Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jesse,

Have you tried using varnish to represent varnished teak?  I was playing around with some of those awful beige plasticky Hornby Railroad teak coaches a couple of years back, trying to improve their looks on a budget.  The picture below shows the effect of simply painting the bare plastic with a mix of 4-5 parts satincote mixed with 1 part of Humbrol 113 (matt leather, I think).  I was pleasantly surprised with the result.  It would probably work well over a paint job too.  Adjusting the amount of paint in the mix  will change the tone, as these two coaches show.  They could do with the underframes painting though... and a gentle weathering.  another job for the round-to-it pile!

Phil

IMG_3775.jpg.de3443c89135f43e2a8f49310f5f0555.jpg

Edited by Chamby
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all, totally missed those comments, regarding the teak effect; I’ve stripped the ECJS brake and have started again, haven’t done anything else but an orange/yellow base coat. I always bring paints back with me from the UK, I just chuck them in my luggage, never had a problem so far. Although one time I did get stopped was when I had a lump of coal with me from Beamish. 

“ah sir, please open your bag, what’s that in the plastic bag”

”it’s a lump of coal”

”why do you have a lump of coal in your bag?”

”I’m a railway enthu-“

”yeah your right mate on your way” 

Must happen a lot :haha:

On another note, considering I stop and start projects, I’ve started on the Nucast J6 I got from Warley for 90 quid. 

After ordering the wrong motor from DJH, I decided to still crack on with it and just install the motor in a few weeks. It’s proving toublesome, but it is only my second loco kit and I’m honestly happy with the way it’s coming along.

50C93C47-6D5A-4FD1-9F81-B02F5A6BEB1B.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Jesse

Save money..by a High Level Kit gearbox and a motor. You could put them together easily and you can choose where it will fit and the gearboc ratio. Ask Jonathan to see if he ising this combination in his J6.

Baz

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Jesse

Save money..by a High Level Kit gearbox and a motor. You could put them together easily and you can choose where it will fit and the gearboc ratio. Ask Jonathan to see if he ising this combination in his J6.

Baz

I’m really happy with the DJH motors Baz, easy to put in, it’s already done and they work really really well, the one in my J10 runs like an A4 

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Sorry all, totally missed those comments, regarding the teak effect; I’ve stripped the ECJS brake and have started again, haven’t done anything else but an orange/yellow base coat. I always bring paints back with me from the UK, I just chuck them in my luggage, never had a problem so far. Although one time I did get stopped was when I had a lump of coal with me from Beamish. 

“ah sir, please open your bag, what’s that in the plastic bag”

”it’s a lump of coal”

”why do you have a lump of coal in your bag?”

”I’m a railway enthu-“

”yeah your right mate on your way” 

Must happen a lot :haha:

On another note, considering I stop and start projects, I’ve started on the Nucast J6 I got from Warley for 90 quid. 

After ordering the wrong motor from DJH, I decided to still crack on with it and just install the motor in a few weeks. It’s proving toublesome, but it is only my second loco kit and I’m honestly happy with the way it’s coming along.

50C93C47-6D5A-4FD1-9F81-B02F5A6BEB1B.jpeg

Splendid progress Jesse,

Well done.

The phone calls are proving to be useful, and most-entertaining.

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. I assume the staining on the wooden batten is blood? Otherwise you'll never be a 'proper' modeller! 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Splendid progress Jesse,

Well done.

The phone calls are proving to be useful, and most-entertaining.

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. I assume the staining on the wooden batten is blood? Otherwise you'll never be a 'proper' modeller! 

Thank you kind sir, hope that email wasn’t too abrupt.

Indeed they are, 2 minutes of work and 25 minutes of complete hogwash about sums up our phone calls. 

Yes it is blood, there’s plenty of it all over the layout actually, literally blood, sweat and tears. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

I’m really happy with the DJH motors Baz, easy to put in, it’s already done and they work really really well, the one in my J10 runs like an A4 

Gears are from high level and I think he still has Mashimas available..but as a package the DJh ones are more expensive and less 3asy to hide.

Time you branched out into the rest of the world mate!

Baz

See the Eels are doing well. Is that because their first game was poor??

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Gears are from high level and I think he still has Mashimas available..but as a package the DJh ones are more expensive and less 3asy to hide.

Baz

But if ones happy, why change? 

Our first game was good, first time we have won 4 in a row since 1989 and we won the grand final that year. We went 5 off the bat, lost last week to Roosters, good game but. We’re on the top of the ladder. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Are you keeping the kit tender or replacing it in due course?   That one would go behind a GN O2.  

There's a bit of a height discrepancy between loco and tender - is the tender not sitting down on the frames properly?

I'm itching for the chance to give mine a good test run then finish it off.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

He also has his own new motors at good prices. I was amazed when I saw DJH are charging £100 for a motor/gearbox and £28 for a motor.

