Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Don't do yourself down.   That said, I think the teak on that Milk Brake is the best i've ever managed.

In all Honesty, I think painting the teak and getting the strapping on the tanks is what will get me. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Love the Isinglass kit champ. Must get one ordered. I take it was repurposed to parcels around the end of steam?

Yes Dylan, lasted until mid 60’s.  Here’s one in that guise as of just now (hope that’s ok to post in your thread Jesse)

BE5A2D72-9475-45C6-B0FF-D72ECBBF5860.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Yes Dylan, lasted until mid 60’s.  Here’s one in that guise as of just now (hope that’s ok to post in your thread Jesse)

BE5A2D72-9475-45C6-B0FF-D72ECBBF5860.jpeg

Not at all Tony, she’s a beaut. 

I know on Jonathan’s it has wire across the windows, obviously to show bars perhaps? Were they removed in BR? 

or maybe JW has mucked it up, I’m just unsure if I put some in on mine

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

In a traditional way, I start another project or two before finishing the countless ones sitting above me. 

I finally got an Isinglass kit, a GN milk brake, this will go with three kit bashed milk tanks to make a working that Jonathan Wealleans has built. Thanks JW for the help with the milk tanks, I’m halfway through one at the moment. 

64973408-6F0B-45B6-A428-1216855452ED.jpeg.c13d6c50e2e162645edfeb09feb66a4a.jpeg

I also started on DS GC meat/perishables wagon, got this off eBay for a decent price. Bit fiddley but I’m slowly getting used to brass kits. 

Both need painting, then the roofs can be glued on. As well as much more detail such as handrails. 

Love the Milk brake. I’m also building one tab the moment. You’ve made a neat job of the side to end join. Can you say anything about how you did it as mine stuck out a lot further initially.

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Love the Milk brake. I’m also building one tab the moment. You’ve made a neat job of the side to end join. Can you say anything about how you did it as mine stuck out a lot further initially.

I did see yours, I think everyone must have ordered one at the same time! 

Well to be honest, this is the good side...... the other side will need a bit of filler. There was no trickery or Magic I just glued it together. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Did they have the bars in BR days?  The photo I was going off didn’t seem to have them externally (photo via the Steve Banks site from the Hugh Longsworth book)

0E8246E3-217A-429D-B5E5-8A667106A954.jpeg

If you weathered the windows like that it wouldn't matter if the bars were there or not...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

If you weathered the windows like that it wouldn't matter if the bars were there or not...

That's the plan now John, as the other pics I've seen the windows aren't see through either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Did they have the bars in BR days?  The photo I was going off didn’t seem to have them externally (photo via the Steve Banks site from the Hugh Longsworth book)

0E8246E3-217A-429D-B5E5-8A667106A954.jpeg

Please don’t think I was accusing you of laziness, I was just generally asking :) 

To be fair I might just weather the windows too, but Jonathan might cane me and give me lines to write out. 

• Like 2

On 05/10/2020 at 18:42, Jesse Sim said:

I finally got an Isinglass kit, a GN milk brake, this will go with three kit bashed milk tanks to make a working that Jonathan Wealleans has built. . 

64973408-6F0B-45B6-A428-1216855452ED.jpeg.c13d6c50e2e162645edfeb09feb66a4a.jpeg

Jesse

Interesting to see the Isinglass Dia 310 Milk Brake. A comment or two if I may. From what I can see the ends are glued onto the ends of the sides, which seems to be the isinglass way. It looks to me that the roof is rather wide. So I'm wondering what the overall length of the body is as built and whether there is a possibility it could be built by inserting the ends between the sides?

The use of what look like MJT bogies should give a nice ride. I built the D&S kit of one of these back in about 2004.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

Interesting to see the Isinglass Dia 310 Milk Brake. A comment or two if I may. From what I can see the ends are glued onto the ends of the sides, which seems to be the isinglass way. It looks to me that the roof is rather wide. So I'm wondering what the overall length of the body is as built and whether there is a possibility it could be built by inserting the ends between the sides?

The use of what look like MJT bogies should give a nice ride. I built the D&S kit of one of these back in about 2004.

Andrew

Andrew,

I discussed this with Andy Edgson at Isinglass before building mine and he warned me off on the basis of structural integrity and lengths and widths. I did as he said but regret it now as it would have been possible. The length of the sides without the end  is more or less correct (within 1mm). There is a fair old discussion of the pros and cons of doing so on my workbench thread.

Andy

12 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

Andrew

Yeah it must be the Isinglass way of kits, I think with a bit of filler and paint you won’t notice it that much.

They are MJT bogies, with a good hand flick it rolled along, almost doing a complete circle of the layout. I think they were the best bogies I’ve built! 

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andrew,

I discussed this with Andy Edgson at Isinglass before building mine and he warned me off on the basis of structural integrity and lengths and widths. I did as he said but regret it now as it would have been possible. The length of the sides without the end  is more or less correct (within 1mm). There is a fair old discussion of the pros and cons of doing so on my workbench thread.

Andy

I think it could be done, but I the material is very very brittle, I think it would cause more damage filling it back. 

Thanks Andy (thegreenhoward) for your comments above re Isinglass and Andy Edgson. I've also had a quite a bit of dialogue with Andy E by email and he made changes to the sides of the GN Dia 164F CK to incorporate the toplight ventilator frames and to improve the thickness of the sides of the droplights and sent me replacement sides, also for my Dia 78T Buffet Car which had flaws in the ends of the prints of the sides.

One question for you did you find that the corridor sides of the Dia 78V Buffet had kinks in the tops of the sides looking down on them vertically, mine did to some extent and these were much worse on the Dia 164F CK?

I have in fact spent a lot of this evening (here in Oz) reading your thread, particularly the discussion on Isinglass kits. I have the same view as you that he is to be applauded and we should work with him. Its understandable that he hasn't got the knowledge his Dad had who did the drawings. 

I actually started a thread on the Isinglass coach kits on the LNER Model Railway forum (https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13659) but haven't posted anything recently because I've been distracted on other projects including building MSE GN somersault signals for an exhibition layout built by a friend here in South Australia (see p2037 I think it is of Wright Writes - but you've probably seen that).

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to being very perplexed by all this discussion about Isinglass.  During the recent Virtual ScaleForum I caught up with Andy via Zoom and he was very helpful and is looking to improve the kits as much as he can.  I think instead of criticizing all the faults we should be thankful that he is producing these to the best of his ability.  We should therefore be working with him to improve them but we all, him included, need to understand working within the 3D resin medium.  I had looked for ages for a D&S Milk Brake it on eBay, because trying to get one from Danny while being out here in Oz was just too hard.  I’m therefore very thankful to have one of these kits to put together and it really looks the part on the head end of a Donny stopper as in a pic I have so I can now match a prototype pic very closely.  Yes it doesn’t have internal bars on the windows, yes it has ends that are too thick, yes it has 3D printed bogies rather than MJT ones, but hey, I’ve got a resemblance of a Dia 310 Milk Brake at the front of a local service which allows me to represent a working through Wakefield Westgate and I’ve got Andy at Isinglass to thank for that.

Edited by trw1089
Hit post too soon
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

As I said in my post above we should applaud Andy Edgson for what he's doing and its clear to me he's doing his best and is happy for us to work with him.

I hope to find time to build one of his coaches I have by the end of the year.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Agree 3