Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Barry O said:

The single red line on black ones is ok so try a black lococ first..

Remember when we used to line LMS locos after a couple of pints in the Oak on a Wednesday night?

• Agree 1

I've been learning how to line LNER black locos with a lining pen. It's not easy. I think I've had mixed success.

I've got a Bob Moore pen and several bow pens. I think the Bob Moore pen a bit easier but not easy that's for sure. I've done 2 x C12, D11/1 and a D2 so far.

I sprayed a sheet of plastic card black for practising on and always use that each time before starting on a model. I also find that the paint needs to be a bit warm so it flows better. Supposedly you use neat paint and if it doesn't flow well add a drop or two of a certain lighter fluid to assist breaking surface tension. Various 'experts' offer a range of advice in their books but some is contradictory e.g. matt or gloss paint?

So far I've used HMRS double red lining off the LNER sheet for the boiler bands and the pens for the remainder. Curves like D2 splashers and cab front are the hardest areas I think. I've not tried lining circular spectacles.

I find the easiest LNER locos to line are green ones for which I use HMRS transfers for most of the black and white lining. The single red lines on the sheet for black areas are very difficult because they are so thin.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typos
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I did this years ago

1923203652_NERClassA1346(1280x521).jpg.d3df5d0bf2a59512bab64ba0baeec469.jpg

A mix of HMRS and hand lining.. you need a steady hand.. a pint of beer (NOT a big glass though Jesse!) before you start or a glass of wine 

I have also started to use Tamiya Acrylic for straight line lining - if works well but may be problematical in Summer in Oz as it dries quickly. (no problems here in Leeds at the moment.. late August and it is 17 C...

Baz

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, DougN said:

Baz what are you saying it's only 17 today here in Melbourne! ... oh that's right we're at the end of winter!

Ha ha 20 here and 25 forecast for Sunday.

I hate winter.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DougN said:

Tell me about it... i hate being cold. Give me 35 degrees... down to 28.... I will be very comfortable. 

Why do you think i enjoyed living in Singapore so much?

• Funny 1

I can understand, living as I did in Rabaul, 31 during the day... 24 overnight... never changed... drive  you round the bend eventually. Any how I do agree Singapore  Is a great place. I need a bit of space though... so maybe not Singapore for me. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 26/08/2020 at 08:11, micklner said:

Use transfers , bowpens are not for first time efforts. Get used to running the lines first in transfers.

Try a bowpen on a scrap body first. Bob Moore pen is good when they work , mine suffers from constant blocking.

I have the same problem with mine so switched to a bow pen which works for me - I lined an LNER F5 in Br livery using this method

Paul R

• Like 1

Regarding the weather, what a day it was today......

Hit 28 in Western Sydney, aren’t we still in winter? 

So it was a glorious day to go for a ride to a pub....

188D1A4E-4150-4278-B778-A072A17CD7B3.jpeg.18e125e62aa5a6c1f6c849a5a0ed04be.jpeg

Probably shouldn’t have worn a singlet as I have another tattoo session on Tuesday for my left arm and she’s a bit burnt.....oh well.

But back to the modelling here is the K2 as of Friday. 

DA636A7A-1B55-4512-A487-B4B562E3765C.jpeg.a0ef0890c168fb072683d05333a4895a.jpeg

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

it is supposedly still summer here.. cricket was umpired yesterday with the temperature hovering round 13C. I was wearing a thermal vest, shirt, wool long sleeved jumper and a coat and it was freezing! 

Nice work on the K2 Jesse. Are the CVs sorted on the Klondyke yet?

Baz in freezing Leeds

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

it is supposedly still summer here.. cricket was umpired yesterday with the temperature hovering round 13C. I was wearing a thermal vest, shirt, wool long sleeved jumper and a coat and it was freezing! 

Nice work on the K2 Jesse. Are the CVs sorted on the Klondyke yet?

Baz in freezing Leeds

I thought 13 was warm for you lot? 

I actually watched the cricket on Saturday afternoon, I wanted to have a nap, so I turned the cricket on and boom out like a light. I hope Sir doesn’t see that....

I haven’t had a chance yet, I have nothing on this weekend, so might send John a message and some flowers and see how we go. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, gr.king said:

13 Celsius? Luxury!

When I were a lad we had to...........

On that note of “When I were a lad we had to.....”

