Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

1 hour ago, geoff west said:

Looking good, Jesse.

You've beaten me to it, i'm going to try the same on Hadley Green once i've finished extending the boards.

I also got the idea from Simon. It does look very effective on Heaton Lodge Junction.

Regards,

Geoff.

I highly recommend it, I feel a bit of a cheat, Simon spent a year working out the best way to create winter (no capital letter, I’m learning) grass and I’ve come along and just taken it. But he did do a step by step process and I don’t think he’d mind. 

One thing I would say Geoff is cover the tracks with newspaper as I didn’t and I now have to go along and clean it... rookie mistake, I was too excited to get going! 

Also, don’t use your mums good blender either! I absolutely copped it last night......

“Where’s my good blender....” I ran for the hills! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

There was a burnt patch of cutting on Stoke Summit, Jonathan. 

I just plucked out most of the 'vegetation', then applied various acrylic shades representing burnt foliage/ash. 

People used to as if I'd actually set fire to it! A compliment to the modelling, I suppose.

It can be seen ahead of the B1.

49693098_1861208rear.jpg.f15c3b7ef31a553ac39cf82ecffeef0a.jpg

I think it's sometimes forgotten that in steam days 'controlled burns' were often undertaken. Certainly, the Bytham gang (sadly not one member surviving now) used to do this, to ensure that no further fires caused by a loco chucking out a cinder would then occur. 

Some 21 years ago, Dick Blenkinsop provided me with several photographs he'd taken on Stoke Bank between the summit and Creeton (just north of Little Bytham). He was out photographing SIR NIGEL GRESLEY during its post-War record-breaking run in the early summer of 1959. Just out of interest (and this was 20 years ago), I tried to reproduce some of his views. Would it surprise anyone that this (apart from one shot taken off the tall bridge just south of the summit) was impossible? Just mature trees everywhere, blocking any chance. And that was 20 years ago. They're even more mature now!

Regards,

Tony. 

Have you got a closer photograph by chance? 

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2021 at 09:25, Jesse Sim said:

Well, another milestone reached for Brighton Junction, Proper scenery started! 
3701D8EA-E2FB-4F09-8797-5A7440A8C910.jpeg.75339f0207fdc72f531192dba274292c.jpeg

Still plenty to do, but at least the scenery is started now. I’ll add more to the grass like weeds and small bushes but keeping in the fact that the embankments were always kept neat and tidy pre-war. 

Its impressive just what a difference adding some grass makes to a layout under construction.  Makes me want to get out to the garage and get some grass laid on Brent!   Just need the temperature to rise enough that the glue has a decent chance of drying.  Out of interest, what length fibres have you been using on it?

Very nice job on the milk tanks, I hadnt thought too much about the ability to convert these into other diagrams due to the moulded on brake handles.  Now I am starting to think I should give it a go and make some with Dean Churchward brakes.

On 28/01/2021 at 19:15, Jesse Sim said:

I highly recommend it, I feel a bit of a cheat, Simon spent a year working out the best way to create winter (no capital letter, I’m learning) grass and I’ve come along and just taken it. But he did do a step by step process and I don’t think he’d mind. 

One thing I would say Geoff is cover the tracks with newspaper as I didn’t and I now have to go along and clean it... rookie mistake, I was too excited to get going! 

Also, don’t use your mums good blender either! I absolutely copped it last night......

“Where’s my good blender....” I ran for the hills! 

Simon did a great step by step guide, I'm sure he won't mind us pinching it.

Good tip about covering the track Jesse, I probably would have made the same mistake in my haste to get the stuff down.

I will definitely get myself a cheap blender and not use mums, that wont end well for me. 

On 30/01/2021 at 22:05, Tomsontour said:

Looking superb buddy :) loving the mullet haha, which static grass applicator are you using as it's something I'm going to have think about this year in investing in :)

All the best

Matt

Hey Matt,

Cheers for that, its a woodland scenics one, id recommend it. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

G'day all, must apologise for the lack of updates on this thread, I've lost all my mojo recently, I think the lack of funds and the new Harley Davidson (which caused the lack of funds) has put me off anything model railway related. Although I am starting to feel the spark again, might have some more wagons built, a GNR artic and the Milk train finished in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I have the same problem Jesse. Although in my case it's building a new filter for my koi pond and not a Harley that's stopped my progress. 

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

a GNR artic

You know where to send it when it's complete! 

If you manage to get some info on numbers/livery styles, I can probably get it 'finished' in that sense for you too. That way I can apply the transfers and seal them in when I seal the teaking. No pressure though. 

12 hours ago, Jack P said:

You know where to send it when it's complete! 

If you manage to get some info on numbers/livery styles, I can probably get it 'finished' in that sense for you too. That way I can apply the transfers and seal them in when I seal the teaking. No pressure though. 

You really want this southern kit aye ;) 

• Funny 1

Hi Jesse,

Great to hear you got your Harley. I imagine it is a very quiet bike.

It is interesting how you talk about your 'mojo'. I could say the same thing, I'm just busy with everything else that I need to get done.

I bought some brass wagon kits. I really should give them to you as I won't be getting near them for a couple of decades at the pace I'm going.

All the best

Rodney

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RodneyV said:

Hi Jesse,

It is interesting how you talk about your 'mojo'. I could say the same thing, I'm just busy with everything else that I need to get done.

I bought some brass wagon kits. I really should give them to you as I won't be getting near them for a couple of decades at the pace I'm going.

All the best

Rodney

I find that I get stuck with or blocked by certain things from time to time. At the moment it's Porthmellyn Road signal box, which hasn't progressed for nearly three weeks. Fortunately, there's always something quite different that I can press on with.

14 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

You really want this southern kit aye ;) 

I've already got one N15x, don't know how i'd justify 2! 

You think too little of me though, I just wanna help out my mate!

14 hours ago, RodneyV said:

Hi Jesse,

All the best

Rodney

It is most definitely not quiet... :laugh_mini:

Ive actually had a spark and did some work yesterday. 

What brass kits are they? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I find that I get stuck with or blocked by certain things from time to time. At the moment it's Porthmellyn Road signal box, which hasn't progressed for nearly three weeks. Fortunately, there's always something quite different that I can press on with.

I have seen you’ve done a fair bit, when’s the next running session? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I thought it was in April? Or did I miss that one? 

Nope. Third Saturday of odd-numbered months, as before. You missed the March session (our first since the pandemic started) because of the rain storms. I hope we'll soon get back to the regular rhythm.

• Like 2

B5 now has wheels and motor. Ready for the detail to be added and get into the paint shop. She’s going to be one of the B5’s on the eve of her superheated boiler. 

She will probably need a rebuilt later on in life, but with so many projects on the go I’m happy to just get her working on the layout. I’m short on some pre grouping work horses. 

BAF72818-8D8B-4E84-A0EA-487916DA3E52.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

B5 now has wheels and motor. Ready for the detail to be added and get into the paint shop. She’s going to be one of the B5’s on the eve of her superheated boiler. 

She will probably need a rebuilt later on in life, but with so many projects on the go I’m happy to just get her working on the layout. I’m short on some pre grouping work horses. 

BAF72818-8D8B-4E84-A0EA-487916DA3E52.jpeg

Nice photo but we're all waiting to see one of the new bike.

• Like 1