Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

Bit of scenery work this weekend, ballasting and swearing....you can actually see where I had become more comfortable with ballasting, it turned out much better then I thought. 

this section will need a bit of touching up, but happy with the outcome. 

0265F56E-83B2-40AB-B1D2-4950ACE3A3EB.jpeg.67c6a77039210baad56fd672d6dbd800.jpeg

same goes for the section after the bridge. 

65381106-509F-44C3-9D06-7BA07369E2C2.jpeg.54902b0b7f4cc2cc948c339e62b21021.jpeg

really please with this section out of Peasecliffe tunnel, still plenty to do! 

D3A3DD9B-339A-4BBE-95FA-D94502828608.jpeg.b60049e05295ca876cd32a52734bb267.jpeg

I also made the roadway down to the private coal merchant and sidings better and more suitable for a horse drawn cart and not a 4x4, as it was before. 

953ADA75-20FC-42F4-B54F-E3E450CCF998.jpeg.210ee85e735c473b7cafd89a7a2cda1d.jpeg2231821E-113A-41E9-A151-9AFB2BAACC18.jpeg.6857e64d3f2e0de47481efc2e5499378.jpeg

Overall, I’m happy, it was my first time ballasting, obviously it will get better over the years, I’ve used different techniques for all the areas, this layout really is a learning curve. Hopefully tackle the rest of the ballast through the week and start working on some weathering! Spray gun is loaded and ready for some action! 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Keep at it Jesse.  

I use one of the Proses ballast spreader thingies, works a treat.  Recently on Trainmasters TV they had a segment on better ways to ballast turnouts by basically painting on glue between the sleepers around the tie bar end and for about 8 sleepers towards the frog.  It keeps glue and ballast from getting mucked in with the mechanical bits and has sped up my recovery time after ballasting no end.  You can sort of get the idea watching the end of the preview Here.

Cheers

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, if you need ideas around changing ballast colour or weathering ballast, I did up a video for Gilbert a year or so ago about using pan pastels on ballast. I use it quite a bit and find it less messy than airbrushing, but it’s what you are most comfortable with too.

video here 

cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Keep at it Jesse.  

I use one of the Proses ballast spreader thingies, works a treat.  Recently on Trainmasters TV they had a segment on better ways to ballast turnouts by basically painting on glue between the sleepers around the tie bar end and for about 8 sleepers towards the frog.  It keeps glue and ballast from getting mucked in with the mechanical bits and has sped up my recovery time after ballasting no end.  You can sort of get the idea watching the end of the preview Here.

Cheers

Tony

That’s what I’ll think I’ll do around the points, just brush the PVA on and sprinkle the ballast and then vacuum it up. Many thanks for the video on weathering, that is an idea, I’ve raised my girlfriends make up brush draw and gone through what she won’t need and then ran away with some brushes before she changed her mind! 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Jesse, i glued then stuck the ballast on Granthem ..as in small btush in betwenn the railws with pva/water/washing up liquid mix then add ballast. Tamp it down using a finger.

The track has a 

Line of oil/loco carp at the ends of the sleepers using diluted poster paints to a concoction of Red Leaders almost dry brushed on.

Baz

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Jesse, i glued then stuck the ballast on Granthem ..as in small btush in betwenn the railws with pva/water/washing up liquid mix then add ballast. Tamp it down using a finger.

The track has a 

Line of oil/loco carp at the ends of the sleepers using diluted poster paints to a concoction of Red Leaders almost dry brushed on.

Baz

Wait wait wait wait, you brushed glue in between alllllllllllll those sleepers in Grantham? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Wait wait wait wait, you brushed glue in between alllllllllllll those sleepers in Grantham? 

no just in the goods and loco shed yards.. mainlines are on peco foam..just filled the gaps between the peco foam edges.

Red Leader just kept me in hot tea as it was flipping cold in the Chapel!

Even so .yes there were a lot of sleepers to ballast around

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

no just in the goods and loco shed yards.. mainlines are on peco foam..just filled the gaps between the peco foam edges.

Red Leader just kept me in hot tea as it was flipping cold in the Chapel!

Even so .yes there were a lot of sleepers to ballast around

Baz

Yeah I remember when I popped in for that day in November 2016 and glued the station support brackets on. A small part but surreal! Freezing cold it was! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And there I was, thinking you'd given up fags!

Regards,

Tony. 

10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I did give up the fags for a good month.....Have I just been put on 2 weeks detention Tony? 

I gave up fags at Uni, when I found that I couldn't afford to smoke, drink, drive a car and go out with women.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I gave up fags at Uni, when I found that I couldn't afford to smoke, drink, drive a car and go out with women.

It is called getting your priorities right!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My luck with women at that age was so poor I decided I would walk to the pub to drink and smoke myself to death. Something went wrong in that plan as I no longer smoke or drink and if we go out I have to do the driving so she can have a drink. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

How's your luck with women at that age nowadays?

I dare not even try.......I am under the threat that should I ever have an affair Mrs M will find out where she lives and take the train set round to hers.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I dare not even try.......I am under the threat that should I ever have an affair Mrs M will find out where she lives and take the train set round to hers.

That should prove interesting :biggrin_mini:

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felinfoelm

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

For my first time ballasting, I don’t think it’s turned out all that bad, definitely room for improvement and I do need to touch up some areas, but I’m very happy with it! 

087310D5-E4CF-4E4A-A868-6782594169ED.jpeg.dd6727ee306910a631eeb17e8fa86670.jpeg

I'd be inclined to use a slightly smaller brush...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Looking good there Jesse. Forget the fags and get sound chips for the locos.... alot more healthy! 

There will be a heap of toning down as it all ends up too stark at times. I have the problem that the NER ballasted most secondary lines in Ash ballast which being black needs warming up in colours and with black sleepers they tend to disappear. So I am looking at dark browns similar to the track colour but darkened slightly to achieve a contrast.... only been 3 months since I started that lot. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1