Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

Bit of an update:

No fractures or cracks in my ankle, but, I have completely obliterated one of the three ligaments in my ankle. Not sure yet if I need a boot, but it does mean Physio to get my muscles stronger to cope for the missing ligament. Resting over the weekend until I see the Doc on Monday and then I’ll know for certain what the go is. 

Mum has given me permission to do some modelling in bed....that’s the real highlight of today! :D

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Jesse Sim said:

Bit of an update:

No fractures or cracks in my ankle, but, I have completely obliterated one of the three ligaments in my ankle. Not sure yet if I need a boot, but it does mean Physio to get my muscles stronger to cope for the missing ligament. Resting over the weekend until I see the Doc on Monday and then I’ll know for certain what the go is. 

Mum has given me permission to do some modelling in bed....that’s the real highlight of today! :D

Ligaments used to mean six weeks immobilised in plaster (Barry O knows how I know this) but I guess things are more sophisticated nowadays.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

things are more sophisticated nowadays.

Does Jesse have the MkII body, or is the sophistication just 6 weeks in acrylic rather than plaster?

Hope you get sorted well enough to manage the UK trip Jesse, acrylic is a lot lighter then plaster, sets a lot quicker and is more resistant to damage (experience based on daughter’s broken arm 25 years ago).

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

Don't forget the lemon! 

No hood about the ankle Jesse, hope is repairs quickly with out some one attacking you with a scalpel! 

hope the weather is kind up your way... down here in Mexico it's all over the place 36 yesterday... now about 22 overnight and all of today.... as it is a bit of a long weekend due to the Melbourne cup...4 days brilliant!.... I may even attack some modelling!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jesse

Looks like you might have time to paw over some Yeadons during your recouperation.

Did you manage to get some of those cheap secondhand volumes that David Lord has?

By the way you might like to schedule coming to Adelaide for the 2020 BRMA convention into your plans for next year. It's during the period 8-12 October.

Regards and recover quickly.

Andrew E

5 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Hi Jesse

Looks like you might have time to paw over some Yeadons during your recouperation.

Did you manage to get some of those cheap secondhand volumes that David Lord has?

By the way you might like to schedule coming to Adelaide for the 2020 BRMA convention into your plans for next year. It's during the period 8-12 October.

Regards and recover quickly.

Andrew E

Hi Andrew, I didn’t get the chance unfortunately, still on my to do list. 

I’m currently painting some wagons with my girl Matilda trying to help. Still waiting for dad to serve me a Carona (without lemon or lime Doug!) 

8648C5F8-B512-44DA-9368-43270590940F.jpeg.e06cce578d362b215eb0c8c6cf880d06.jpeg

C07B83C4-19BE-4E7B-8BE2-5C62852C9BAD.jpeg.ea15baadbefdbc3e596bf5bbe85585b3.jpeg

Any special reason why i should come to Adelaide? Or just a reminder? 

jesse 

• Like 4

Jesse

For one you'll be able to see a lot of 4mm scale kit built LNER stock like you see on Grantham and that you are now building, on my layout.

Also you can see and have a go at operating a new LNER exhibition layout currently being built by Gavin Thrum, which will be finished in time for the convention and will be exhibited on the Friday evening and during the Saturday at the Convention. Its based on Spilsby in Lincolnshire. I'm providing the stock - I've currently been teaching myself how to line with bow pen and another lining pen. Have done a C12 and almost finished a D2. 

Hope you can come.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Okay, update time: 

Having surgery today on my ankle, I’ll be in a boot, not sure for how long, I’ll be right to walk in a few days which is a good thing. Tony, the bedroom I normally use will be perfectly suitable, there goes the idea of sleeping next to LB....damn haha. 

Although the Doc reckons a mobility scooter may be an idea at Warley, as my foot might get stiff and sore. 

Nothing, let me repeat, NOTHING, will stop me coming to the UK to play trains!!!!! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

18 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Good on yeh Jesse!

Mental note though..never play in kick abouts...

Hope the op goes ok.

Baz

Thanks Baz, both my mate and I are having surgeries on our ankles today, he had a bad crash on his dirt bike on the weekend, where I was meant to go but couldn’t cause of this injury. His ankle was dangling at a weird angle only held on by his tendons....plate and screws later....

he’s defo worse then me

• Friendly/supportive 2

No good about having to see the vet about the ankle Jesse, glad to hear that it will all be ok for the trip to the UK. Have to turn up for the convention next year! If you didn't I think Andrew will send the boys around to deal with the other ankle! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Take up rugby. Football's too rough.

Oh yes that's a great idea. I mean rugby is such a nice safe non-contact sport isn't it?! I still have trouble with the knee I messed up playing rugby at school in 1975! The real problem is your idea of "football" is very different to the rest of world's. I mean really? What are you trying to play? Rugby? Football? That stupid yank game that they call football? What you've ended up with is murder ball with sharp studs. It's the most incomprehensible game I've ever watched. Who thought up the rules? I bet it was a comity, I'm also willing to bet they were very very drunk. Mind you cricket is no better. I'm a huge cricket fan. I played both at school and in the army but how do you explain it all to someone who's never seen the game let alone played it? It's also a game you can quite easily get killed playing! Not once did that stop me playing it.  

