Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jesse

As a fellow modeller of things North Eastern (actually the GNR to Leeds in the early BR period), I've been watching this thread for a little while.  I have to say, your layout is coming along nicely with some beautiful trackwork. 

A word of caution regarding your hidden sidings, make sure you can easily access them when finished.  I have 5 sidings under a second level and spent a lot of time getting my trackwork right, but even so, I still get the occasional problem, especially when I have friends around and lose concentration for a bit.  I'm not sure if you have DCC, but the ability to run one train up another's behind seems to increase 10 fold when there is someone else watching.

I too copped a heap of crap when at school for my hobby, and it took me a while to shake that off, but once I had mates who were interested, all that didn't matter anymore and there's nothing better than sharing a cold beer while running trains.

Keep up the great work, and if you are ever in Brisbane at all, sing out and we can set up a running session, with or without beer!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Hi Jesse,

The layout is progressing well.  Clear sidings and access are very important.  

Tony, I think I know your problem.  "there's nothing better than sharing a cold beer while running trains." lol.

I am currently building some Kirk 61' Gresley Teaks for the layout.  A couple of years ago I bought 20 kits for $10ea from a deceased estate in Melbourne (Oz).  So far I have built a Full brake, finished just before Hornby announced theirs and a Rest first.  I bought a Comet Restaurant Triplet Set which was part finished, just interior and roof detail to do, which is done.  I have part constructed a End Vest 3rd and a Composite.  Next will be a 5 compartment Brake and an End Vest Composite.  I have a Silver Jubilee set nearly finished and  once these 4 coaches have been completed I will start on the Coronation set.

Some time I will try a post a photo or 2.

Jesse's layout is DCC as you can see his NCE handsets in the photo of the Control Panel.

I think seeing some excellent layouts, such as Grantham, Retford, Little Bytham are truly inspirational.  I was lucky to see The Gresley Beat and Gainsborough MRC (O gauge) when in the UK.

keep up the excellent work

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Jesse

As a fellow modeller of things North Eastern (actually the GNR to Leeds in the early BR period), I've been watching this thread for a little while.  I have to say, your layout is coming along nicely with some beautiful trackwork. 

A word of caution regarding your hidden sidings, make sure you can easily access them when finished.  I have 5 sidings under a second level and spent a lot of time getting my trackwork right, but even so, I still get the occasional problem, especially when I have friends around and lose concentration for a bit.  I'm not sure if you have DCC, but the ability to run one train up another's behind seems to increase 10 fold when there is someone else watching.

I too copped a heap of crap when at school for my hobby, and it took me a while to shake that off, but once I had mates who were interested, all that didn't matter anymore and there's nothing better than sharing a cold beer while running trains.

Keep up the great work, and if you are ever in Brisbane at all, sing out and we can set up a running session, with or without beer!

Cheers

Tony

Hey Tony, 

Thanks for the kind words, really appreciate it. Not to worry, they are easy to reach to underneath. No need for real cleaning as the loco will sit at the start of the siding, which is on the other side of the back scene. Plenty of room to get my hands down the guts. 

My parents actually just booked flights to bu**er off for a few days up there tomorrow, for a funeral, so not a happy trip, but still, a couple of nights away from work will do them good. 

I will certainly take you up on that offer mate, cheers. Like wise if you're ever down here in Sydney. 

Jesse 

Edited by Jesse Sim

Hi Jesse,

The layout is progressing well.  Clear sidings and access are very important.  

Tony, I think I know your problem.  "there's nothing better than sharing a cold beer while running trains." lol.

I am currently building some Kirk 61' Gresley Teaks for the layout.  A couple of years ago I bought 20 kits for $10ea from a deceased estate in Melbourne (Oz).  So far I have built a Full brake, finished just before Hornby announced theirs and a Rest first.  I bought a Comet Restaurant Triplet Set which was part finished, just interior and roof detail to do, which is done.  I have part constructed a End Vest 3rd and a Composite.  Next will be a 5 compartment Brake and an End Vest Composite.  I have a Silver Jubilee set nearly finished and  once these 4 coaches have been completed I will start on the Coronation set.

Some time I will try a post a photo or 2.

Jesse's layout is DCC as you can see his NCE handsets in the photo of the Control Panel.

I think seeing some excellent layouts, such as Grantham, Retford, Little Bytham are truly inspirational.  I was lucky to see The Gresley Beat and Gainsborough MRC (O gauge) when in the UK.

keep up the excellent work

Mark

Gee, i need to get me hand on some kits, struck yourself a gold mine there! Chuck a few pictures up on here, I don't mind at all. 

Talk about the NCE, brought another controller for the fiddle yard and i cant get the bloody thing to work!

I was never expecting to visit Retford, Tony Wright really sprung and surprised me with that, it was an excellent day. I was able to meet the owner of The Gresley Beat, at Warley 2016, whilst i was helping the Grantham boys set up. Cliff isn't it? Never seen the layout I'm afraid. 

Thanks Mark

Jesse

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been flat out like a lizard drinking getting everything prepared for Brighton Junctions first running day. Not up to where I planned to be, but it will do. 

The before shots of cleaning. 

post-25906-0-70706100-1512096910_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-69090500-1512096945_thumb.jpg

Ill post the after photos later today! 

• Like 2

Drank a couple bottles of water and soft drink. Oh, and the bridge in the second photo between the two bottles.

Have a great day.  Hope all runs well.  If any thing goes wrong it is usually when others are watching.

I did notice you had a Coronation set (or is it a west riding set?).  Which make is it and where did you get it?  Is a kit or rtr model?

Mark

• Like 1

Drank a couple bottles of water and soft drink. Oh, and the bridge in the second photo between the two bottles.

Have a great day.  Hope all runs well.  If any thing goes wrong it is usually when others are watching.