The classic one my Grandfather told me was walking to school barefoot so he wouldn’t ruin his school shoes.... back in the 40s mind. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

On that note of “When I were a lad we had to.....”

The classic one my Grandfather told me was walking to school barefoot so he wouldn’t ruin his school shoes.... back in the 40s mind. 

Did he, like my Grandad, have a bath once a week whether he needed it or not?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Did he, like my Grandad, have a bath once a week whether he needed it or not?

I’m not sure about that, but possibly. He had some good stories but, more accidents then anyone. He was the first Refrigerated Egg Transport in NSW, his whole life was around trucks and he couldn’t drive for sh*t. 

One story was he parked the truck up at a shed, went inside to count the trolleys of eggs, came back out to open the truck and the truck wasn’t there. He didn’t put the handbrake on and it rolled across parramatta road and another 200 meters into a paddock......lucky it was the 70s and 2am.....

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

lucky it was the 70s and 2am.....

Still happens today.   Couple of weeks ago I was walking to work when the builder's van I'd just passed over took me, crossed the road at a shallow angle and ran into a lamppost. 

No sign of a driver.... in fact, I went and alerted the peopel whose drive it had been parked across and there was no sign of him there either.  I haven't found out where he/she had gone yet.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Still happens today.   Couple of weeks ago I was walking to work when the builder's van I'd just passed over took me, crossed the road at a shallow angle and ran into a lamppost. 

No sign of a driver.... in fact, I went and alerted the peopel whose drive it had been parked across and there was no sign of him there either.  I haven't found out where he/she had gone yet.

That’s an odd one, maybe the van was being stolen? 

Today was operation paint Bachmann wagon roofs an appropriate colour. 

0004257B-B960-420B-9EE1-5C1B2849D32A.jpeg.f4c1a8f8ba00e5cc6d9bf3de68f5a75d.jpeg

I’ve pulled all the stock off the layout, as I do this every few months to give everything a good clean and change the formations on the trains. 

Ive decided on finally separating  the fish and perishables to two different trains, which of course was prototypical, I just didn’t have enough stock. Now I’ve placed an order for over a dozen kits to create the appropriate trains. Which will feature here in the future. 

30A2F786-B5FD-4CC0-94F0-89B2143DBFE0.jpeg.876dbc6deda31d42ae376d0d64136e3f.jpeg

Here’s the wagons some full painted others need a second coat, posing with the almost finished K2. 

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

New (old) cupboards installed above the fiddleyard and workbench. Let’s see how long it stays this organised. The two middle doors hold over a dozen kits, don’t they just accumulate, must get cracking.

I also now own two soldering irons, does that mean I’ve Levelled up in kit building?

6EEA8224-31C3-4339-85BA-E239EC694020.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Way too organised there Jesse. you'll be building kits like crazy. Can I make a suggestion though. If you do start a kit but cant finish it for waiting for parts, hit a hard bit, lost interest. Place all the parts back in the box or use take- away containers to keep all the bits together so as to be able to know they are all together and you can come back to finish things in time! (Ok dont ask me how I came up with this but it is a way to organise the production and modelling. In fact I have found it more enjoyable to look in a box see a list of outstanding items or fill them in once a order arrives at the front door. It also makes bulk ordering from suppliers easier. Ie all the castings from Wizard models turns up for 5 different projects! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DougN said:

Way too organised there Jesse. you'll be building kits like crazy. Can I make a suggestion though. If you do start a kit but cant finish it for waiting for parts, hit a hard bit, lost interest. Place all the parts back in the box or use take- away containers to keep all the bits together so as to be able to know they are all together and you can come back to finish things in time! (Ok dont ask me how I came up with this but it is a way to organise the production and modelling. In fact I have found it more enjoyable to look in a box see a list of outstanding items or fill them in once a order arrives at the front door. It also makes bulk ordering from suppliers easier. Ie all the castings from Wizard models turns up for 5 different projects! 

No no no no, that’s not how I roll, I start a kit, lose bits, find them again, put them in a safe place and then lose them again

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, DougN said:

Yeah been doing that for years... until the take away container.... I have been completing more since changing it up... give it a try and see how you go finishing things. 

The takeaway containers take up more room. If it’s a loco kit, I’ll put it back in the box until finished, a wagon kit it’s normally built in an hour so it doesn’t go back in its wrapping. The DS kits go on a shelf and the parts back in the original box. I now have a dedicated cupboard for all kits so that should make it even easier 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1