Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

A very late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my friends on Rmweb.

I have been away from from work, modelling, been spending time with the family and friends.

Started some more modelling the other day. Kits have been delivered, computer chads from Ian Nuttal have arrived ready for my bridge, (many thanks Ian) and I am ready to get back into gear.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year.

All the best for 2018

Jesse

• Like 1

Well, back to it. 

Been fiddling around getting minor jobs done on the layout.

After a period of 6 months straight of just wiring, I found it hard to get motivated again, I know just the cure: a bit of scenic work!!! 

post-25906-0-09372600-1516061971_thumb.jpg

Started assembling the last few LMS buffer stops, only one left to go now. 

post-25906-0-16181300-1516062303_thumb.jpg

Bit of work at the south end fiddle yard entrance, Where the ECML passes under some running lines. I had the idea of them being London, Midland and Scottish Railway lines, but have been persuaded by the good people of this thread to opt for a private mineral line/quarry, Still undecided. 

post-25906-0-64940200-1516062437_thumb.jpg

Bridge completed and ready for track laying. A simple yet effective Metcalfe kit has been used, it was the correct height I wanted, so in order to spend more time on the two bridges that need scratch building, I went for the first kit I ever put together and I think it looks rather nice. 

post-25906-0-35608500-1516062734_thumb.jpg

The track having been painted and trimmed for the accurate Permanent way. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Well, back to it. 

Been fiddling around getting minor jobs done on the layout.

After a period of 6 months straight of just wiring, I found it hard to get motivated again, I know just the cure: a bit of scenic work!!! 

attachicon.gifIMG_0370.JPG

Started assembling the last few LMS buffer stops, only one left to go now. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0323.JPG

Bit of work at the south end fiddle yard entrance, Where the ECML passes under some running lines. I had the idea of them being London, Midland and Scottish Railway lines, but have been persuaded by the good people of this thread to opt for a private mineral line/quarry, Still undecided. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0325.JPG

Bridge completed and ready for track laying. A simple yet effective Metcalfe kit has been used, it was the correct height I wanted, so in order to spend more time on the two bridges that need scratch building, I went for the first kit I ever put together and I think it looks rather nice. 

attachicon.gifIMG_03271.JPG

The track having been painted and trimmed for the accurate Permanent way. 

Jesse, if you haven't laid them by then bring those points with you on Saturday. I think some others would be interested in the "Grantham" method of reducing track centres.

Jesse, if you haven't laid them by then bring those points with you on Saturday. I think some others would be interested in the "Grantham" method of reducing track centres.

I have already laid them, these photos are a couple of days old. I have some spare ones here I’ll chop them up and bring them along.

My old man can’t make it, as we are having our driveway and yard re laid in Ashphalt, is that how you spell it?

I may however bring a friend of mine who has been helping me build the layout for the past 8 months. If that is perfectly alright with you?

See you Saturday.

• RMweb Premium

I have already laid them, these photos are a couple of days old. I have some spare ones here I’ll chop them up and bring them along.

My old man can’t make it, as we are having our driveway and yard re laid in Ashphalt, is that how you spell it?

I may however bring a friend of mine who has been helping me build the layout for the past 8 months. If that is perfectly alright with you?

See you Saturday.

No worries.

See you Saturday.

With Grahams permission of course...  :sarcastic:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but is this a real location? Based on a real location? I can't find reference to this in the real world, so I am assuming not?

Hi mate,

Its a 'what if' layout based on a real location. So, Brighton Junction is the fictitious place, that i have created, that is between Grantham and Peascliffe tunnel. Everything is based on real life movements, train formations etc etc. I have basically stretched the gap between the two and placed Brighton Junction in the middle. 

• Like 3

Would of had these photos up earlier, however, I received a very harsh stomach bug on Saturday afternoon, had my first solid solid meal only last night. Feeling much better now, apart for a possible stye, typing with one eye partially closed at the moment. I can't win! 

On saturday I was invited over to my friend Johns, (St Enodoc), house to have a running day. A special guest, Barry Oliver, was over from the UK also. Had a lovely afternoon running the sequence of Johns layout, all prototypical of course, 40 odd moves am i correct John? 

A few pictures I took with my Iphone. 

post-25906-0-68111500-1516655412_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-78115900-1516655319_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-01685900-1516655378_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-89231100-1516655454_thumb.jpg

I quickly snapped this photo of the train I was driving. Wonderful. 

post-25906-0-68953200-1516655487_thumb.jpg

Cheers John, for a lovely afternoon and good to see you Baz, see you in August, in a lot more cooler climate! 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Would of had these photos up earlier, however, I received a very harsh stomach bug on Saturday afternoon, had my first solid solid meal only last night. Feeling much better now, apart for a possible stye, typing with one eye partially closed at the moment. I can't win! 

