Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

In the words of Mathew Mcconaughey, Alright, Alright, Alright. 

Scenic has been underway, slowly, but underway. 

Started on the cutting that runs along the road way on the west end of Brighton Junction, opted for the newspaper, with cardboard forms and plaster bandage. Ill be trying out many different techniques along the way, next is chicken wire. 

post-25906-0-69082400-1525071842_thumb.jpg

The plasticard strip is for a small dirt track that leads down to the trackbed for the maintenance gangs to utilise. 

post-25906-0-46005600-1525071870_thumb.jpg

Here it is with the first couple of layers of plaster bandage down, I'll let that dry and then go along tomorrow and fix/add to any areas. 

post-25906-0-85595400-1525071905_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-90603800-1525071945_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the access road that I mentioned before. 

post-25906-0-26762700-1525071973_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

More scenery on Sunday, parents went for a ride, so I stayed home and worked on the layout with no interruptions. 

I spent the first few hours cutting timber to make the form work that runs around the edge of the board, as you can see on the left and the far side of the second picture. This enables the stapling of the chicken wire and it looks much more presentable. 

Looking towards the south end scenic break. 

post-25906-0-97279500-1525664371_thumb.jpg

completed between the road and edge of the board. 

post-25906-0-82820700-1525664328_thumb.jpg

Around 2pm my mate Alex came round and helped me with the plaster. 

post-25906-0-90355100-1525664439_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-27223900-1525664551_thumb.jpg

While he carried on with that I started working out and measuring where to put the Workers Cottages and the form work for the chicken wire, more still needs to be added. 

post-25906-0-73712300-1525664733_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-91637400-1525664471_thumb.jpg

I then plastered up the gap between the private over head line and the back scene. Underneath this are three storage lines that I brought through the backscene to give an extra coach length, I made a small box up first to go on top, then used silicone to seal it in case of water/plaster drip. I then added the chicken wire and started to place the plaster over the wire,I think it turned out rather god I think. Still need to do the side closest to the camera. 

post-25906-0-26819000-1525664810_thumb.jpg

Here is what you will see from the front.

post-25906-0-38932200-1525664850_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Well I hope Jesse and everyone else is wrapped up snug as a bug in a rug as the beast from the south is supposed to hit today.... No rain for the last couple of months here in Melbourne and with that we are to have a months rain between now and the weekend....

Umm I wonder if I will be stuck at home doing some modelling rather than going to work!  :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

*Back In Black starts playing*

Morning all, haven't updated much on RMWEB, the dog ate my work, wait no that only worked at school! Haven't really done much, just been tinkering here and there, mostly scenery work. However, yesterday I finally got one of Tony Wrights photos blown up. When I visited last Tony took a couple of photos of my A4, 'Commonwealth of Australia', running on LB, I decided on the one pictured and had it blown up, looks bloody marvelous when you walk in. 

post-25906-0-19570100-1526937688_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-68869600-1526937991_thumb.jpg

Modelling has been slow, mostly scenery work. On the weekend I sat around and had a few beers with my mates and we decided to do some timber work, getting the timber form cut and screwed in place. This piece of timber was bent by wetting it, an old trick I learnt from the old days of building jumps for our bmx bikes, this gave a nice curve that follows the baseboards. It's the outside form for the chicken wire in order to hold it all together to create the raised scenery. 

post-25906-0-12994200-1526938029_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-53238200-1526938320_thumb.jpg

Last night I got the soldering iron out, not for the D&S kits, they are being kept for a rainy day, I decided to tackle the MJT Gresley bogie. I wanted to create a set of articulated stock, which was a prominent feature of the LNER, using the Hornby Gresley Suburban stock, which I think turned out rather well. 

post-25906-0-57159400-1526938445_thumb.jpg

Here is a C1 on a Grantham-Nottingham stopping passenger, clearly showing the articulated stock. 

post-25906-0-32108400-1526938395_thumb.jpg

She now only needs a coat of paint. 

Jesse 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all for the no updates, I copped a very bad case of man flu. 

Going to get back into it this week starting off with the redoing of one of the hills and the starting of the scenic work at the Peasecliffe tunnel entrances. 

Small update this morning, fiddled around with my representation of Peasecliffe Tunnel yesterday afternoon and come up with this conclusion. As my layout comes rather close to the right hand side of the edge of the board I cannot run the grass hill up without having a rather odd looking mound, therefore I have gone with brick wing walls on either side. This allows the land to then be filled upwards allowing a smoother finish. This is only a mock up, I'll cut some timber to the shape and glue the Metcalfe brick cardboard/paper to the timber, then its more timber forms, chicken wire and plaster bandage. 

