Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

Hi Jesse!

Great to see the trains running. The Quint set is presumably based on making best use of nearest Kirk kits; the real thing was a GNR build so there are numerous detail differences but what you have there looks to be perfectly OK for your use. :sungum:

Hey Graham,

So, if and when i make the original leeds set, what could i do with the set i have now?

ahh that's better! So the Lanarkshire models buffer stops arrived, however, due to the peco code 100 track i had to slightly modify the LNER standard buffer stops to allow them to 'fit'. I think they look rather good. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3958.JPG

Here we have a few wagons sitting in the up siding at Brighton Junction. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3957.JPG

Sorry for all the shite everywhere!

On another note, i have one more cobalt point motor to add to the scenic section, HAPPY DAYS!

Just one thing did you cut the rail before the buffer stop?. if not your going to end up with a short on that track.

Just one thing did you cut the rail before the buffer stop?. if not your going to end up with a short on that track.

I did on the first 2, then decided to experiment. I built one to start with and when paced on the track it wouldn't short out. I figured that the araldite might have been acting as an insulator. I decided to build on straight on to the track, (without cutting), but it didn't work. So i placed some thin plasticard against the buffer beams and hopefully that works. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing of interest lately. Although, I did get another tattoo last week. Seeing as everything has been wired up i began running trains. I have began to mark out where problems have arisen, the first one being the North fiddle yard entrance for the up lines. 

Here she is all ripped up, mapping out a new way to start the storage yards. The problem was a single slip and curved point that, therefore, have now gone through a much needed a divorce. 

post-25906-0-33206900-1507590636_thumb.jpg

Here is the final view with the points and track just laid down. Purchasing a few more points this afternoon to finish it off. This view allows three storage yards to move straight onto the Up ECML and two to go onto the ECML or switch across to pass over the crossing and over the down lines to go via the Nottingham lines. This will be the loaded coal train, (used for ECML or Colwick train) and goods train, (ECML or Nottingham). Then there is a short storage line to either across to the Nottingham lines and/or the ECML. The run around line, which the coronation set is on, has kick back sidings down the far end, they also allow trains to come out and go via the Nottingham or ECML lines. The far right, the two curved points, are 3 storage lines for the Lincoln services. 

post-25906-0-59713100-1507590659_thumb.jpg

And Yes, that single slip is a Grantham special that i cut and bent to match the curve in the fiddle yard! 

I feel sometimes that the Grantham team are my teachers and Tony is the principal.   :sarcastic:

• Like 6

Just to clarify something that I have had a few people message me about....

I am not copying  the layout; Grantham the streamliner years. My representation is of a fictitious length of track between Grantham and Peascliffe tunnel called '"Brighton Junction". So, although everything considering locations, train formations, etc are the same, it is a totally different layout. 

Yes the Grantham layout inspired me very much and I am glad to call the Grantham team my friends, but in no means am I copying such a magnificent layout. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the south end scenic break, a traditional Metcalfe viaduct, cut to a single arch. Nice and simple, but will look the part none the less. 

Maintenance continues in the north fiddleyard, waiting for the energy to kick myself back into gear. 

Hi Jesse,

Nice going with the point bending. And some nice weathering too - the A4 is nice and subtle.

If you've got some sort of inspiration from G-TSY then that's great (and even a little humbling) but you're clearly doing you're own thing so how anyone can think of it as 'copying'?

Re the Kirk 'Leeds' set. When surplus you could play about with the bogies and create a triplet dining set with the centre three and revert to ordinary brake coaches with the outer two?

Hi Jesse,

Nice going with the point bending. And some nice weathering too - the A4 is nice and subtle.

If you've got some sort of inspiration from G-TSY then that's great (and even a little humbling) but you're clearly doing you're own thing so how anyone can think of it as 'copying'?

Re the Kirk 'Leeds' set. When surplus you could play about with the bogies and create a triplet dining set with the centre three and revert to ordinary brake coaches with the outer two?

