Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Don’t make me start on you too :laugh_mini:

Oh all right then.

Congratulations on getting to 1000 posts by the way. Treat yourself to a beer...

• Like 3

Hello,

I don't drink beer or lager any more since I became sophisticated when I reached my sixties. I stick to the wines of Australia now. No gas and one bottle is usually enough according to SWMBO.

Yellow Tail is my preferred tipple nowadays and it saves on a lot of "P'ing". Like the modelling as well. My long term version of a local station (yet to be built) is undergoing changes with Templot at the moment.It is a long ongoing saga.

I really must make a start this year and actually "Do Something"

trustytrev.;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Oh all right then.

Congratulations on getting to 1000 posts by the way. Treat yourself to a beer...

I had a few today while working, be rude not to 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard i said:

If you really want to celebrate cheaply then home distilled moonshine is the way to go and one glass, let alone one bottle is definitely enough. 
Richard

Just make sure you don’t pass wind next to an open flame 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

The revised fiddleyard entrance is now all wired up. Now for some testing before I can move on to adding the new back scene, landscape and ballast. Overall I’m happy with the outcome, everything flows through the point work now and I’ve only lost about 400mm of scenic track. As the back scene will curve, the eye is tricked into believe the scenic section is longer. 

B001A9A3-1189-4FA5-9C90-C262950423F8.jpeg.62f117fbaf344adaca18b67eb054e7c4.jpeg

Looking from the scenic break, you can clearly see how it flows now. Four kick back sidings are now through lines and I now actually have a spare line in the down lines. Probably for the Coronation once I get around to building that. The back scene will come across where it says 420x77, cross the main line and then curve down to inline with control panel- more on that when I have the plywood in place, hopefully on the weekend. 

FF555233-D6AA-4E04-AB09-8BCA399F55A9.jpeg.06db041494b269e6397bbbb0603cc6e2.jpeg

Looking the opposite way, you get the gist. 

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

The revised fiddleyard entrance is now all wired up. Now for some testing before I can move on to adding the new back scene, landscape and ballast. Overall I’m happy with the outcome, everything flows through the point work now and I’ve only lost about 400mm of scenic track. As the back scene will curve, the eye is tricked into believe the scenic section is longer. 

B001A9A3-1189-4FA5-9C90-C262950423F8.jpeg.62f117fbaf344adaca18b67eb054e7c4.jpeg

Looking from the scenic break, you can clearly see how it flows now. Four kick back sidings are now through lines and I now actually have a spare line in the down lines. Probably for the Coronation once I get around to building that. The back scene will come across where it says 420x77, cross the main line and then curve down to inline with control panel- more on that when I have the plywood in place, hopefully on the weekend. 

FF555233-D6AA-4E04-AB09-8BCA399F55A9.jpeg.06db041494b269e6397bbbb0603cc6e2.jpeg

Looking the opposite way, you get the gist. 

Looks good. Didn't you already have a Coronation set? I seem to recall seeing one in pictures of your layout some time back.

19 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Looks good. Didn't you already have a Coronation set? I seem to recall seeing one in pictures of your layout some time back.

It was a Golden Age set, saved up for it, but then times were tough and 3 grand sounded bloody good at the time. Dont regret selling it, least now I’ll have a Coronation set that I’ve built. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I do like the look of all that flowing track work, but we will have to have a stern discussion about your beer choices one day Jesse, perhaps over a schooner or 3.

Also discovered your YouTube channel, so another subscription coming your way.

cheers

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

37 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

I do like the look of all that flowing track work, but we will have to have a stern discussion about your beer choices one day Jesse, perhaps over a schooner or 3.

Also discovered your YouTube channel, so another subscription coming your way.

cheers

Tony

Thanks mate, it looks so much better. 

Only 3? Clearly you don’t know me 

• Funny 2

On 09/04/2020 at 13:43, Jesse Sim said:

My order from DJH arrived today, so I started on the refurbishment of a J10 I got off ebay for 50 AUD, BARGAIN! New wheels and motor and she’s ready to role, hopefully finish her off tomorrow. 

I also got some wire from the local hobby store and I’ll have a go at some handrails around the signal box, or I might sit on my backside all weekend and do b***er all. Considering it’s a long weekend I might get all of the above done! 

FEE2394E-B835-45D9-8F7D-56E130385C72.jpeg

Jesse, 

Im just about to start refurbishing my DJH J9/10 but I’m having trouble finding a motor/gearbox combination from my stash that will fit. Looks like I’m going to have to spend some money! From what you’ve said above I’m assuming that you’ve used the DJH Gb 2 box with a motor already attached. I can see the gearbox will be seen under the boiler but does the motor encroach into the cab? Couple more photos perhaps.

Thanks in anticipation,

Robert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Jesse, 

Im just about to start refurbishing my DJH J9/10 but I’m having trouble finding a motor/gearbox combination from my stash that will fit. Looks like I’m going to have to spend some money! From what you’ve said above I’m assuming that you’ve used the DJH Gb 2 box with a motor already attached. I can see the gearbox will be seen under the boiler but does the motor encroach into the cab? Couple more photos perhaps.

Thanks in anticipation,

Robert

Morning Robert, yes it’s the Gearbox combination 2, it protrudes ever so slightly, luckily enough the previous owner had already cut out the cab in order for the previous motor to fit. 

A93252A8-29BB-4309-9735-764A0511691B.jpeg.55136d77ae38ce17b9add0e42f58acb8.jpeg

I think I only had to file back the smallest bit, once I place a false floor in and a crew, it’ll hide it all very nicely. 

