Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Merry Christmas all, Christmas lunch is over and I am now playing trains in a very very very messy model railway room. For every beer I’ve had and continue to have is like a build up of mistakes, so far I’ve set the wrong roads about 4 times and ran an ECML express via the Nottingham lines.....all in good fun. 

managed to get this shot earlier on....

8093AAD6-1922-4C8F-BDD5-DB3E90836B29.jpeg.ec434191d4169863b3725a3910a4e2eb.jpeg

All the best

Jesse 

Good afternoon Jesse,

Good to see the Raven A2 working (well?). I'm glad my tweaking of the tender's ride height didn't adversely affect its running.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Jesse,

Good to see the Raven A2 working (well?). I'm glad my tweaking of the tender's ride height didn't adversely affect its running.

Regards,

Tony. 

She’s running beautifully, the B16 however is being a pain, the anchor for the motor came off, I don’t think she likes curves....

I’ll keep tweaking her, plus the track needs a good clean....might start with that first. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

She’s running beautifully, the B16 however is being a pain, the anchor for the motor came off, I don’t think she likes curves....

I’ll keep tweaking her, plus the track needs a good clean....might start with that first. 

The anchor should just solder back on.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, richard i said:

Can do, as long as it does not lift and touch the inside of the boiler. 

Richard

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Yes, but not much.......

I think it may be a bit too much Tony, as Richard mentioned, it may be hitting the boiler. I plan on getting up early tomorrow morning and spending the entire day in the layout room, so I’ll investigate....

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been awfully quiet on here recently, but that doesn’t mean no modelling has been accomplished....

I have been working on some kits and paint a couple that have been rolling around in primer. 

From left to right: 

This is a RTR wagon that I’ve added a load, a folded up tarp and then all tied down with rope, a D&S GE cattle wagon (with cattle inside) and a Parkside Grain hopper wagon. 

DCB3C5A2-93F9-47EF-A215-5DE36E8F3323.jpeg.64e7e4289026fab759c80f7ea36c1921.jpeg

Two David Green LY, now LMS bolster wagons, awaiting lettering, does anyone know how they would have been lettered and numbered? I can’t find any pictures...

Next is a Wizards models CR, now LMS Van and a Kirk GWR python that’s half way through weathering. 

Ive got an order with Markits for some wheels, which will see me get started on a Nu cast J6 and many other kits. 

EBC8A455-9A6B-49B5-9D36-031A5FD138F2.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

54 minutes ago, Barry O said:

All coming along. I 5hink the bolsters need the small LMS lettering plus numbers and aloaded weight. Tare should be on the right hand side.

See you Saturday 

Baz

Excellent thanks Baz, and yes see you Saturday, you must have brought the rain with you! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hope you take proper care of your (very nice) loaded Cattle Wagon; running it in the proper place in a train and stopping to water the cattle at appropriate intervals.

I was going to ask if you had enough water in your continent, but there was a very sad news article yesterday about dairy/livestock farms in the aftermath of bushfires. I hope you and yours are not too badly affected.

On 16/01/2020 at 20:18, drmditch said:

I hope you take proper care of your (very nice) loaded Cattle Wagon; running it in the proper place in a train and stopping to water the cattle at appropriate intervals.

I was going to ask if you had enough water in your continent, but there was a very sad news article yesterday about dairy/livestock farms in the aftermath of bushfires. I hope you and yours are not too badly affected.

It will be behind the locomotive, appropriate as it gave a smoother ride for the cattle...

speaking of the fires, Barry must have brought some rain with him from the UK as it absolutely bucketed down last week and over the weekend

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

It will be behind the locomotive, appropriate as it gave a smoother ride for the cattle...

speaking of the fires, Barry must have brought some rain with him from the UK as it absolutely bucketed down last week and over the weekend

Hi Jesse

Since Barry departed from our shores we have had sunshine, cold and frosty but nice when the sun is up.

The only time I can recall seeing cattle in railway wagons they were being shunted at Caernarfon. They were not best pleased in fact their mooing was louder than the 8f (or was it a black five) doing the shunting. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 22/01/2020 at 00:41, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jesse

Since Barry departed from our shores we have had sunshine, cold and frosty but nice when the sun is up.

The only time I can recall seeing cattle in railway wagons they were being shunted at Caernarfon. They were not best pleased in fact their mooing was louder than the 8f (or was it a black five) doing the shunting. 