Thanks Graham, 

I honestly did Graham, I remember seeing it in BRM in 2014, was it? I think I have mentioned that before last time I was over. 

I believe it comes down to jealousy, same with my Holden Ute, people come and nit pick out all the faults and you ask if they have a car, the answer always no. Same with modelling, nit pick any fine detail or try and sabotage it in anyway because they are jealous of something that you have that they don't. Shame really. 

I still haven't dived into kit bashing yet, have 2 London Road Models tenders waiting for me to start on. Saving up for an Antex soldering iron at the moment. 

• Like 2

Here we have the north end fiddleyard entrance, the track gang has been in and tweaked the layout to enable smoother running. I had problems with derailments, due to the points being curved. This is all down to limited space. I have now re-worked it, everything flows lovely now. 

post-25906-0-39993600-1509488812_thumb.jpg

The lines immediately out of the back scene, from left to right: UP ECML, DOWN ECML, UP BRANCH and DOWN BRANCH with the crossover between the two to allow access for down branch trains to move into the  down main storage yards. Closest to the camera we have the three Lincoln services kick back sidings. 

post-25906-0-40016200-1509488833_thumb.jpg

We see the three fast lines, with the V2, 04 and Deltic. The two slow lines for the coal and goods train, they can be run across all lines and run onto the up branch, allowing the use of one train for both Colwick and NE collieries. 

Now to the lovely electrics side of things.  :banghead:

post-25906-0-72859600-1509489925_thumb.jpg

A of yesterday the two cobalt levers are in, after wiring them and completely frying them. 

They control the branch crossover pictured, allowing down trains to move across into the down main storage yards, and the first point on up side. 

post-25906-0-28214100-1509489945_thumb.jpg

Here we see what it will actually look like, the points are covered by the North end tunnel bores, my representation of Peasecliffe tunnel. 

post-25906-0-76339100-1509489961_thumb.jpg

Control Panel coming along nicely, you see the two Cobalt Levers to the right that operate the 3 hidden points. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have my first running session in 18 days, so need to get some stuff done. I promise there is a railway under all that mess!  :sarcastic:

post-25906-0-95727600-1510615496_thumb.jpg

Pleased to report that all scenic point motors have been completed!!!!  :declare:  :imsohappy:  :dancer:

Currently going though and checking all the track to either add pins or dropper wires, also adding and gluing sleepers with their chairs cut off. 

post-25906-0-17821200-1510615581_thumb.jpg

Almost completed this simple but effective Metcalfe kit to disguise the south end fiddle yard entrance. I shall then cut the timber for the top board that will eventually create the LMS lines, which will be unpowered. Although the LMS didn't run over the LNER lines where the fictitious area of Brighton Junction is situated, it makes for a nice scenic break. 

post-25906-0-04445400-1510615602_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Alright, so the last few weeks I've had my mate, Mitchell, helping me with some wiring. He fixes spas as a job, so kindly offered to do some soldering for me. 

Yesterday i decided to do some timber work. After three weeks straight of wiring, I thought its not a bad idea to give my brain a rest!  :sarcastic:

Another mate, Chris, let me borrow his Makita drop saw, but he offered to hang around and help, on the condition that there were a few cold beers passed around. Which I did not complain one bit. 

So we decided to tackle the very skinny entrance where you walk down the side of the layout. Here's Chris, who is a qualified chippy, (carpenter), measuring everything up. 

post-25906-0-80537000-1510793341_thumb.jpg

Voilà, nice curve, easier access for people that are not as skinny as I am! 

post-25906-0-28236000-1510793395_thumb.jpg

Next, after Mitchell arrived, we decided to start the raised section on the north end of the layout. I wanted this done in order to cover the fiddle yard sidings that come back into the scenic section. That way when i have my visitors round in a few weeks time they get the gist of what the cutting will look like, that wraps itself along the track work. Here are the boys hard at work. 

post-25906-0-40747700-1510793654_thumb.jpg

Getting them last few screws in place.

post-25906-0-09317300-1510793439_thumb.jpg

The finished product. You can just see the sidings underneath. 

post-25906-0-26183800-1510793557_thumb.jpg

After all that work, Mitch and myself hung around and did some little jobs, like a bit of wiring, placing the extra sleepers under the track and cleaning up. 