I have also cut the cardboard/paper brick sheet so it sits snug in with the resin tunnel mouth. Not sure if the picture does it justic, but you may see the cuts I've made. 

post-25906-0-82766900-1528159281_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-69104700-1528159423_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-37370500-1528159450_thumb.jpg

Cheers 

Jesse 

• Like 10

Australia yesterday afternoon felt quite British; gloomy, grey, overcast, rainy, a beautiful day to do some modelling. So after the usual cup of coffee with my friends at Woodpecker Model Railways, I ducked home with shopping list completed and got stuck in to it. I applied the second coat of paint to the resin tunnel mouth, glued the wing wall cardboard/paper cut outs to the already cut 7mm plywood and whilst everything dried I tidied up a little. 

Here are the results after gluing everything in place, only thing left to do is a bit of weathering and add the cap stones to the wing walls. 

For a bit of reference I placed my A2 on the down main, facing the wrong way....DOH! 

post-25906-0-01521800-1528245168_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-93565200-1528245636_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all wondering if I could get some help, I will be starting on ballasting very quickly, I know and have an idea for the passing loops and sidings, but I am stuck for the main running lines. It was limestone country where BJ is situated, so a white/cream/brown colour? Any help would be appreciated.  

G'Day Folks

Ballast, hard to define, I think it was different back then (although I could be wrong) I can remember back when I was a kid (1959/60) a lot of the Ballast on the Palace Gates line and around Wood Green was made up of a kind of slag, it looked like a hard, dark grey sponge, with a bit of white in it, there was still a fair bit of it around when I started on the railway in 1970, but mostly in sidings and goods yards, I've looked at lots of 1930's train pics and the ballast looks very similar.  

manna

G'Day Folks

Ballast, hard to define, I think it was different back then (although I could be wrong) I can remember back when I was a kid (1959/60) a lot of the Ballast on the Palace Gates line and around Wood Green was made up of a kind of slag, it looked like a hard, dark grey sponge, with a bit of white in it, there was still a fair bit of it around when I started on the railway in 1970, but mostly in sidings and goods yards, I've looked at lots of 1930's train pics and the ballast looks very similar.  

manna

Thanks Manna, I have had a look as well, what you have described is what U have seen.  

Cheers again

Hi all wondering if I could get some help, I will be starting on ballasting very quickly, I know and have an idea for the passing loops and sidings, but I am stuck for the main running lines. It was limestone country where BJ is situated, so a white/cream/brown colour? Any help would be appreciated.  

Don't automatically assume that ballast came from the local area. Ballast came (and indeed still does come) from source quarries that yield stone of the right sort of qualities and can be transported some distance. Apparently (according to a interestin' article what I once read), the LNER used a quarry in the north east which was quite a pale stone colour. How far that was distributed round the system I don't know but I think it could be quite a distance. And they'd certainly use the best stuff for their prime mainline.

Note also that it was only the passenger lines that had the best ballast and was 'manicured', dependent on the enthusiasm of the local gang. All other lines would have stuff of a lesser quality, even spent ash, etc. So a contrast between the two ECML prime running lines and the others would be something to consider.

Of course, all ballast soon weathers and acquires a patina of dirt, oil etc so I guess it depends what exactly you want to depict. Study of pictures is always the best bet but, having said that, pre-war colour pictures are few and far between!

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

I've found a pic I wanted to post, it was taken in 1937 (as stated on the pic) you'll notice the poor ballast on the mainline only 5 miles from KX.

manna

post-19471-0-17215900-1528921968_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

*Back In Black starts playing*

Morning all, haven't updated much on RMWEB, the dog ate my work, wait no that only worked at school! Haven't really done much, just been tinkering here and there, mostly scenery work. However, yesterday I finally got one of Tony Wrights photos blown up. When I visited last Tony took a couple of photos of my A4, 'Commonwealth of Australia', running on LB, I decided on the one pictured and had it blown up, looks bloody marvelous when you walk in. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1366.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1365.JPG

Modelling has been slow, mostly scenery work. On the weekend I sat around and had a few beers with my mates and we decided to do some timber work, getting the timber form cut and screwed in place. This piece of timber was bent by wetting it, an old trick I learnt from the old days of building jumps for our bmx bikes, this gave a nice curve that follows the baseboards. It's the outside form for the chicken wire in order to hold it all together to create the raised scenery. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1364.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1363.JPG

Last night I got the soldering iron out, not for the D&S kits, they are being kept for a rainy day, I decided to tackle the MJT Gresley bogie. I wanted to create a set of articulated stock, which was a prominent feature of the LNER, using the Hornby Gresley Suburban stock, which I think turned out rather well. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1371.JPG

Here is a C1 on a Grantham-Nottingham stopping passenger, clearly showing the articulated stock. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1370.JPG

She now only needs a coat of paint. 