Barry clearly is the weatherman then. 

interesting about the cattle, every time I’m out whoop whoop you hardly hear them, perhaps they didn’t like the idea of crammed into a wagon with a hundred others....All I can think of is how many steaks that would make...

Thats one pro with making your own cattle wagons from a kit is the placing of model cows inside, can’t do that with a RTR cattle wagon. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Due to myself being flat broke I’ve decided on tackling some kits that have been in my drawers for the last year or 2.

Here we have a D&S ECJS Luggage Brake, just need some bogies and she’s ready to crack on. 

C70CE13B-8103-450C-AD73-D4B45460CE97.jpeg

I assume it's a Dia. 42 Luggage Brake Van, Jesse?

Three of these were built at Cowlairs in 1901, Nos 289/90/1. 

From Ken Hoole's book on ECJS ' When built they had gangway connections at one end only. No. 289 was renumbered Van 147 in October 1925 and transferred to Great Easten Section stock in February 1928. No 290 was condemned in April 1927, and 291 became Van 149.'

Definitely 8' bogies, probably Fox. 

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Tony. 

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I assume it's a Dia. 42 Luggage Brake Van, Jesse?

Three of these were built at Cowlairs in 1901, Nos 289/90/1. 

From Ken Hoole's book on ECJS ' When built they had gangway connections at one end only. No. 289 was renumbered Van 147 in October 1925 and transferred to Great Easten Section stock in February 1928. No 290 was condemned in April 1927, and 291 became Van 149.'

Definitely 8' bogies, probably Fox. 

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Tony. 

Indeed it is, I wonder if much would have to be changed to make it a Dia. 36, as they lasted a bit later into my era of 35-40. I’m sure JW will be along shortly....

Thanks for that Tony

I'll be interested to see if you can make decent ends for the clerestory roof, with smooth, even curvature across their width as well as along their length, using only the strip of plasticard supplied in the kit. I couldn't, so you're one-up on me if you succeed.

Edited by gr.king

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I'll be interested to see if you can make decent ends for the clerestory roof, with smooth, even curvature across their width as well as along their length, using only the strip of plasticard supplied in the kit. I couldn't, so you're one-up on me if you succeed.

I highly doubt I will, but I’ll take that challenge, what are we betting if I do succeed? 

What diagram is your one Mr King? Do you mind posting a photo for me? 

Hi Jesse

I note you are now building a D&S clerestory roof ex ECJS brake. I should have one of these kits in the not too distant future - I've sourced one which is currently a bit mixed up with other unmade kits and the parts are being sorted by the person overseeing the disposal of these models!

In case you are not aware there are some useful historical and modelling tips for these in one of Steve Banks' pages - see below.

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/104-ex-ecjs-brake-van

Also Steve's page on the Howlden flat roofed 45' brake is of use for some modelling tips. I have one of these to build along with the similar milk van.

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/287-ex-gnr-howlden-bogie-van

I actually suspect that the sides for both the clerestory 46'6" brake and the 45' flat roofed brake are the same as the extra 1'6" is taken up with the bow ends on the clerestory brake.

Steve indicates that the ECJS Dia 36 is a variation of Dia 42 andf that there is a plan of it in NERA publication "Plans of East Coast Joint Stock", David Williamson, North Eastern Railway Association,1999, revised and enlarged 2001 and 2004. I have asked Doug Newton in Melbourne if he has a copy of this publication.

I'm currently building a Howlden triplet to Dia 218T from 3 D&S 6 wheel coaches - you'll be able to see that running at the BRMA Convention in October in Adelaide.

Happy modelling.

Regards

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Further Jesse, I've found I have a photo I took of Graeme's brake when I visited him in 2013. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it on here for you. It appears to be the Dia 36 vehicle transferred to the GN area in April 1928, and renumbered 4035 by the LNER.

Andrew 

DSC_5070 cropped s.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sorry just surfacing... (work its a 4 letter word you know) No I don't have much in the way of information on carriages. I am currently distracted from them by a pair of V2's I am building. They are Martin Finney kits and I am a long way into the chassis at the moment but I have a problem with clearance on the front crank pins! I have had a bit of work on a NER auto coach but that was around Christmas which was a distraction from the V2's but I a back onto them at the moment. I wasn't happy either with the way the Auto Coaches were working out.