This is me by the way, if no one knows what I look like!  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:

post-25906-0-39469300-1510793482_thumb.jpg

I got a lot of sh*t back in school for having this hobby, so now, to be able to have my mates eager and interested in helping me, means a lot. It was an awesome afternoon, cant wait to have them all round for a beer and to teach them how to operate it. 

Look at that, much better! Very, very happy and proud of myself. 

post-25906-0-53393600-1510793606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 13

Jesse looks great and your now getting as messy as the rest of us! 

It is interesting that your mates are now interested in or willing to assist with your hobby. It is good. I have mates that will look and just be amazed but I try not to bore them....this includes my parents who still can't understand.... they keep having a look and saying I have done so much.... not really done much on the layout in 5 years that any one would notice! 

Drop saws are wonderful things (for strange reasons I have now ended up with 2!) it makes the tight joints so easy as you can cut down to 1/4 of a mm... it is only just the teeth taking a shave off. I purchased mine (well the first one) to do my skirtings and architraves when I extended the house. It has a heap of use over the years. 

your layout is looking great!

• Like 3

that will eventually create the LMS lines, which will be unpowered. Although the LMS didn't run over the LNER lines where the fictitious area of Brighton Junction is situated, it makes for a nice scenic break.

Are you fixed on the LMS Jesse? A private ironstone quarry line might be more prototypical, give you the chance to have a characterful industrial loco (and I know a man who makes nice resin ironstone hoppers).

Baz i would also add every one of the High Level kits range. Chris Gibbons designs don't exactly fall together but are as close as you can get. He has thought through the assemblies though generally of very small prototypes they do have character. I would suggest that as a point to start kit building the High level kits are challanging but so well designed that they are a good point to start and great instructions! With assistance from kit builders local to you it could become your best looking and running locos. You may even get a thumbs up from that T Wright bloke! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Baz i would also add every one of the High Level kits range. Chris Gibbons designs don't exactly fall together but are as close as you can get. He has thought through the assemblies though generally of very small prototypes they do have character. I would suggest that as a point to start kit building the High level kits are challanging but so well designed that they are a good point to start and great instructions! With assistance from kit builders local to you it could become your best looking and running locos. You may even get a thumbs up from that T Wright bloke! 

Jesse, if you keep coming to BRMA meetings you will eventually meet Chris Williams. He is your go-to man for loco building (and nerron of this parish, whom you have already met, for coaches...)

Jesse looks great and your now getting as messy as the rest of us! 

It is interesting that your mates are now interested in or willing to assist with your hobby. It is good. I have mates that will look and just be amazed but I try not to bore them....this includes my parents who still can't understand.... they keep having a look and saying I have done so much.... not really done much on the layout in 5 years that any one would notice! 

Drop saws are wonderful things (for strange reasons I have now ended up with 2!) it makes the tight joints so easy as you can cut down to 1/4 of a mm... it is only just the teeth taking a shave off. I purchased mine (well the first one) to do my skirtings and architraves when I extended the house. It has a heap of use over the years. 

your layout is looking great!

Thanks mate, Mitch has already mentioned that he will buy a loco so when he is over he can run his loco on the layout. 

I need to get one, they are so much fun!!! 

Are you fixed on the LMS Jesse? A private ironstone quarry line might be more prototypical, give you the chance to have a characterful industrial loco (and I know a man who makes nice resin ironstone hoppers).

Thats not a bad idea, would it be a single line or double? 

With a very small amount of money. That is as the cost of a shoestring -very little.

Aha! Knew it was something obvious. 

Well that works out all good, still use the double track across the bridge, but have a crossover before the bridge as a loop siding and have the other track damaged/overgrown. Most likely what the ECML would look like about 20 years after my era.  :sarcastic: