Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

Many thanks Tony, I’m actually really enjoying the solder kit building compared to the plastic and glue kits. Need to get myself a set of bending bars before doing the DS kits.

The parcel has not arrived yet unfortunately.

Well, if I’m allowed at Wright Towers again then I will surely not say no. If Mo will have me back again, I know it would be a yes from you, (I hope so).

You're booked in for November!

• Like 1

Today consisted of painting the Ratio signal box interior pieces, and then completing the signal box for Brighton Junction.

Now all I need is to paint it and get some Brighton Junction signs made up to finish it off, anyone know anyone that can do this?

post-25906-0-76077700-1547976414_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-81881900-1547976428_thumb.jpeg

Here she is sitting on the layout. post-25906-0-42099400-1547976448_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

Jesse that signal box looks really good. You could use the slaters small letters on plasticard for the name.

The kit looks good, is it a GNR design or a generic?

It really is, great kit to put together. Yeah it’s GNR one, it’s based of one somewhere a bit further south then where my layouts set, but oh well, beats scratch building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jesse that signal box looks really good. You could use the slaters small letters on plasticard for the name.

The kit looks good, is it a GNR design or a generic?

Hard to get the really small, 1.5mm, letters these days (and the typeface might not be right anyway). However, I have a supply on account of my using them for BR smokebox numbers so, Jesse, if you ask me nicely (and start turning up to running sessions instead of making boring excuses like working) you are welcome to have some to try.

Hard to get the really small, 1.5mm, letters these days (and the typeface might not be right anyway). However, I have a supply on account of my using them for BR smokebox numbers so, Jesse, if you ask me nicely (and start turning up to running sessions instead of making boring excuses like working) you are welcome to have some to try.

I was trying to get there John, honestly, but the truck driver never turned up until 3pm

Jesse will now be taking a break from modelling due to... shoes being stolen, messes on carpet... socks being stolen... sleepless nights due to howling...distractions from every time he sits down there is something tugging at his ankles, socks, and the General fun of having a puppy come into his life!

Well done mate... a dog tends to change you for the better... it is one way to get you dragged out of the house for walks or just play with a ball. Indiana (see avatar) is now 5 years old and puts up with the local puppies on his walks.... he enjoys a play now and then let alone the attention from the other dogs. He is a gentleman and plays nicely until he thinks it's time to continue the walk so starts walking away from the other dog/ puppy...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dogs are just the greatest - my two beagles are crazy but boy are they loyal, affectionate and great company.

You will not regret the purchase (in the long run).  You just need to take the chewing etc in your stride and you will be richly rewarded.

A train room is not the best place for a dog though.  My two know nothing about train schedules.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

She’ll be joining the Sim Family pack soon, Mum and dad said they’d never go past 4 dogs, well Matilda (the new one) makes 4 hehe!

Back to the modelling, the great thing about working for your family is that it works quiet then I can play trains. So i did.

My chippy nature came out and started cracking on covering up the 2 hidden sidings.

post-25906-0-30619900-1548305939_thumb.jpeg

You wouldn’t even know that there are 2 sidings underneath once the cutting is built. The casing is to protect the stock underneath.

post-25906-0-24469700-1548305960_thumb.jpeg

I’ll be attaching an LED strip along the top, with a mirror on the wall to see everything. A camera may be added at a later date.

post-25906-0-72939900-1548305983_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-96457000-1548306002_thumb.jpeg

I then cracked on with the road that leads into the small town.

Looking south down the main road shops.

post-25906-0-62834600-1548306031_thumb.jpeg

Looking north, chuck a right and you’ll go over Bleesing Road Bridge, which crosses the ECML and a left will take you past a few shops and onwards to where you please. On the left before the corner will be a transport buisness, a fairly new industry with some modern machinery (of the 30s). The owner of the company is clearly a rich basta*d!!!!!

post-25906-0-92802700-1548306049_thumb.jpeg

Annnnnnnd an overall view, still heaps to do.

post-25906-0-62199600-1548306067_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am still trying to work out the new and improved RMWEB, but in between all that I have been tinkering. 