On saturday I was invited over to my friend Johns, (St Enodoc), house to have a running day. A special guest, Barry Oliver, was over from the UK also. Had a lovely afternoon running the sequence of Johns layout, all prototypical of course, 40 odd moves am i correct John? 

attachicon.gifIMG_0432.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0434.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0437.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0438.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0439.JPG

Cheers John, for a lovely afternoon and good to see you Baz, see you in August, in a lot more cooler climate! 

Thanks for posting those Jesse. Yes, the current sequence has 44 trains. Eventually there will be over 300...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yikes!

I suppose I will have to remember all those, as one of your possible running day drivers?  ;)

Don't worry, they'all all be written down. At six sessions a year and an average of 50 trains a session we'll get through the whole sequence every 12 months.

attachicon.gifIMG_0432.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0434.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0437.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0438.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0439.JPG

What funny looking trains!

Good to hear of a confirmed sighting of the Oliver in Oz :)

What funny looking trains!

Good to hear of a confirmed sighting of the Oliver in Oz :)

I'm going to slowly and secretly start to replace them all with Gresleys. 

It was good to see Baz, I'll be seeing you all in August. Might have a lengthy goods train for LB back dating. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Few wagons for Brighton Junction, need to set my paint shop up now. Which is better, air brush or brush?

attachicon.gifIMG_0472.JPG

Both...

For me it depends on what you want to achieve, and the finish you are trying to model.

For wooden bodied wagons I tend to brush paint.  There are two reasons for this; the brush marks give a good representation of the wood's grain and it is very easy to mix in various shades of your base colour to get the variation in colour that is needed for the weathering process, a couple of my hand painted wagons are below.  Its also key if you want to finish the insides of an open in unpainted wood (although I still haven't got round to applying that finish to the open below).

blogentry-54-0-33577300-1370709504.jpg

For flat surfaces I think airbrushing gives a much better finish, although where there are available colour matches  I much prefer to use automotive aerosols given how easy it is to get a great finish from them. 

For black it depends on the area to be covered and the standard of finish required.  For small areas like wagon solbars I tend to brush paint, larger flat areas (such as the end of a GW coach) I spray. 

• Like 2

Both...

For me it depends on what you want to achieve, and the finish you are trying to model.

For wooden bodied wagons I tend to brush paint.  There are two reasons for this; the brush marks give a good representation of the wood's grain and it is very easy to mix in various shades of your base colour to get the variation in colour that is needed for the weathering process, a couple of my hand painted wagons are below.  Its also key if you want to finish the insides of an open in unpainted wood (although I still haven't got round to applying that finish to the open below).

blogentry-54-0-33577300-1370709504.jpg

For flat surfaces I think airbrushing gives a much better finish, although where there are available colour matches  I much prefer to use automotive aerosols given how easy it is to get a great finish from them. 

For black it depends on the area to be covered and the standard of finish required.  For small areas like wagon solbars I tend to brush paint, larger flat areas (such as the end of a GW coach) I spray. 

Thanks heaps, sorry for the lateness been camping for the Australia Day long weekend. 

I'll be giving a few options a go over the next few weeks. 

Cheers for the help

Jesse 

• Like 1

Seeing as I have to wait for some materials to come in at my local hobby shop; plasticard, point motors, etc etc. I have decided to tackle some minor jobs, I believe procrastinating is the word better suited. Never the less, these jobs would still need doing at some point. 

I built up a 12 ton low-sided wagon and fitted Smiths 3-link couplings. I also fitted the 3-link couplings to the Grain wagon and van. A few photos of the three wagons coupled together in a goods train.

post-25906-0-87337300-1517271486_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-84512000-1517271521_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-32093900-1517271547_thumb.jpg

I added some real coal to a 7-plank LMS wagon, to be marshaled in the coal train. The coal train serves two workings, Colwick-Kings Cross, or a coalfield in the north (I haven't decided on one yet) to Kings Cross. 

post-25906-0-34754900-1517271624_thumb.jpg

Last but not least, a tarped load for a SR 5-plank wagon. I really like the look of this one, very pleased with myself. 

post-25906-0-20758500-1517271585_thumb.jpg

I also glued a tarp on top of a LNER 12T van, but I haven't finished it yet. The purpose was known throughout the years, if a van had a leak, they would simply tie a tarpaulin on top until it was able to be repaired. 

Of course all the wagons need to be weathered, which will happen in time, As well as painting of the Parkside wagons. 

• Like 5