Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

In your response to your request on Wright Writes, Jesse,

Some comments on the pictures...............

Firstly, well done! The depth of field is excellent, and the composition is very good. 

I think what you need to do is 'lift some shadows', particularly on the 'underneath' parts of the locos and stock. Your general exposures are very good, but a couple of tips (if I may, please?) with regard to lightening the 'nether regions'. 

As you know, I use pulses of fill-in flash to lighten shadows underneath footplates/solebars/etc. I can do this because of long exposures - typically four/five seconds at F32 - and a very powerful Metz gun. I fire the Metz independently, aiming it at the shadows. Four/five pulses at F8 usually does the trick, without altering the overall exposure. Now the rub! A big Metz gun is not cheap, and is usually the kit of professional photographers. 

So, how to lighten those shadows without forking out loads of bucks (assuming you can find a Metz 60)? Get a fairly powerful torch and aim it at the shadows during the exposures, moving it from side to side as you do. Set the ISO on your camera to its lowest setting, with the aperture at its smallest. This will enable you to have long exposures, with plenty of time for torch-work.

You know the following pictures, of course - your splendid A4 romping through Little Bytham! The shadows were softened by using the Metz.

1838393913_JesseA402.jpg.a2e573db467ad15149761ae254a437f4.jpg

126980096_JesseA403.jpg.ac61a63db875b34ee09c1421c738b54a.jpg

813696839_Trainsrunning74JesseA4.jpg.721903760d5ac02034875c8e4bf66c8a.jpg

One other thing you might attempt in the fullness of time is to take out the backgrounds in Photoshop. When you're over here in the autumn, I'll show you how.

Please send my very best wishes to all the chaps.

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. I must go now. I've got six P4 modellers visiting LB today. It MUST be on its best behaviour!

Many thanks Tony, 

i think the torch would be the most practical idea, maybe one day along the lines I’ll get the whole get up. 

Photoshop is something I do know, I know a program that I’d be able to use. 

Im glad I worked out the exposure stuff, thanks for that phone call, photos turned out much better then before. I’m really enjoying looking at decent photos of my own layout. 

They all asked how you were and wished you well on the day. 

Oh of course, it must be on it’s best behaviour. 

Thanks again. 

7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

They’ll be in shock at seeing something running 

They weren't shocked at all, Jesse,

They thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and LB worked impeccably (even if I didn't). 

More on Wright Writes.........................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jesse

The SR bogie ballast wagons on Gresley Beat are on because the layout owner likes them. They are JIM encourage kits..6 of them..just like I built many years ago...

Baz

8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Jesse

The SR bogie ballast wagons on Gresley Beat are on because the layout owner likes them. They are JIM encourage kits..6 of them..just like I built many years ago...

Baz

ahhhhh, so no prototypical links or anythin? 

Progress on the layout, I’ve ripped out a useless single slip that I had problems with and that I didn’t really need. 

Now a standard crossover is in place for the Nottingham line. Nice simple and effective. 

2820B570-A971-4149-856A-7ADED29F8604.jpeg.134abe4a85b76dd0c4b5afd5d14ae640.jpeg

Now for something completely different, I’ve quit smoking, and to Tony’s disbelief I’m sure...... I’m getting a haircut. I know, my long flowing locks of hair will be gone by Friday! 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Now for something completely different, I’ve quit smoking, and to Tony’s disbelief I’m sure...... I’m getting a haircut. I know, my long flowing locks of hair will be gone by Friday! 

Have your hair how like Jesse but quitting the weed is most important!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Let me clarify, cigarettes, not marijuana!! 

My word, Jesse,

Getting your hair cut? I won't recognise you! At least you won't use up all the hot water washing it like you did last time you visited.

As for quitting smoking, good on you. Trying to be dispassionate, ask yourself this question with regard to cigarettes. Would I, in all intelligence, embark on a habit which everyone knows will give you prolonged ill health and shorten your life, and cost a fortune into the bargain? 

Just think, you'll be able to enjoy the company of your wonderful family and friends for a lot longer now!

922749935_Jessie03.jpg.4cf85c56f8c1d3fdecfb9861ad72804a.jpg

With the very best of wishes,

Tony. 

