Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

12 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi to all the guys in Oz.....

Been reading your postings and can I add please  my best wishes to all who have been grappling with the conditions lately.....hope the situation settles soon for all.

As a young 'bubber' I used to live in Greycliffe Street, Queenscliff, Manly and can just recall ash falling into the area from bushfires brought in on a northwest wind, but nothing as horrible as you guys have been contending with recently.

All the best matey...

Bob

Cheers mate, apparently all the fires around my area are out, due to the drenching we had last week, with more rain forecasted for tonight. It’s Australia but, we get 4 seasons in 1 day, we complain when it’s too hot and dry and we complain when it’s too cold and wet.... 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Cheers mate, apparently all the fires around my area are out, due to the drenching we had last week, with more rain forecasted for tonight. It’s Australia but, we get 4 seasons in 1 day, we complain when it’s too hot and dry and we complain when it’s too cold and wet.... 

Cheers,

Sounds similar over here lately, been a generally mild winter but looks likely as we go into March, which meteorologically speaking is 'spring' that's when winter arrives!

Take care...

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Agree 1

Hello, no, if it's already painted then leave it as is.   I think it would have been roped, rope was much more readily available than chain and quite adequate for that job.

There are lots of pictures of this kind of thing roped to wagons - a rope to each buffer stock from the axle then a further rope round the two ropes to tighten them.   If you've not foudn them, look up the Barrowmore MRG and they have scans of the loading books which should tell you how to do it.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Hello, no, if it's already painted then leave it as is.   I think it would have been roped, rope was much more readily available than chain and quite adequate for that job.

There are lots of pictures of this kind of thing roped to wagons - a rope to each buffer stock from the axle then a further rope round the two ropes to tighten them.   If you've not foudn them, look up the Barrowmore MRG and they have scans of the loading books which should tell you how to do it.

No no I take your word for it, if the Wagon Meister says rope, you use rope! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

If I’d known he’d be here in 2 weeks time I would have left it for him. I think Johns layout is first on agenda but. 

Not quite ready this time round. Perhaps in 2022...

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry about the sides cock up, I've done it loads of times as I spin things round on the bench and put stuff on upside down and inside out. I could fill the thread with them.

Here's my take on the luggage brake, made from a Hornby Gresley shortie.

228.JPG.bb5e60b0bf7bb1799dfcebc0d96639ab.JPG

No doubt with some errors but at 3' viewing distance I'm buggered if I can see them :rolleyes:

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Don't worry about the sides cock up, I've done it loads of times as I spin things round on the bench and put stuff on upside down and inside out. I could fill the thread with them.

Here's my take on the luggage brake, made from a Hornby Gresley shortie.

228.JPG.bb5e60b0bf7bb1799dfcebc0d96639ab.JPG

No doubt with some errors but at 3' viewing distance I'm buggered if I can see them :rolleyes:

I quite agree, this is only my second brass kit I’ve made, not bad if you ask me. On that note about the ECJS brake, the DS instructions said that in ECJS livery the roof was a salmon pink, is this true? I think it would have been horrible and wouldn’t have stayed that colour for long! 

5 hours ago, geoff west said:

All part of the learning curve Jesse.

My vocabulary has expanded no end since I started building kits.

Like Tony has always said, “I can teach him a lot about kits and modelling, but I can’t teach him anymore about swearing, I’m learning from him!” 

I think you said last November Geoff, “don’t worry I’m just as bad as him” pointing at Tony, I think the three of us had a great afternoon that day.