Oh I don't really mind about playing incomprehensible games, it makes the world a much more interesting place, I'm an Arab by ethnicity and we Arabs play drag the dead goat on horseback! Yes I know....believe me I know..... It's a really stupid game that's basically polo with a dead goat and no sticks but at least we all sit down to a nice meal of goat afterwards and it's a good opportunity for the youngsters of one village to meet the youngsters of another village, just so our grandkids don't have webbed feet and a very bad squint you understand. Mostly the only thing that dies is the goat and maybe the odd horse now and again but with Aussie rules all you get is injured. It's a funny old world eh?! 

I hope the ankle is on the mend with as little trouble as possible Jesse.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jesse,

I hope everything goes well with the operation.

As far as Adelaide is concerned, I would definitely try and go. I have been told by reliable sources who are not from Adelaide it is an excellent convention.

One of the guys in the BRMA is Gavin Thrum. Google his name and see his creations on you tube. The detail and quality are amazing.

You will recognise some of the operators on the video as well.

I believe he puts a layout together in two years and will have a new one for the convention.

Rest assured, at present I won't be able to attend the convention due to it being the same weekend as a wedding I will be attending. The only I have been invited to for the last 15 years or so and it on the same weekend.

All the best

Rodney

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, RodneyV said:

Rest assured, at present I won't be able to attend the convention due to it being the same weekend as a wedding I will be attending. The only I have been invited to for the last 15 years or so and it on the same weekend.

Anything to get out of the State Reps' meeting.

Jesse rest up, give it all time to heal. Now's the time to catch up on all the reading  RMWeb for the skills and information to get the trains right.  YouTube and NYMR with LNER trains running in the back ground! 

All you need is some one to drop off the full magazine collection of the past 40 years... did you ever get a set of MRJ? Some of the reading in that can be very absorbing even if you don't want to look at the wider gauges. 

Edited by DougN
Apple non predictive text.

1 hour ago, DougN said:

Jesse rest up, give it all time to heal. Now's the time to catch up on all the reading  RMWeb for the skills and information to get the trains right.  YouTube and NYMR with LNER trains running in the back ground! 

All you need is some one to drop off the full magazine collection of the past 40 years... did you ever get a set of MRJ? Some of the reading in that can be very absorbing even if you don't want to look at the wider gauges. 

I know, I’m just bored sh*tless....I’ve been getting the MRJ for over a year now, but all the mags are in my train room which is about 100 metres away....I think I’ll be telling dad to walk over with me and bring some stuff for me to read! 

unless John drops of his entire collection....

• Funny 1

On 06/11/2019 at 00:30, lezz01 said:

Oh yes that's a great idea. I mean rugby is such a nice safe non-contact sport isn't it?! I still have trouble with the knee I messed up playing rugby at school in 1975! The real problem is your idea of "football" is very different to the rest of world's. I mean really? What are you trying to play? Rugby? Football? That stupid yank game that they call football? What you've ended up with is murder ball with sharp studs. It's the most incomprehensible game I've ever watched. Who thought up the rules? I bet it was a comity, I'm also willing to bet they were very very drunk. Mind you cricket is no better. I'm a huge cricket fan. I played both at school and in the army but how do you explain it all to someone who's never seen the game let alone played it? It's also a game you can quite easily get killed playing! Not once did that stop me playing it.  

Oh I don't really mind about playing incomprehensible games, it makes the world a much more interesting place, I'm an Arab by ethnicity and we Arabs play drag the dead goat on horseback! Yes I know....believe me I know..... It's a really stupid game that's basically polo with a dead goat and no sticks but at least we all sit down to a nice meal of goat afterwards and it's a good opportunity for the youngsters of one village to meet the youngsters of another village, just so our grandkids don't have webbed feet and a very bad squint you understand. Mostly the only thing that dies is the goat and maybe the odd horse now and again but with Aussie rules all you get is injured. It's a funny old world eh?! 

I hope the ankle is on the mend with as little trouble as possible Jesse.

Regards Lez.    

Wait the game that’s in Rambo 3? 

That’s an actual game? Or are you pulling my leg? 

I wasn’t playing AFL, NRL or soccer, I was playing oztag.....you basically pull tags of the opponents shorts as a “tackle” non contact sport, very fast paced, have to have agility over Brutness. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/11/2019 at 19:55, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

For one you'll be able to see a lot of 4mm scale kit built LNER stock like you see on Grantham and that you are now building, on my layout.

Also you can see and have a go at operating a new LNER exhibition layout currently being built by Gavin Thrum, which will be finished in time for the convention and will be exhibited on the Friday evening and during the Saturday at the Convention. Its based on Spilsby in Lincolnshire. I'm providing the stock - I've currently been teaching myself how to line with bow pen and another lining pen. Have done a C12 and almost finished a D2. 

Hope you can come.

Andrew

I have indeed heard of Gavin, he’s building a GNR terminus at the moment isn’t he? Without a fiddleyard though.....

• Agree 1

Had an eventful day, out of bed, in the backyard doing some modelling with my little helper Matilda (my staffy). 

Re wheeled some LMS wagons from P4 or EM gauge to my gauge of 00 and built not one but two white metal kits. First was a lowmac I picked up for a bargain and a D&S  GE cattle wagon I was handed as a gift. The cattle wagon still needs a roof and some brass wires added, will have to wait till a trip to the local model shop. 

AA008D87-D5AE-46FA-A00F-51A840FD8AF4.jpeg

• Like 9