Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

Having recently used the HMRS wagon sheet for lettering my snowplough, I think one can do most likely lettering. There is certainly a 'Return to' one can lift, and I think there might be a 'York' as well.

I draw a soft pencil line on the model to line up the lettering. It rubs out later, or disappears under weathering. Putting words together is no harder than numbering a wagon.

What I've done when I needed text which wasn't on the sheet but was in that style was to scan the letters I needed on a black background then use a graphics program (GIMP in my case) to resize and align them into the text I wanted.  John Peck at Precision Labels then does an excellent bespoke printing service in white. 

Had a bit of a play yesterday afternoon. Couldn’t help myself.

Here we have an O4 heading south with a loaded coal train, whilst a B2 waits on the Nottingham line with a stopping passenger from Nottingham. 

58CAD882-6D07-4F7D-9C16-C5579858090E.jpeg.307144d0b20275f1243bd836834e0fa8.jpeg

Heading north is a goods train with various wagons. You can see the partially completed engineers train in the siding with a whole bunch of stuff along the scenic road. 

11E401BD-6BF8-4BEB-B0ED-4E59A9020658.jpeg.ee7d0cf112dd892ed818775b4a57a682.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Had a bit of a play yesterday afternoon. Couldn’t help myself.

Here we have an O4 heading south with a loaded coal train, whilst a B2 waits on the Nottingham line with a stopping passenger from Nottingham. 

58CAD882-6D07-4F7D-9C16-C5579858090E.jpeg.307144d0b20275f1243bd836834e0fa8.jpeg

Heading north is a goods train with various wagons. You can see the partially completed engineers train in the siding with a whole bunch of stuff along the scenic road. 

11E401BD-6BF8-4BEB-B0ED-4E59A9020658.jpeg.ee7d0cf112dd892ed818775b4a57a682.jpeg

Look forward to some teddy bear fur action - mainly so that I can learn who you do it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Look forward to some teddy bear fur action - mainly so that I can learn who you do it!

Still unsure if I’m going to use it, I tried painting some of it and it didn’t turn out well. I need to find another way on how to paint it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Don't you use fabric dye with teddy bear fur?

Ask Roy Jackson when you're over here if you're calling on him - there's acres of it on Retford.

Not a bad idea, I’d love to go and see Retford again. May try and sweet talk Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Is that a Freudian slip?

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t been doing much on the railway the last month due to some personal reasons that I won’t bore you all with. But, the last week, I’ve had the motivation and cracked on some more.

its amazing what a bit of timber work can do....

B8099B46-8160-43F8-9F95-C3302E485718.jpeg.caab9348370b751f0cf6026a5c4c37bd.jpeg

stocks slowing getting put back on the layout, with everything getting a good thorough run! 

6420244D-0678-4E53-A9A0-9A72FC6AFF92.jpeg.45dfe204d730ff69abc549d82bbf5f92.jpeg

ive been tinkering with bits and pieces, I have a BRMA running session on the 1st of June and still need to do a little bit of wiring, couple of point motors here and a few switches and drop wires there. I could show it as is, but the extra wiring will help immensely. 

The previous post was a hint on an article I am writing, but that’s been out on hold till after June the 1st. 

Plenty to still do, but, overall I’m happy with the way the layouts coming along.....another 10ft would be nice but, maybe sometime in the future. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Perhaps you need to look for a disused Chapel Jesse?:jester:

Baz

We would all like more space for our layouts. I would have liked an extra metre on the width of my railway room (which as Jesse and Baz know is not exactly small) but that would have doubled the cost due to the need to protect an underground drain. I've learned to live with it.

• Like 1

My railway room is 22' by 11', and that's quite large enough thank you. I'm currently in the process of wiring point motors for the bottom level storage sidings and it's very boring but has to be done.

I think if the room was any larger I might have designed something that turned out to be 'unmaintainable'.

You seem to be making much better progress than I am.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, drmditch said:

My railway room is 22' by 11', and that's quite large enough thank you. I'm currently in the process of wiring point motors for the bottom level storage sidings and it's very boring but has to be done.

I think if the room was any larger I might have designed something that turned out to be 'unmaintainable'.

You seem to be making much better progress than I am.

I have about half that space and although I'd like something bigger that's just not possible. In any case it's more than I've ever had  before. However, if I did have something of that size I  would use it for open countryside rather than a bigger station, junction or whatever. It's probably heresy to mention things western on this thread but something like Whiteball or Hemerdon would fit the bill.

Each to their own of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I consider myself to be very lucky. When Mrs M came to view our house she phoned me and said that the intended railway room, the garage was no bigger than I had but would I like the living room? 20 ft by 15 ft, in the warm in winter, north facing so cool in the summer. Don't worry there is a family room that is south facing and over looks the paddock and stables which suits Mrs M.

So I filled the room up.

104063025_newmaster6insplatscenic.png.2de90aaa1e45143c1551ac58c9954a0a.png

18 months later and this is how far I have got.  I am really lucky.

• Like 7

As others have said no shed /room is ever large enough - we all dream of something larger. My current railway shed is 22.5 x 17 ft which is nearly double what I had previously (13+ years ago).  I'm very slow with the scenery on this layout so anything larger? Onward with building locos and rolling stock for an exhibition layout I'm involved with!

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Whatever space you have you'll always end up wanting more because you could just fit that little bit more in.
But if you started off with extra space you would still want more space because you fit more in or have a different larger plan.
But you would then like more space for that new larger plan, and it would be an endless cycle...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2