• Like 5

I'm with you Jesse... Smoking takes up too much good modelling money. One thing I have always questioned is the recommendation to not solder and smoke at the same time.... Is the recommendation to save the customer or actually to save the even worse effects of gaseous cadmium (low melt of course), lead, tin, and phosphoric acid? 

As for the flowing locks.... they will always grow back! Mine have decided to change colour from black slowly one at a time. 8-(  

Oh the other thing that photo... we grow'm tall in Australia!

Edited by DougN

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, the quiting of the smoking  hasn’t gone all to plan, but I have cut myself back a lot, which is a start. It will eventually be cut back to zero. Although the hair did come off. 

Back to the modelling, had a couple of hours spare time this arvo, having a beer with my mate Ben, so we decided on some nice and calm ballasting, got about 2 feet done and gave up and went to the pub. 

B9F2EEDB-E003-4E1B-BC7B-FD685FFD831A.jpeg.eb64200e05e06973ecf2af222f8068be.jpeg

Bens actually really good at ballasting, might get him to do all of it.....

The South Eastern Finecast J39 chassis is rolling, it’s getting DCC’d at the moment, the tender has been built also. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Evening all, the quiting of the smoking  hasn’t gone all to plan, but I have cut myself back a lot, which is a start. It will eventually be cut back to zero. Although the hair did come off. 

Back to the modelling, had a couple of hours spare time this arvo, having a beer with my mate Ben, so we decided on some nice and calm ballasting, got about 2 feet done and gave up and went to the pub. 

B9F2EEDB-E003-4E1B-BC7B-FD685FFD831A.jpeg.eb64200e05e06973ecf2af222f8068be.jpeg

Bens actually really good at ballasting, might get him to do all of it.....

The South Eastern Finecast J39 chassis is rolling, it’s getting DCC’d at the moment, the tender has been built also. 

The ballast looks very dark Jesse.

When I was at University I found that I couldn't afford to smoke, drink, drive a car and go out with women, so I stopped smoking. I THINK that was the right choice...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The ballast looks very dark Jesse.

When I was at University I found that I couldn't afford to smoke, drink, drive a car and go out with women, so I stopped smoking. I THINK that was the right choice...

It won’t be that colour all the way through the layout, the LNER used the pristine ballast for main running lines the second best stuff for passing loops and crappy stuff for anywhere not important. 

The area pictured is actually mostly ash with a little ballast added in, I do think my ratio is a bit off. I will add ash on top I think. 

Remember the LNER was the poorest of the big four company’s. 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So the stock has been removed, and the dismantling of Brighton Junction has begun.......

I’m just joking, my old man came in and seen the stock off said in his own colourful way “what the f**k are you doing now, you better not be starting another one”, rest assured, I’m not!! 

34972C5E-ECDE-4354-8486-0E73AF0107B1.jpeg.2e1992447ab23add67b1e3f60f261c29.jpeg

All the stock has been removed so as to remove temptation to ‘play trains’ when there’s work to be done. I realised that nothing was getting done, so I am going to crack on with some tasks such as finishing kits, painting said kits, adding a few more drop wires in certain dead spots, and attempt made at weathering stock. This includes weathering of locomotives, renumbering and detailing. 

I also need to finish off this scratchbuilt bridge, mostly weathering, and then it can be properly placed in the scene. 

10A0ADF7-C626-49DE-98C7-55BF06106235.jpeg.1b499690b4eee8324ccc2f38a4e2cde0.jpeg

In between all that, the department rake needs to be completed, should keep me busy for a while.....

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

my old man came in and seen the stock off said in his own colourful way “what the f**k are you doing now, you better not be starting another one”

Like father, like son...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You're supposed to be at the Mid-Cornwall Lines today...

Rookie mistake calling off sick, and then posting something that clearly shows that they're, in fact not as 'sick' as they said... ;)

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You're supposed to be at the Mid-Cornwall Lines today...

I totally forgot about it John, I worked all morning and then had to get the rock into the track cause it was blocking the driveway and then I had a nap, cause I was getting old.... sorry again

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

. . . forgot about it . . . had a nap, cause I was getting old . . .

Got some bad news for you . . . it only gets worse . . . !

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1