You get  better looking High Level set up for around £30 or less and it doesnt show anywhere!!. DJH'sshould only be used on Pacifics and similar size Locos.

That works out three locos running for the price of one DJH version. They are easy to build as well !!

From a satified customer, no connection etc.

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Are you keeping the kit tender or replacing it in due course?   That one would go behind a GN O2.  

There's a bit of a height discrepancy between loco and tender - is the tender not sitting down on the frames properly?

I'm itching for the chance to give mine a good test run then finish it off.

I didn’t know it was the incorrect one? As soon, as the right one comes along I’ll change it.

Yeah for some reason I can’t make out why it’s sitting higher. I’ve checked and re-checked. 

2 hours ago, micklner said:

He also has his own new motors at good prices. I was amazed when I saw DJH are charging £100 for a motor/gearbox and £28 for a motor.

You get  better looking High Level set up for around £30 or less and it doesnt show anywhere!!. DJH'sshould only be used on Pacifics and similar size Locos.

That works out three locos running for the price of one DJH version. They are easy to build as well !!

From a satified customer, no connection etc.

I’ve just been invoiced £50 for an AM10 motor/gearbox, I’m happy with paying that for a good and easy to use motor, this is only my second loco kit and third motor/gearbox installation. Later on I might change it up, but I am very happy with DJH. Pay cheap you get cheap, as they say.  

From a satisfied customer. 

5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Thank you kind sir, hope that email wasn’t too abrupt.

Indeed they are, 2 minutes of work and 25 minutes of complete hogwash about sums up our phone calls. 

Yes it is blood, there’s plenty of it all over the layout actually, literally blood, sweat and tears. 

Funny I have the same sort of phone calls with Tony.

J6 is looking good Jesse, and you've spilt blood, proper modelling.

I assume the vocabulary has expanded accordingly?

Regards,

Geoff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I’ve just been invoiced £50 for an AM10 motor/gearbox, I’m happy with paying that for a good and easy to use motor, this is only my second loco kit and third motor/gearbox installation. Later on I might change it up, but I am very happy with DJH. Pay cheap you get cheap, as they say.  

From a satisfied customer. 

Well thay have quoted the wrong price, if this price list is anything to go by.

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/motors-gearboxes-oo-ho-scale/

"Pay cheap get cheap " as you call it is totally wrong in this case . I would'nt recommend cheap rubbish. Neither would the many others on here, using High Level's excellent products in their models.

Good luck getting to the DJH box to fit , without it showing somewhere under the boiler or in the cab. I look forward to the photo.

• RMweb Premium

I have a foot in both camps. I have built high level gearboxes - most recently for my SEF J6 and they are better value than DJH and it’s possible to get a better fit for a particular engine. However, the DJH approach is so easy allowing more time for other modelling which I enjoy more and find less stressful. Let’s face it, there is plenty to go wrong with a motor gearbox combo! I see it as a bit like using a Portescap rather than ‘rolling your own’ in the olden days

At £60 (the old Mashima based price) I was prepared to pay the premium for an easy life, particularly for a pacific. But the current price (over £70) makes me think twice. I’m currently using up a batch of Portescaps stripped from GWR engines (The only good part of the loco! -  bought for £25 each and sold on via ebay without their motor). When they’re finished, then I’ll have to think!

Andy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, micklner said:

Well thay have quoted the wrong price, if this price list is anything to go by.

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/motors-gearboxes-oo-ho-scale/

"Pay cheap get cheap " as you call it is totally wrong in this case . I would'nt recommend cheap rubbish. Neither would the many others on here, using High Level's excellent products in their models.

Good luck getting to the DJH box to fit , without it showing somewhere under the boiler or in the cab. I look forward to the photo.

I agree that nobody would use anything cheap on here, I just re read what I said and it did sound rude, I did not mean for it to sound that way at all, my apologies. 

I have the same motor in my J10 and the J10 is a lot smaller then the J6, I’m sure it will fit and work, even if it does show under the boiler, painting it black will hide it anyway. As this is my second loco kit, it’s no where near a professional showroom finish. 

Let me just say, I’m happy with DJH at the moment and I’m sticking to them for now, I may well look at another source. 

Do you have a link Mick for the High Level ones? 

cheers mate

jesse 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I have a foot in both camps. I have built high level gearboxes - most recently for my SEF J6 and they are better value than DJH and it’s possible to get a better fit for a particular engine. However, the DJH approach is so easy allowing more time for other modelling which I enjoy more and find less stressful. Let’s face it, there is plenty to go wrong with a motor gearbox combo! I see it as a bit like using a Portescap rather than ‘rolling your own’ in the olden days

At £60 (the old Mashima based price) I was prepared to pay the premium for an easy life, particularly for a pacific. But the current price (over £70) makes me think twice. I’m currently using up a batch of Portescaps stripped from GWR engines (The only good part of the loco! -  bought for £25 each and sold on via ebay without their motor). When they’re finished, then I’ll have to think!

