.jpg

post-29975-0-35658800-1507989262.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2

I was toying recently with the idea of a Victorian London micro, and, leafing through the pages of the RCTS LCDR volume, formed the conclusion that what I really wanted was Large Scotchman.  A startling thought, if taken out of context. 

I hadn't got any further, however, so I would be interested to learn what sources there may be for drawings.

• Like 2

Indeed, a lovely looking loco, but concealing the motor/gearbox and arranging suspension, if needed, will be fun!

I know very little about the LC&DR so cannot be sure that this is relevant, but the HMRS has a drawing that might be of this type of loco:

https://hmrs.org.uk/drawings/0-4-2-tank.html

The drawing has not yet been scanned, but if you complete the form and send it in, the archivisit will look out the drawing and get back to you.

Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

HMRS Webmaster

I've always been very fond of William Martleys 'small scotchman' 0-4-2 tanks of 1866, and would be interested in modelling one (or two!), if anyone could point me in the direction of drawings for this very handsome class of engine, I would be most gratified
Im1925Env139-p563b.jpg

The HMRS has a good number of drawings of LCDR subjects.

https://hmrs.org.uk/drawings.html?company=6076

I apologise that there are still bugs with the new web site so the on-line ordering system is not yet functional. If you wish to order any of the drawings please email drawings@hmrs.org.uk with your request.

Regards,

Andrew Nummelin,

HMRS Webmaster

I was toying recently with the idea of a Victorian London micro, and, leafing through the pages of the RCTS LCDR volume, formed the conclusion that what I really wanted was Large Scotchman.  A startling thought, if taken out of context. 

I hadn't got any further, however, so I would be interested to learn what sources there may be for drawings.

Indeed, a lovely looking loco, but concealing the motor/gearbox and arranging suspension, if needed, will be fun!

I know very little about the LC&DR so cannot be sure that this is relevant, but the HMRS has a drawing that might be of this type of loco:

https://hmrs.org.uk/drawings/0-4-2-tank.html

The drawing has not yet been scanned, but if you complete the form and send it in, the archivisit will look out the drawing and get back to you.

Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

HMRS Webmaster

These were built by neilsons, (thus the scottish names, so that is more than likely the drawing I'm after, thank you very much good sir!
  • Like 1

I was toying recently with the idea of a Victorian London micro, and, leafing through the pages of the RCTS LCDR volume, formed the conclusion that what I really wanted was Large Scotchman. A startling thought, if taken out of context.

Not a bad idea, set it in lets say 1875, we have both scotchmen classes, plus the not inconceivable lbscr interloper in the form of a terrier or a d1, four wheeled coaches would keep platform lengths relatively short, there we already have the basis for a nice little layout,

Heres a large Scotchman at Greenwich park to set the scene

post-29975-0-90179700-1502298928.jpg

• Like 3

Not a bad idea, set it in lets say 1875, we have both scotchmen classes, plus the not inconceivable lbscr interloper in the form of a terrier or a d1, four wheeled coaches would keep platform lengths relatively short, there we already have the basis for a nice little layout,

Heres a large Scotchman at Greenwich park to set the scene

Very nice!

Thanks for posting.

I had had similar thoughts, but am being seduced by the prospect of the north bank, GER Bromley tanks and Coffee Pots, London & Blackwall, Millwall Extension, LTSR ....

Perhaps a generic Thameside scene so I can swop banks when I feel like it?   

Sorry, topic hi-jack!

• Like 1

These were basically a GNR design IIRC. There are drawings in 'The Engineer' Nov 30th 1866 (available on the Grace's Guide site, I suspect)

Here is a copy I found elsewhere on an internet trawl..

post-26366-0-25751700-1502302410.jpg

Edited by Echo
  • Like 3

These were basically a GNR design IIRC. There are drawings in 'The Engineer' Nov 30th 1866 (available on the Grace's Guide site, I suspect)

Here is a copy I found elsewhere on an internet trawl..

attachicon.gifGNR-LCDR-Radial-Tank.jpg

Indeed, Sturrock had no objection to his design being rehashed for the LCDR, their (the great northerns) original 0-4-2 and 2-2-2 well tanks (from which these were derived) had been converted from Sharp Roberts tender locos, which coincidentally were the original motive power of the south eastern

post-29975-0-44012600-1502303935.jpg

post-29975-0-22966300-1502303988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 4

This type of design is not recommended for layouts with sharp curves. The driving wheels had little or no sideplay, I believe. Only the rear axle had noticeable sideplay - the back end must swing considerably sideways.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There were two series on the GNR. The Chatham engines were based on the second series, with a longer wheelbase, so make sure it is the correct drawing.

The December 1975 Railway Modeller had drawings of the first GNR series. Used in conjunction with a drawing with the correct wheelbase, it should be fine. On which note...

Here is a copy I found elsewhere on an internet trawl.

attachicon.gifGNR-LCDR-Radial-Tank.jpg

Thanks very much. Not seen that one before.

The late Malcolm Parker made an extremely nice 0 gauge model, which I recall seeing on display at a Chatham show in the mid 1990s.

• Like 1