Hope that helps, 

Jesse 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jesse Sim said:

Morning Robert, yes it’s the Gearbox combination 2, it protrudes ever so slightly, luckily enough the previous owner had already cut out the cab in order for the previous motor to fit. 

A93252A8-29BB-4309-9735-764A0511691B.jpeg.55136d77ae38ce17b9add0e42f58acb8.jpeg

I think I only had to file back the smallest bit, once I place a false floor in and a crew, it’ll hide it all very nicely. 

Hope that helps, 

Jesse 

Thanks, just what I needed. Once crewed up it will not be noticeable.

All the best,

Robert

1 minute ago, Erichill16 said:

Here’s mine with old motor showing it’s original position. Regards, Robertimage.jpg.16ae2585c69b9d221eb0451a9770350c.jpg motor showing it’s original position.

Is that the way it was? Odd, the old motor on mine was level with the frames, no matter. I would highly recommend using the new DJH motor gearbox combination, talk to Kelly at DJH, mentioning my name will either help you or end you up sh*t creek, as I asked her various amounts of questions when I first ordered....

Are you DCC or DC? 

24 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Is that the way it was? Odd, the old motor on mine was level with the frames, no matter. I would highly recommend using the new DJH motor gearbox combination, talk to Kelly at DJH, mentioning my name will either help you or end you up sh*t creek, as I asked her various amounts of questions when I first ordered....

Are you DCC or DC? 

The angle I showed is a slight exaggeration. I model using DC. If a loco doesn’t work on D.C. I can usually see what the issue is and fix it. I can see the advantages of dcc but I’ve got quite a large collection and the cost would be prohibitive. Another good point is I don’t actually have a layout to run them on anyway!

I’ll not risk mentionIng your name if you don’t mind, I really do need the parts!
Robert

Edited by Erichill16

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

The angle I showed is a slight exaggeration. I model using DC. If a loco doesn’t work on D.C. I can usually see what the issue is and fix it. I can see the advantages of dcc but I’ve got quite a large collection and the cost would be prohibitive. Another good point is I don’t actually have a layout to run them on anyway!

I’ll not risk mentionIng your name if you don’t mind, I really do need the parts!
Robert

Oh fair, I was just going to say, you’ll need to get wheels as well and DJH have the ones got a j10. I was only kidding about using my name, they were really great help

On 11/05/2020 at 13:49, Jesse Sim said:

The new/revised scenic break is coming along nicely 

3734B1B5-E15D-4733-9E54-96B2A8BC9897.jpeg

274553DF-F6AF-4463-8C2D-BA56F24694AB.jpeg

Much better, Jesse,

The curve is really disguised and it looks far more natural.

Visible, tight, right angle curves going on-/off-scene are the killers with regard to 'realism'. 

Good work on the J10 as well!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/05/2020 at 13:49, Jesse Sim said:

The new/revised scenic break is coming along nicely 

3734B1B5-E15D-4733-9E54-96B2A8BC9897.jpeg

274553DF-F6AF-4463-8C2D-BA56F24694AB.jpeg

Morning Jesse,

That looks awesome! Would you say that having a gap between the bridge and scenic break works better than having the bridge butted up against the scenic break? I’m just wondering how to do the scenic break on Richmond, there was no overbridge anywhere near the station, and I’m wondering if I should use some

modellers licence and put an appropriate looking bridge there or just attempt to hide the hole in the scenic break with foliage or some other kind of structure?

13 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Oh fair, I was just going to say, you’ll need to get wheels as well and DJH have the ones got a j10. I was only kidding about using my name, they were really great help

Good evening(?)

Just ordered combo on website so didn’t speak to anyone! Didn’t bother with wheels, I’ll make do with what I’ve got. If when refurbished  it’s deserves a better set then I may splash out.

Enjoy the weekend,

Robert

On 15/05/2020 at 16:43, Tony Wright said:

Much better, Jesse,

The curve is really disguised and it looks far more natural.

Visible, tight, right angle curves going on-/off-scene are the killers with regard to 'realism'. 

Good work on the J10 as well!

Regards,

Tony. 

On 15/05/2020 at 16:56, Wingman Mothergoose said:

Morning Jesse,

That looks awesome! Would you say that having a gap between the bridge and scenic break works better than having the bridge butted up against the scenic break? I’m just wondering how to do the scenic break on Richmond, there was no overbridge anywhere near the station, and I’m wondering if I should use some

modellers licence and put an appropriate looking bridge there or just attempt to hide the hole in the scenic break with foliage or some other kind of structure?

Sorry for the late reply, I’d been out camping on the weekend, bit nippy, but nothing -15°c rated sleeping bags didn’t cure. Had a run in with a Kangaroo on the way in, my white car turned an awful shade of red, surprisingly the Roo jumped up and went on about it’s business, shame, could of made a good dinner...

Back to the real world and modelling, I agree that curves do spoil realism Tony, but sometimes they are necessary, but when done right they can be easily disguised, as in my case. 

I like the idea of having the back scene a little behind the bridge, as you can add some landscaping behind the bridge to give a better effect, Tony has the backscene directly behind the bridge, a photo Tony would help Chris if that’s alright? Then he can look at mine and yours to see which he prefers....I hope I’m not asking to much my good sir. 

I think a bit of modellers licence could be used to add a bridge, but it would still look natural with a small whole cut into the backscene for the trains to pass through, if there is some landscaping around the area to disguise it. It all depends on where it is on the layout. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1