Jesse 

That artic set is a very tidy job!

Respect!!

I am in envy of your Raven A2. I've had a punt for a couple on EBay with no success.

Mind you, considering I model Manchester '40's to present day on the old L&Y!! It will be a 'Daft' purchase of an engine I find, despite its failings, great!!

Chris.

• Like 1

Don't automatically assume that ballast came from the local area. Ballast came (and indeed still does come) from source quarries that yield stone of the right sort of qualities and can be transported some distance. Apparently (according to a interestin' article what I once read), the LNER used a quarry in the north east which was quite a pale stone colour. How far that was distributed round the system I don't know but I think it could be quite a distance. And they'd certainly use the best stuff for their prime mainline.

Note also that it was only the passenger lines that had the best ballast and was 'manicured', dependent on the enthusiasm of the local gang. All other lines would have stuff of a lesser quality, even spent ash, etc. So a contrast between the two ECML prime running lines and the others would be something to consider.

Of course, all ballast soon weathers and acquires a patina of dirt, oil etc so I guess it depends what exactly you want to depict. Study of pictures is always the best bet but, having said that, pre-war colour pictures are few and far between!

I was thinking for the mainline running lines of a pale stone colour with a mix of dark/grey, which seems to be the norm in some photos, more of the dark grey and ash for the secondary lines and ash for the 2 sidings. I don't want to buy a bag here and a bag there, I want to buy in bulk and mix it all up at once so it doesn't come out patchy. 

Due to Brighton Junction, in my world, not being used as much, the secondary lines will be almost in a run down state, as the history of my world goes, she was torn up by the time the 50s came along. 

I'll have to kidnap Baz and bring him back after my trip. 

That artic set is a very tidy job!

Respect!!

I am in envy of your Raven A2. I've had a punt for a couple on EBay with no success.

Mind you, considering I model Manchester '40's to present day on the old L&Y!! It will be a 'Daft' purchase of an engine I find, despite its failings, great!!

Chris.

Thanks mate,

yeah, she turned out alright, got a couple more to go. 

That was a snag, got it from a deceased estate that Tony was looking after, excellently built. Unfortunately, she was and still is a bit of a pain to get running well, ever since I made her DCC, however, she is slowly getting there. 

Fiddled yet again with the DS kit, Jonathan has been wonderful help with putting up with my constant facebook messages. "Is this right?", "I'm stuck on number 5", "How do I do this?", ever so thankful JW. 

She's starting to look like a proper van now!!!! 

post-25906-0-14516800-1528935967_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking for the mainline running lines of a pale stone colour with a mix of dark/grey, which seems to be the norm in some photos, more of the dark grey and ash for the secondary lines and ash for the 2 sidings. I don't want to buy a bag here and a bag there, I want to buy in bulk and mix it all up at once so it doesn't come out patchy. 

Due to Brighton Junction, in my world, not being used as much, the secondary lines will be almost in a run down state, as the history of my world goes, she was torn up by the time the 50s came along. 

I'll have to kidnap Baz and bring him back after my trip. 

I believe that a date in 2020 will be a good time to enlist Baz's services...

• 2 weeks later...

GNR signal box underway, interior needs building and painting then I put the roof on and paint her up. 

Nice little laser cut kit, simple, easy to put together and only 20$, AUD that is. 

What were the paint schemes for the LNER?

I know signs were blue, but station canopy's were green and cream? Not sure for other buildings though. 

post-25906-0-86671400-1530228678_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

GNR signal box underway, interior needs building and painting then I put the roof on and paint her up. 

Nice little laser cut kit, simple, easy to put together and only 20$, AUD that is. 

What were the paint schemes for the LNER?

I know signs were blue, but station canopy's were green and cream? Not sure for other buildings though. 

attachicon.gifIMG_15251.JPG

Andrew in Adelaide (Woodcock29) is a good first point of contact in these parts for all matters LNER.