Andy

I think everyone has different opinions, different methods and different suppliers they prefer. I might try the high level ones, I do need a new motor/gearbox combination for my D2, so I might look at ordering one. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, geoff west said:

Funny I have the same sort of phone calls with Tony.

J6 is looking good Jesse, and you've spilt blood, proper modelling.

I assume the vocabulary has expanded accordingly?

Regards,

Geoff.

Is it him or us Geoff? I think he’s leading us down an old git road....

Thanks, I’ll be sure to bring it along once all this stuffs blown over and we are allowed to travel. It won’t be anywhere near Tonys work, but we’ll just hide all of LB’s J6’s and run mine. 

It definitely has, should have heard the colourful words he said when I mentioned I’d started my left arm tattoo sleeve.....you can imagine. 

5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I agree that nobody would use anything cheap on here, I just re read what I said and it did sound rude, I did not mean for it to sound that way at all, my apologies. 

I have the same motor in my J10 and the J10 is a lot smaller then the J6, I’m sure it will fit and work, even if it does show under the boiler, painting it black will hide it anyway. As this is my second loco kit, it’s no where near a professional showroom finish. 

Let me just say, I’m happy with DJH at the moment and I’m sticking to them for now, I may well look at another source. 

Do you have a link Mick for the High Level ones? 

cheers mate

jesse 

No problem, we are all here to help each other.

A lot depends on what standards you set yourself with future modelling . If you use a DJH on a J6 then I presume you will use the centre axle , if so you will lose a lot of the daylight under the Boiler , yes you can a paint it Black, but it will still show . To my eyes, it would irritate me for ever more, whenever I looked at the Loco. Ok it runs fine, but that is only one good point, no more no less. Hang it off the rear axle and you lose the cab area, either way designs have moved on to avoid these problems. High Level boxes are very easy to make up, you obviously can solder joints, therefore no problem.

High Level are here

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

The owner is very helpful , and will give advice about which set ups to use on particular kits .

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Is it him or us Geoff? I think he’s leading us down an old git road....

Thanks, I’ll be sure to bring it along once all this stuffs blown over and we are allowed to travel. It won’t be anywhere near Tonys work, but we’ll just hide all of LB’s J6’s and run mine. 

It definitely has, should have heard the colourful words he said when I mentioned I’d started my left arm tattoo sleeve.....you can imagine. 

It could be us Jesse, although I didn't need Tony to lead me down an old git road, I'd found the turning myself and was already half way down before I met Tony.

Joking aside I have learned a lot from him as have you.

I can imagine only too well the colourful words down the other end of the phone.

Looking forward to seeing the J6 in action on LB when you're over next time.

Regards,

Geoff.

• RMweb Premium

Jesse

Link below.

High Level Kits Gearboxes

It takes me about 20 minutes to build a "high Flyer", the smaller ones take a little less. I welded a Chinese "flat Can" motor (cost £2) onto one following Mike Edge's advice

754229229_longmotor.JPG.8c2bfc216f74f6cb553a50bf39ada3b3.JPG

and welded onto the gearbox. (fitted to a DJH WD 2-8-0

And DJH are giving you a very healthy discount! even if you take off the VAT!

Baz

WD with high level and long motor.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Jesse

Link below.

High Level Kits Gearboxes

It takes me about 20 minutes to build a "high Flyer", the smaller ones take a little less. I welded a Chinese "flat Can" motor (cost £2) onto one following Mike Edge's advice

754229229_longmotor.JPG.8c2bfc216f74f6cb553a50bf39ada3b3.JPG

and welded onto the gearbox. (fitted to a DJH WD 2-8-0

And DJH are giving you a very healthy discount! even if you take off the VAT!

Baz

WD with high level and long motor.JPG

That looks suspiciously similar to some motors I was using to modify Nerf blasters a few years ago

Chris

• Agree 1

While on topic of motor gearbox combinations, has anyone built the Little Engines J11. I’ve got one and built it with the recommended combo but I’m not happy. Like Jessie I’ve just fitted a DJH combo to a J10 and while it runs well I’d like to keep the motor in the J11 concealed. 
Regards

Robert

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

While on topic of motor gearbox combinations, has anyone built the Little Engines J11. I’ve got one and built it with the recommended combo but I’m not happy. Like Jessie I’ve just fitted a DJH combo to a J10 and while it runs well I’d like to keep the motor in the J11 concealed. 
Regards

Robert

I have one to complete. Going to use a Mitsumi motor and a high level models gearbox. Quieter, smaller and a lot cheaper than other combinations. Look on his webpages as he gives a lot of help deciding gear ratios, size of gearbox (you can then easily  check if the gearbox chosen will fit). I think I can get it into the firebox.

I may start that after finishing some weathering and fettling some kit built DMUs . I yave finished the J11 tender. The boiler material isn't the best but it needs finishing.

Baz

• Like 1