Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

No matter, that’s just a red dot against your name now, which makes one for you and 600+ for me 

Just think, Jesse (no 'i'), by the time you're my age you probably won't be able to speak your own name, let alone spell it. Or that of anyone else!

Regards,

Toney.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just think, Jesse (no 'i'), by the time you're my age you probably won't be able to speak your own name, let alone spell it. Or that of anyone else!

Regards,

Toney.

As long as I can find the pub and remember where the toilet is, I class that as an absolute win! 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

As long as I can find the pub and remember where the toilet is, I class that as an absolute win! 

So long as you don't get the two confused, you should be okay...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

When I attended Warley last November I got myself scanned for a mini version of myself, Paul (PMP) kindly offered to paint the two versions of myself, they arrived last week and I’ve been cracking on with the signal box to put myself on the model. The 4mm scale version will be used and the 7mm one will be just for a bit of show. 

Many thanks Paul they both look fantastic! 

05ABF79D-B5B8-4CCD-B1D6-E25C3FE7AE70.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

When I attended Warley last November I got myself scanned for a mini version of myself, Paul (PMP) kindly offered to paint the two versions of myself, they arrived last week and I’ve been cracking on with the signal box to put myself on the model. The 4mm scale version will be used and the 7mm one will be just for a bit of show. 

Many thanks Paul they both look fantastic! 

05ABF79D-B5B8-4CCD-B1D6-E25C3FE7AE70.jpeg

A 7mm scale model? You're on a slippery slope now young man...

• Agree 2

I was gifted two Parkside Plate wagons back in November, they needed painting and transfers, they were plonked in a train and that was that. Now in lockdown I cracked on with some kits, one of those was a Cambrian Models LNER quint D bolster wagon, upon further investigation they used plate wagons as runner wagons for oversized loads.....well then I thought! 

So here they are, considering my layout is set between 1935 and 1940 the plate wagons are modelled as new wagons, whilst the bolster will be weathered. The bolster still needs some touch up paint, transfers and weathering, the plate wagons only need the buffers painted. I’m quite happy with how this looks, it will make a good addition to my heavy goods train. 

28EFB5B4-95EB-499A-BF9C-946A11C9FC09.jpeg

905CF1CE-9EEC-4198-841C-CAE04D9FE0D1.jpeg

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, Sharky said:

Be a bit cold in there without any glass in the windows...

I decided to model it without any glass, as I have built and painted all of the interior, I’m kind of hopeless with putting glazing in. This way you can see all the interior on inside. 

Edited by Jesse Sim

21 hours ago, Sharky said:

Be a bit cold in there without any glass in the windows...

Hi Jesse,

I use strips of 140 micron overhead transparency film for all my;  glazing, coaches, dmu's whatever, held in place with Glue & Gglaze with an ocassional dab of epoxy glue if a bit extra strength is neded in curved corners.

Roja

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

Hi Jesse,

I use strips of 140 micron overhead transparency film for all my;  glazing, coaches, dmu's whatever, held in place with Glue & Gglaze with an ocassional dab of epoxy glue if a bit extra strength is neded in curved corners.

Roja

Hi,

just gone through my post.  Oops, typos and punctuation errors!  Am I bothered?  No, it's Wednesday!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I decided to model it without any glass, as I have built and painted all of the interior, I’m kind of hopeless with putting glazing in. This way you can see all the interior on inside. 

Glazing isn't that difficult.

Just task a bit of patience.

Even using the plastic from any packaging will do.
Just cut it to fit behind the whole window, use PVA or 'Micro Kirstal Klear' to fix it to the back of the frames.

(Using a tooth pick or cocktail stick helps a lot applying the glue where you want it).
It will enhance the building  quite a lot.

And the best part about using PVA is it's easily reversible and easy to pick of the excess. :wink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Not much to post lately, I did however work on some concrete slabs for the signal box and coal merchant office today. 

3221FC44-DF75-40ED-8BDA-D429190F7C1A.jpeg

1246D951-16F1-4EFE-9E97-BEF456331FD2.jpeg

Good evening Jesse,

As well as the glazing, don't forget the safety rails on the veranda. How is it accessed, anyway? From the far end? It's usually accessed from the end with the steps. 

195066754_60027onUpElizabethan05.jpg.7e215409a564f289f4e00f011d69f0f5.jpg

Like this; Bytham's GN 'box, built by Bob Dawson. The horizontal wooden rails would probably swing or lift out; or, perhaps, they shouldn't be there. 

258151855_RM012HALOTHEWYND.jpg.9fce01e5db671c28e2dd6032ecec8101.jpg

There was no access at this end (unless the bobby slid the windows open). 

The safety rails were essential to prevent someone cleaning the windows falling off the veranda. Some 'boxes had a rail attached to the window frames.

236460425_LBMGNRbox.jpg.93a13d683487849846b95c69dd4b4a68.jpg

Bytham's M&GNR 'box. Ian Wilson and I made this. I made the safety rails from brass wire of the appropriate diameter, soldering it all together. 

I don't know any signal boxes without some form of safety rails.

Keep safe and keep modelling.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Jesse,

As well as the glazing, don't forget the safety rails on the veranda. How is it accessed, anyway? From the far end? It's usually accessed from the end with the steps. 

195066754_60027onUpElizabethan05.jpg.7e215409a564f289f4e00f011d69f0f5.jpg

Like this; Bytham's GN 'box, built by Bob Dawson. The horizontal wooden rails would probably swing or lift out; or, perhaps, they shouldn't be there. 

258151855_RM012HALOTHEWYND.jpg.9fce01e5db671c28e2dd6032ecec8101.jpg

There was no access at this end (unless the bobby slid the windows open). 

The safety rails were essential to prevent someone cleaning the windows falling off the veranda. Some 'boxes had a rail attached to the window frames.

236460425_LBMGNRbox.jpg.93a13d683487849846b95c69dd4b4a68.jpg

Bytham's M&GNR 'box. Ian Wilson and I made this. I made the safety rails from brass wire of the appropriate diameter, soldering it all together. 

I don't know any signal boxes without some form of safety rails.

Keep safe and keep modelling.

Regards,

Tony. 

Cheers Tony, The roof will come off, so I think I’ll have a go at the glazing and I will also do the safety rails. 

The verandah doesn’t go all the way round, does that matter?