I did notice you had a Coronation set (or is it a west riding set?).  Which make is it and where did you get it?  Is a kit or rtr model?

Mark

I tend to open them, have a sip and then forget about them!

She's a Coronation, she's a Golden Age set and she's for sale! 

Well, cleaning is 90% complete. Off to work now, then some vacuuming before my mates arrive later this arvo. 

post-25906-0-04606100-1512154925_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-60051700-1512154972_thumb.jpg

Work bench has been cleaned and eveyrhting organised, funnily enough, when its messy i know where everything is. NOW, i cant find sh*t.  :sarcastic:

post-25906-0-41091500-1512155028_thumb.jpg

Fiddle yard all stocked and ready to run.

post-25906-0-32644500-1512155063_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Nice layout guys but you do know that a tidy workbench is the sign of a diseased mind right??...... :O  ....LOL... ;)

Regards Lez.Z.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, cleaning is 90% complete. Off to work now, then some vacuuming before my mates arrive later this arvo. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0068.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0072.JPG

Work bench has been cleaned and eveyrhting organised, funnily enough, when its messy i know where everything is. NOW, i cant find sh*t.  :sarcastic:

attachicon.gifIMG_0070.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0074.JPG

Very nice Jesse. Are you sure you've got enough power drills (photo 3)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_0068.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0072.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0070.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0074.JPG

How did it go?

Well, Saturday's running day was an absolute success, everything ran very very well. Only a few problems arose, a J11 completely stopped working, then worked fine 20 minutes later, another J11 didn't like the point work, the lead driving wheels kept derailing and the Spam Cam my friends brought along kept jumping at one turnout in the fiddle yard,could be the track, must investigate. 

Overall it was a very enjoyable afternoon, a few beers were put down with lots of laughter. They all agreed that they can't wait to come back, agreeing that they will get the hang of my operational instructions!  :rtfm: Would have been a lot easier if all the fiddleyard point motors were installed, but I couldn't help myself, needed to run some trains for my own sanity. I already have a booking for the BRMA group in April, not to sure on the dates, but plenty of time to get some more work completed to allow operation to be smoother. 

The layout ran beautifully, not a hiccough in sight. We mainly sat on the ECML, didn't use the Nottingham Junction as much. Everything glided through the point work and the boys enjoyed the afternoon immensely. 

The first visitors of the afternoon, my good mate Mitch, who has been an incredible help to me these past few weeks, helping me with wiring and also not hesitating to jump underneath the boards before the visitors were set to arrive, to tackle a failed point motor. Here he is having a little play, warming up the engines before the session? 

post-25906-0-80768500-1512334101_thumb.jpg

Mitch and his manager Aaron. Aaron out of nowhere picked up the vacuum and got stuck into it. Might have to get him over more often.  :sarcastichand:

post-25906-0-16655800-1512334144_thumb.jpg

Steve and Andrew, my good friends from Woodpecker Model Railways. They really enjoyed the day and brought some Southern rubbish locos to run.

post-25906-0-69213500-1512334197_thumb.jpg

Hmm, LNER advertising of some sort? 

post-25906-0-86133200-1512334229_thumb.jpg

Another good friend Mick also came round, however, the loco he brought didn't want to run for some reason. 

post-25906-0-76288600-1512334275_thumb.jpg

It was a lovely afternoon, a big thankyou to the fellas that came to the first of many running sessions. Can't wait till next time. 

From left to right; Mick, Andrew, Steve and myself. 

post-25906-0-04528900-1512334536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Well, Saturday's running day was an absolute success, everything ran very very well. Only a few problems arose, a J11 completely stopped working, then worked fine 20 minutes later, another J11 didn't like the point work, the lead driving wheels kept derailing and the Spam Cam my friends brought along kept jumping at one turnout in the fiddle yard,could be the track, must investigate. 

Overall it was a very enjoyable afternoon, a few beers were put down with lots of laughter. They all agreed that they can't wait to come back, agreeing that they will get the hang of my operational instructions!  :rtfm: Would have been a lot easier if all the fiddleyard point motors were installed, but I couldn't help myself, needed to run some trains for my own sanity. I already have a booking for the BRMA group in April, not to sure on the dates, but plenty of time to get some more work completed to allow operation to be smoother. 

The layout ran beautifully, not a hiccough in sight. We mainly sat on the ECML, didn't use the Nottingham Junction as much. Everything glided through the point work and the boys enjoyed the afternoon immensely. 

The first visitors of the afternoon, my good mate Mitch, who has been an incredible help to me these past few weeks, helping me with wiring and also not hesitating to jump underneath the boards before the visitors were set to arrive, to tackle a failed point motor. Here he is having a little play, warming up the engines before the session? 

attachicon.gifIMG_0078.JPG

Mitch and his manager Aaron. Aaron out of nowhere picked up the vacuum and got stuck into it. Might have to get him over more often.  :sarcastichand:

attachicon.gifIMG_0080.JPG

Steve and Andrew, my good friends from Woodpecker Model Railways. They really enjoyed the day and brought some Southern rubbish locos to run.

attachicon.gifIMG_0083.JPG

Hmm, LNER advertising of some sort? 

attachicon.gifIMG_0085.JPG

Another good friend Mick also came round, however, the loco he brought didn't want to run for some reason. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0090.JPG

It was a lovely afternoon, a big thankyou to the fellas that came to the first of many running sessions. Can't wait till next time. 

From left to right; Mick, Andrew, Steve and myself. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0092.JPG

Well done. I'll bring some decent beer though when I come over.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT:

I'll be starting on bridge building soon, whats the best way to model brickwork?

Plastic card, then computer chads?

Plastic card, then card brick work?

MDF, then card brick work?

Forget about the bridges and go the pub?

cheers all!