All stock has been removed in order to actually get stuff done, LED's have been fitted to the hidden section, plenty of wiring, point motors and scenic work to be done before the BRMA meeting in June? July? (Rodney please email me, as I've forgotten again) and I accidentally purchased a new A4, whoops. I also went out to my Nan's to raid my Pop's old work bench. My pop was a massive influence to me and was the one that got me into model railways. He had a layout that when he passed in 2009 I tried to incorporate into my own layout, with little success. I looked into the old garage and could remember when I was a young boy playing trains with him, was a real memory tear jerker. My girlfriend, Rachel, happily sat there and listened to me as I raided, talked and sighed. I ended up leaving with the box draws that contained the modelling tools, everything and anything was inside. I also convinced my dear old Nan to let me inherit his old Hornby O gauge wind up collection, which will be packed up until I have a house of my own, in which it will then be displayed in glass cabinets. 

I've been busier then a one armed bricklayer in Baghdad. Now where did I put that soldering iron......

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Well, I am still trying to work out the new and improved RMWEB, but in between all that I have been tinkering. 

All stock has been removed in order to actually get stuff done, LED's have been fitted to the hidden section, plenty of wiring, point motors and scenic work to be done before the BRMA meeting in June? July? (Rodney please email me, as I've forgotten again) and I accidentally purchased a new A4, whoops. I also went out to my Nan's to raid my Pop's old work bench. My pop was a massive influence to me and was the one that got me into model railways. He had a layout that when he passed in 2009 I tried to incorporate into my own layout, with little success. I looked into the old garage and could remember when I was a young boy playing trains with him, was a real memory tear jerker. My girlfriend, Rachel, happily sat there and listened to me as I raided, talked and sighed. I ended up leaving with the box draws that contained the modelling tools, everything and anything was inside. I also convinced my dear old Nan to let me inherit his old Hornby O gauge wind up collection, which will be packed up until I have a house of my own, in which it will then be displayed in glass cabinets. 

I've been busier then a one armed bricklayer in Baghdad. Now where did I put that soldering iron......

Hi Jesse,

The BRMA meeting at your place is one the 01st of June.

My next BRMA challenge will be Forestvillew on the 02nd and 03rd of March.

Cheers

Rodney

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, RodneyV said:

Hi Jesse,

The BRMA meeting at your place is one the 01st of June.

My next BRMA challenge will be Forestvillew on the 02nd and 03rd of March.

Cheers

Rodney

Ahh excellent. 

For forrestville I have a mix of things to do, mostly painting, however, if the kits I’m waiting on come from the UK I may do some soldering instead. 

• Like 1

Decided on tackling the bridge that spans Brighton Junction at the north end, this is the third attempt at this bridge and I’m happy to say I’ve finally accomplished it. 

I measured and marked up the arches perfectly for the previous one, so I marked everything out on some plywood and then cut it out with a jigsaw. Everything matched up perfectly. The inside supports fit perfectly aswell, so they went in straight away. 

20F8A1AD-EA4F-4119-B70D-C7484BCC9A18.jpeg.ff87700a6c4a44b3ed366c7e27ee158a.jpeg

Here it is here with everything glued in place. 

6352B20C-4883-46D6-9714-3D997066E758.jpeg.0d9c64992f2c544dac8b6c6f335054fa.jpeg

16515827-2819-4B25-BB54-6240CB21627D.jpeg.ff6f1ebcd8fbedc8728def30eb7a328a.jpeg

just need to add another brick brick sheet on the left hand side. 

I’m pretty proud of myself with this completely scratchbuilt bridge. I’ll be using Metcalfe brick sheet on the plywood and the Metclafe brick viaduct tops for where it meets the road. 

Hopefully eveyrhing will come along nice nice and easy. 

• Like 12